Oskkosh JLTV

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Army's new replacement for the Humvee. It looks like it's built for war and can stop a bullet, but what about the tires? What's keeping the enemy from shooting the tires out?

pentagon-awards-contract-to-oskkosh-defense-to-replace-humvees-1108576-TwoByOne.jpg

With the award of this contract, Oshkosh pretty much becomes the exclusive supplier of wheeled vehicles to the Army. Interesting that they are using the Duramax engine in the JLTV.

The tires are "self sealing" with a layer of goo inside which dries quickly when exposed to air. Obviously enough rounds from a Mother Deuce, or the like, would shred the tire and the goo wouldn't be of any help.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Every news outlet has been reporting for two days that it is...

So what? "Every news outlet", has been reporting for years that the Beretta M-9 pistol is "going to be replaced", by this, that, or the other thing. You see where that has gone. I'm not saying they won't add more of them, (MRAP's), to the inventory. But they are not going to replace the Humvee with them.

MRAP isn't a specific vehicle, it stands for Mine Resistant Ambush Protected. Hummers can't be armored heavy enough to protect our guys today. They weren't designed for it. It will obviously take years to replace the hummers. My work was involved in up-armor for hummers, protection is always behind the newest threat. One of the MRAP design traits is a v-hull bottom to deflect blast.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Every news outlet has been reporting for two days that it is...

So what? "Every news outlet", has been reporting for years that the Beretta M-9 pistol is "going to be replaced", by this, that, or the other thing. You see where that has gone. I'm not saying they won't add more of them, (MRAP's), to the inventory. But they are not going to replace the Humvee with them.

Actually, many 1911s have been reissued to troops. (My brother's company commander in Afghanistan carried one.)

This is an International MaxxPro. It is an MRAP. It weighs somewhere between 28,000 and 32,000 lbs.
1920px-Navistar_MaxxPro.JPG

This is an Oshkosh L-ATV. It was determined to be the winner of the JLTV program. The JLTV is assumed to take over many of the roles performed by the HMMWV. The L-ATV weighs about 14,000 lbs.
pentagon-awards-contract-to-oskkosh-defense-to-replace-humvees-1108576-TwoByOne.jpg

They are not the same. Not even close.

Here's a really good article from back in 2012 that identifies the differences in roles and capabilities between the two. Don't worry, it's not from the mainstream media. You'll have to find another reason to complain about it:
http://www.military.com/daily-news/2012/...8004&rank=1

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Actually, many 1911s have been reissued to troops.

The M-9 has been the service pistol since 1985. The Humvee was first received by the military 2 years before that in 1983. The fact a few Special Ops. use 1911's and dune buggy's is irrelevant. Both will still be in the inventory by the time most on this board are dead. When the military "replaces" something, it takes decades, if not longer. How many years has the M-16 / M-4 been going away?

http://www.army-technology.com/features/...humvee-4381884/

The contract is for 17,000 vehicles. It's the replacement. Full stop.

I look for a few things to happen here. AM General specifically is going to be out of business effectively. So I expect them to protest the award.
If DOD has done things correctly, that may not work.

But politically it may still be possible, however unlikely, that the Army could say that having the vehicles sooner is so critical that they need to bring on a second source (AMG or LM). One of those would then build the Oshkosh design or supply major components. I say it's unlikely but it has been done many times in the past. Usually the reason is that to only have one supplier erodes the "mobility base -MoBase" which is our ability to surge in case of war.

In this case, I don't know. LM has the most lobbying clout. Maybe they try to team with AMG for a second source. In any event, it isn't over yet.

To the extent that it takes a long time to phase in a new platform this "replacement", billt460 is correct. It's going to be a good ten years or better to get 50,000+ JLTVs out there.
The HMMWVs fleet is very tired and used up as are many of our other weapons including ships and aircraft. As the US always does we wait to long to start recapitalizing equipment and it only costs more in the long run.

Originally Posted By: DeepFriar
http://www.army-technology.com/features/...humvee-4381884/
But politically it may still be possible.....Usually the reason is that to only have one supplier erodes the "mobility base -MoBase" which is our ability to surge in case of war....
In this case, I don't know. LM has the most lobbying clout. Maybe they try to team with AMG for a second source. In any event, it isn't over yet.

Lockheed-Martin filed a formal protest against the contract award today. Strangely AM General just rolled over so they must have other DOD business that could be prejudiced if they roil the acquisition community too much. DOD and the GAO will now have to review the award again and justify their selection. It will take a little time will be interesting to watch how it all falls out in the end.
36.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back