'13 KTM Duke 690 Motorex 10/60w Crosspower 4t

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Los Angeles, it'll be fine all year as long as he doesn't redline it right out of the garage, but you don't want to do that to any vehicle.

Seriously, the 0w-20 I use during the winter months is many times thicker during cold weather than his SAE60 will ever be in LA. Motorcycle oil myth busted.

I'm switching over to the amsoil 60 this afternoon. how long should I run it before changing, and sending in for a UOA?

well considering i lived in the la area for 4 years i know the temps very well.
i also know how sae60 flows.

there are a few days - even weeks - that he may be oil starved at startup.

as an example, for dec1 - dec9 the average low temp for La Mirada is 48. with record lows being set in 2004.

Originally Posted By: sunruh
well considering i lived in the la area for 4 years i know the temps very well.
i also know how sae60 flows.

there are a few days - even weeks - that he may be oil starved at startup.

as an example, for dec1 - dec9 the average low temp for La Mirada is 48. with record lows being set in 2004.

48F?!? That's tropical. I see -20F several times throughout the winter, and -30F every few years here in the Adirondacks.

Anyhow, I looked up average and low temperatures in Los Angeles before making my prior statements. At the coldest temperatures in LA, the Amsoil SAE60 is still significantly thinner than 0w-20 during Northeast winters.

So, unless every internal combustion engine up here is being starved of oil every winter, I think his motorcycle will be just fine. For reference, I'll include both the Amsoil PDS and a viscosity calculator. I much prefer data over feelings.

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g2798.pdf

http://www.widman.biz/English/Calculators/Operational.html

Originally Posted By: Mackelroy
Im sure the OP could do better than a straight 60 weight.

seems a little drastic under any condition, unless on a Harley

Well, the manual calls for 10w-60, which sheared down to a 30-weight after 2,500 miles. He's showing excess wear metals, which may be because of that. He also doesn't need much for cold-start properties, as he's in Los Angeles, and it's a motorcycle anyhow.

Either the SAE60 or 20w-60 makes good sense to me, as it appears combating shearing is the priority at this point. I don't think that going from the recommended 10w-60 to SAE60 is drastic.

more data, motorex after 1000 or so miles

TIY4Q4G.png

The lower count mileage, improved your numbers, but Im not seeing a trend to the positive side.

If your not using any oil, it may not be too late, to get on a modified leaded race fuel diet.

Still Id ditch the motorex, and go to something cheaper that will do as well, and cover the cost of you fuel diet.

Are you doing a lot of offroad?

edit oh its the Duke and not the enduro, everything applies though

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back