OCI with broken odometer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody else trying to maintain a decent OCI with a non-functional odometer? I need to sit down and figure out my average mileage, but in the past I've just done quarterly oil changes. This time, I think my use is a little easier on the engine as my main miles are a 70 mile highway commute, a 10 mile highway commute sometimes and a couple 0.5-2 mile trips here and there...

Try to figure out your weekly mileage then setup an OCI

If you have a smartphone there are apps to track mileage etc(the the smartphone gps)

I would use a lubricheck device. For whatever reason, it's not popular on bitog, but I like mine. I've wound up shortening the OCIs on two of my cars, and extending it on a third. I guess I underestimated how bad short tripping really was.

Two tips for it, clean it thoroughly, and use a consistent number of oil drops (6 drops for me).

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
Using fuel consumption as a guide might be the way to go.
Every 250 gallons?

Hey that's the number I was about to suggest

Years ago I had a vehicle with a broken odometer- I changed the oil at an estimated 3K miles or three months, whichever occurred first. From what I can remember I erred on the conservative side. Also, I knew the routes I drove pretty well, so it wasn't too bad in that regard.

But that was many years ago, when 3,000-mile oil changes were still in vogue and perhaps even necessary, considering the lubricating fluids of the era.

Originally Posted By: zach1900
Haven't seen a broken odometer in any car made in the last 25 years.

It's gotta be that '96 Mustang that he's got in his corral. Must of them eventually do it. Actually, the repair in simple, if not somewhat time-consuming. I think there are quite a few aftermarket companies that sell the gears, so that should tell you how often it happens to Mustangs of that era.

The odometer on the ranger is broken. I drive 27 miles one way to work. So ~54 miles a day.

I was doing 4 month OCI's with motorcraft 5w30 synthetic blend. Never did a uoa or anything. I'm sure it was still too soon though.

Now I'm driving the accent so the ranger is gonna drop to 6 month oci

Yeah, it is the Stang, and yeah I can get odo gears for $20-$30 with about 30-60min repair. Its 10s of thousands of miles off now, though so I was just thinking about cutting out the little extra expense. Probably will cave in an do it one of these rainy days, though.

Originally Posted By: zach1900
Haven't seen a broken odometer in any car made in the last 25 years.

Common issue on any Ford product of the early/mid '90s that has a mechanical odo(plastic self lubricating gears become brittle)... Had both '92 & '93 Grand Marquis that failed...

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Just go to the junk yard and pick up a used one for $40

Nope not trust worthy, aftermarket suppliers have the gears to repair...

Originally Posted By: buck91
Yeah, it is the Stang, and yeah I can get odo gears for $20-$30 with about 30-60min repair. Its 10s of thousands of miles off now, though so I was just thinking about cutting out the little extra expense. Probably will cave in an do it one of these rainy days, though.

I did the repair on my 95, replaced the gears and all the bulbs in the cluster. It was super easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back