When do you change your air filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jk_636
Originally Posted By: Olas
I change my air filter at six inches of water

Not sure I follow...

You don't change your air filter until you hit high water?

Sorry, I mean at a differential pressure of 6 inches of water, roughly equivalent to half an inch of mercury.

I have a filter minder mounted in the clean side of my airbox where the CCV hose used to be, it measures from 0-10 inches of water.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
The Focus has a "life time" filter with a restriction gauge, so I hope I never change it. The other cars get one every 30-40k miles. None of them ever look like they are causing restriction as you can see that only one part of the filter is dirty.

Man I feel sorry for you. My mother in law has a focus of that era and one of those "lifetime air filters" with a filter minder. Have you ever looked inside one of those? The ones I have seen have a baffle system that is open and for all intensive purposes empty. It doesn't filter for sh*t. Maybe the ones in the Canadian market were different than the U.S. ones, but here is an 04 I believe and it desperately needs an air filter.

It was a terrible system and was never designed to last. I spoke to a mechanic who told me that the focuses of that era were never designed to last more than 5 years and that when people trade them in full of problems, ford doesn't even bother fixing them or take them to auction. They just crush them and sell them to annhueser-Busch to make beer cans.

Rubbish

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/gener...r-focus-18.html

GM thought enough to include one of these on my 2004 Silverado. I assume that it was part of the optional towing package.

No guessing involved now.

em-products-misc-air-filter-restriction-gauge-300.jpg

My 2012 Ram manual says every 2 years or 32,000 miles. I changed the air filter about a year after I bought it since what limited info I had indicated the factory filter was still in service. I'm currently running a Fram Toughguard pre-oiled filter with zero problems to date. I plan to run the current filter 32K miles unless there's a problem.

I replaced the factory air filter on my wife's 2011 Mustang at around 25K miles with a STP air filter (no Fram Toughguard available for that application). The Mustang owner's manual says to change every 30K miles.

FWIW, I can get the Fram Toughguard air filters via Walmart.com about $5 cheaper than the Walmart in-store pricing. Weird, but it works for me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
The Focus has a "life time" filter with a restriction gauge, so I hope I never change it. The other cars get one every 30-40k miles. None of them ever look like they are causing restriction as you can see that only one part of the filter is dirty.

Man I feel sorry for you. My mother in law has a focus of that era and one of those "lifetime air filters" with a filter minder. Have you ever looked inside one of those? The ones I have seen have a baffle system that is open and for all intensive purposes empty. It doesn't filter for sh*t. Maybe the ones in the Canadian market were different than the U.S. ones, but here is an 04 I believe and it desperately needs an air filter.

It was a terrible system and was never designed to last. I spoke to a mechanic who told me that the focuses of that era were never designed to last more than 5 years and that when people trade them in full of problems, ford doesn't even bother fixing them or take them to auction. They just crush them and sell them to annhueser-Busch to make beer cans.

We'll see I guess, I'm not to worried about it anyways. So far the gauge still reads good and the intake actually has a little growl that I like. I only need a couple more years out of it to get my money out of it and after that its a bonus. Good car for me so far.

Seems to make sense to change on a vacuum reading, if you've got one, since that's a direct indication of filter performance.

Might make one sometime.

Mileage effect will be hugely variable, depending on the dustiness of the driving environment. Time even more so.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak
Interestingly, with respect to time, my Infiniti's manual calls for a mileage based interval, with a special notation that time is not be considered.

Makes sense where a vacuum guage isn't a standard fitting. I can't think of a plausible model for time-dependent degradation of an air filter.

Well, unless it got wet or something, or was in a place hit by UV, but both of those are unlikely. Even in agricultural equipment, seals lasted fairly well. I keep considering restriction gauges, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I think it's 24,000 km here, and that gives me plenty of time and the filters (the stupid things needs two) are very affordable.

Well, unless it got wet or something, or was in a place hit by UV, but both of those are unlikely.

I suppose theoretically the paper could oxidise, like old newspaper, but I think that's mostly down to acid treatment of modern print-paper. If they don't do that, it should be pretty stable.

Or when my lawnmower's carb puked and soaked the filter element completely with gasoline....
wink.gif
But, I digress.

Should be OK, surely? Unless petrol permanently weakens it. You'd probably have to let it dry out before running the engine otherwise it'd run a bit rich for a while, and maybe collapse due to the restriction of the liquid filling the filter pores.

If its premix 2-stroke it might be permanently oil-clogged.

I didn't bother risking it. The carb needed some parts from my small engine guy anyhow, so he tossed on a fresh air filter. Off topic, it's sure wonderful how E0 from new (and it still was essentially new, barely a season old) prevented that fiasco from happening.
whistle.gif

On the farm, we actually used to wash out the foam elements in gas when they got really greasy. I've never experimented with getting the actual paper element wet with gas, and never felt the urge to try, either.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back