Late model AWD Astro/Safari thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZjeff

$50 Site Donor 2023
Thinking about one of these to lightly mod for backroads/ overnight camping duty. Arizona has a ton of exploring that doesn't need 33 inch tires and a ton of clearance to get to. Big enough to sleep in with the dogs, smaller than a full size, RWD, easy to lift a couple of inches, AWD t-case to true 4wd hi/lo t-case supposed to be a switch-out. The last refresh 03-05 apparently had worthwhile upgrades in undercarriage and brakes. Nothing else seems to be in this little slot.

Any glaring flaws or trouble spots you know about with these? GM slams not needed.

Maybe page GreeCguy (anyone hear from him lately?) and make an offer on the Luv machine?

Your in AZ, take it off road in the desert, maybe get it to star in a Roadkill episode?

I kid...

Standard early "00 vintage GM vices apply to Astro/Safari

I don't remember auto box's being particularly durable

These have the self imploding G80 rear end yeah?

I think they stopped making Astro in 2005 maybe 2008?. So no late models.I suppose they don't rust out in Arizona.

I had a 1990 that I sold in 2008 with 225,000 miles.The original engine threw a rod at 100,000 and the trans went shortly after. Other than that I loved my rustbucket Astro, it is the perfect size for one man camping/hunting trips without dragging a camper.I actually considered getting another but alas they stopped making them long ago.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris142
I get tons of those vans through my shop.never seen a 4wd one
Probably not a lot of the awd models in Cali. Around here there was a lot of them. We have worse conditions through the seasons. If I could find one with lower miles and a good price Id snatch one up for a snowmobiling rig.

I had a 95 model AWD for many years. Parents bought it new, I bought it off them at 65k miles and drove it to a little over 100k. Sold it in 2011.

Factory exhaust wasn't much to write home about. Rusted out in 4 years. Replacement systems averaged 3-4. Sidebar: a flow-through muffler helped immensely with exhaust restriction. Stock it would average 15 mpg, shot up to 17-18 when the mufflers would rust out. On the last system I threw a glasspack in there for laughs...and it kept getting 17-18.

Body rot started to claim the bottom of the sliding door and rear wheel arches by the end. Everywhere else was pretty ok.

Front torsion bars snapped at 75k, thankfully not while I was driving. GM dealer replaced them with updated parts and aligned the front end. Cost about $1000 in 2007. After reading some other forums this apparently is not uncommon, though I know of no repeat failures.

Had to replace an idler arm some time late in the game. Wasn't very spendy.

Engine and driveline never gave any problems, and were never serviced (sorry I made you spit out your Saturday morning coffee right there). 4L60-Es were pretty good behind a V6 as long as you didn't beat the tar out of them. I had the older viscous-style transfer case which doesn't apply to you.

Tune ups were a pain. Have to remove the wheel liners and go at the plugs with 5 miles of extensions. Did not have to work around a steering shaft or anything though.

Except for the torsion bars, it gets an honest thumbs up from me. Except for that one occurrence it never left either me or my parents high and dry in 16 years and never asked for much.

I have owned my '96 Astro since 1999. Bought it with 39k on it. For a while it was a money hole. But after the intake manifold gasket, rear axle seal, fuel pump, water pump, front stabilizer bar and links, idler arms and various smaller were fixes were done, it has not needed much in the past 7-8 years. Back then all I heard was "oh - that's a known issue - nope it is not under warranty" I was so sick of the repairs there for a while I wanted to sell. My mechanic told me most of the bad design, poor engineering and sub-par parts had been replaced. Glad I listened to him. It has been trouble free since then.

I never had any engine issues or trans issues (tow a 25 foot trailer - I did install the biggest trans cooler I could find), no exhaust issues - it has been pretty good overall. Currently at 120k. Has been through 20 Michigan winters, it has some rust underneath, but nothing terrible. Body is in good shape. Gas mileage sucks in the winter (13 mpg), but I can get 20-21 mpg on the highway in the summer. Still tows the trailer great. '95 was the year of the exterior refresh, '96 the interior was updated. That interior is huge when I take the buckets and rear bench out. I plan on driving for a long time yet.

The AWD versions are basically on Blazer/Bravada running gear...these are HEAVY vans, and the brakes, especially on an AWD, can be marginal with a full load. (Remember: it uses what are basically early-80's G-body brakes!)

They are tough enough that when GM announced they were dropping the Astro, the livery company I worked for ordered fifteen (12 Astros, three Safaris) the next day!

In 03 they got bigger brakes and 6 lug wheels from the 1/2 ton trucks. Only 500 lbs heavier than the 4 door Blazers. Going to keep looking for one and learning.

Thanks for the replies so far!

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Thinking about one of these to lightly mod for backroads/ overnight camping duty. Arizona has a ton of exploring that doesn't need 33 inch tires and a ton of clearance to get to. Big enough to sleep in with the dogs, smaller than a full size, RWD, easy to lift a couple of inches, AWD t-case to true 4wd hi/lo t-case supposed to be a switch-out. The last refresh 03-05 apparently had worthwhile upgrades in undercarriage and brakes. Nothing else seems to be in this little slot.

Any glaring flaws or trouble spots you know about with these? GM slams not needed.

No slams from me, these vans are totally great for the peculiar niche they fit into of mid sized RWD vans. Reliability of major components tends to be a strongpoint - at least of basic powertrain. (littler things sometimes an annoying issue, and the astros were heavier than the s10 they were based on and sometimes using the same parts for both was an issue) The 4.3 v6 is the classic definition of a last forever being 3/4 of a small block chevy, and the 4L60/TH700-R4 derived transmissions i've not heard to be a troublespot contrary to another poster. I endlessly see/hear of Astros with well over 300,000 miles on original transmissiosn without a problem (and would likely go longer if rust doesn't claim them or you still want to be driving it that much), and in the chevy caprices the same transmission would do a hard life of 150,000 miles cop duty then another 350,000 miles of nonstop taxi duty on the original transmissions with a more powerful engine. If there's evidence of trans trouble i'd love to see a reference.

Everything else on them should be S10 based which alot of off roaders love - if it's not strong enough stock, there are used aftermarket parts available - find someone upgrading his 32 inch tires to 36 inch tires and buy whatever he takes off the truck kind of stuff. If buying brand new for it all it can get a little spendy...

AWD ones are common in the north but so is the rust on them. Especially on a van that seems to rust a bit worse than others of the era. Converting to a shift-box 4WD shouldn't be hard because the Astro AWD box was used in the Bravada so i'd be surprised if everything doesn't just bolt between S10 parts and here.

A few things majorly in favor of the astro over others would be that major parts are widely available, cheap to replace, cheap to rebuild etc. I could get into an old astro and find rebuilt or low mile engine and trans for cheaper than any other van probably after which it would outlast every other van.

I see an extended Astro going the opposite way on my commute for a couple years now, he's got it lifted a couple inches, ~32" tires, steel bumpers with D-rings. Looks like a solid truck, not too tall, but still has reasonable approach angles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back