I never changed the oil in my Honda lawn mower in 11 years...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jhellwig
Oh god not this again.

I suspect that due to the relatively low activity level here, someone may have wanted to "stir the pot" to get some action. What better way than dragging up an ancient thread about a ancient lawnmower that has soldiered on for 22 years with next to no oil changes?

I'd say that in the real world, that mower is likely the norm, not the exception. There are millions of people who do not participate here. The simple reason is that they couldn't care less. The same goes for their equipment.

Regarding the actual topic, I use an hour meter on engines powering relative expensive machinery. Small motors on seasonal equipment, lawnmowers in particular get oil changes every so often, depending on use. Likely every five to ten years. They just don't get the use.

Not sure if you read the post about the old 5kw Honda generator that I worked on a few weeks ago? That thing was abused something awful. Black oil diluted with rancid gas, sat under a pile debris from a collapsed shed for ten years. I suspect it was somewhat sheltered due to the limited rust. Anyway, fresh gas and a clean spark plug is all it took to get it running.

Most half decent small engines are very forgiving. Hondas, or any other Japanese engine even more so.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: jhellwig
Oh for Pete sake. This thread is 11 years old.

Why do you people think I said 22year old mower?

Why is it such a taboo to post in an older thread?

Well when you have a known bitog troll bumping an 11 year old post for no apparent reason, its kinda frowned upon. There's that...

But since the discussion is open and can still be relevant for today, I'll add this.

If you have a mower that hadn't changed the oil in 11 years, change the oil. With cheap dino 30 weight. Run it for 5 hours. And than change it again with cheap dino 30 weight. Using synthetic oil in such a neglected engine is not the smartest thing you can do. Your engine will smoke and consume oil like the dickens.

As far as oiling the filter, the OP (11 years ago I might add) had a Honda. Honda has used paper filters for at least 25-30 years. They might have used foam in the 70's, but have pretty consistently used paper for at least 25 years.

Did you guys know this thread was 11 years old?

ahh, love these threads. Gives me the warm and fuzzy about not changing the oil on my mower or snowblower this year. T5 should last at least a couple of years considering how little use they both get.

What's a good snowblower oil for a craftsman gray smowblower from sears? I went and they only had 5w30 super s for 5.99 and a synthetic in a red bottle saying for useIin temperatures under 32 degrees fahrenheit and it was 7.99 and 5w30. Is super s a bad brand? Can I use sjow blower 5w30 in my camry in the winter or no and can I use car 5w30 ina snow blower or no because despite being the same grade, there are additives and things that are specific to the car or snow blower 5w30 or does it not matter? Thanks. Is the Briggs and stratton oil now oj clearnace at walmart a syb thetic or synblend or conventional? Its sae 30.

Originally Posted By: engineer20
What's a good snowblower oil for a craftsman gray smowblower from sears? I went and they only had 5w30 super s for 5.99 and a synthetic in a red bottle saying for useIin temperatures under 32 degrees fahrenheit and it was 7.99 and 5w30. Is super s a bad brand? Can I use sjow blower 5w30 in my camry in the winter or no and can I use car 5w30 ina snow blower or no because despite being the same grade, there are additives and things that are specific to the car or snow blower 5w30 or does it not matter? Thanks. Is the Briggs and stratton oil now oj clearnace at walmart a syb thetic or synblend or conventional? Its sae 30.

For a snowblower, use any 5W-30 such as Mobil, Pennzoil, Quaker State, Castrol, etc. Buy it from an auto parts store or Walmart.

so don't get the super s snow thrower oil from sears? THose said specially formulated for below 0 C or 32 F, so wouldn't those be better for a snow blower to be used in the cold or not necessarily, and could you use a 0w30 oil?

Originally Posted By: NateDN10
Originally Posted By: engineer20

For a snowblower, use any 5W-30 such as Mobil, Pennzoil, Quaker State, Castrol, etc. Buy it from an auto parts store or Walmart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back