What's your honest opinion? PYB vs PUP longetivity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's use my daily driver commuter car that sees roughly 80 miles per day, 40 to and 40 from work as an example:

2004 Honda Accord - k24a4

Pennzoil Yellow Bottle 5w-20 vs Pennzoil Ultra Platinum (PurePlus) 5w-20

The PYB changed at 5k intervals and the PUP changed at 10k intervals.

In your opinion, would the engine last just as long with the PYB on the above scenario?

I use predominately a Fram Ultra filter on it for 10k either way.

Last edited:
Just as long? Yes, as long as you stick to the 5K interval. But then you have to ask yourself, why change oil twice as often when it doesn't provide any cost savings?

Synthetics don't nessasarily lower wear, they just last longer in operation.

Under your easy conditions I don't think it would make any difference at all.

Wear would likely be equal between the two scenarios.

The real question is which option is most cost effective for you?

I'd say 6-7k for PYB, 7-8k for Gold, 10-12k for PP, and 12-15k for PUP

Honda actually says 10k on SL dino and only changing the filter every other OCI, which would make it 20k FCI. And Honda's OEM filter is a cardboard Fram, similar to the TG.

You could probably do 10k on PYB and at least 15k on PUP. even the cheapest SN is better than any SL dino and most non-Euro-spec SL synthetics. SN "dino" is actually a syn blend since the standards have gotten tougher. Cheap Smitty's at Kmart is 10% PAO, and most SN dinos likely have at least 10% Group III.

With your driving style PYB should go 10K per Honda. I would use a synthetic for that type of interval but that's just me.

You have the perfect operational mode for least wear on the powertrain: fully warmed up, highway miles. Save your money for the unavoidable tire wear, and use the regular PYB for 8-9,000 miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
I'd say 6-7k for PYB, 7-8k for Gold, 10-12k for PP, and 12-15k for PUP

Honda actually says 10k on SL dino and only changing the filter every other OCI, which would make it 20k FCI. And Honda's OEM filter is a cardboard Fram, similar to the TG.

You could probably do 10k on PYB and at least 15k on PUP. even the cheapest SN is better than any SL dino and most non-Euro-spec SL synthetics. SN "dino" is actually a syn blend since the standards have gotten tougher. Cheap Smitty's at Kmart is 10% PAO, and most SN dinos likely have at least 10% Group III.

OP drives 80 miles a day for 50 weeks a year (2 weeks vacation), total yearly mileage just for to/from work is 20,000 miles, plus some errant on weekend.

With this mileage I'll do 6 months OCI with PUP and Fram Ultra. Time is easier to remember, Fall and Spring are good time to do oil change.

Don't know that I would want to run PYB for 10k, but if there is a 10k dino PYB is probably it.

I agree with the others, for your driving 5k OCI's with PYB are on the conservative side and something like 7,500 is a viable option.

PYB = 5,000 / 3-4 months
PP = 7,500 / 6 months
PUP = 10,000 / 1 year
Just IMHO
27.gif

Last edited:
The K24 in your Accord is CRAZY easy on oil. PYB for 7500 and it will easily outlast everything else on your car. I'd even be tempted to say more like 9-10K given you drive a lot of highway miles. Go check out the UOA section for K series motors. They all do really well on just about anything.

I also agree that if you aren't living in a climate or drive a vehicle that stresses the upper or lower extremes of the oil's capabilities, the PUP won't protect any better than PYB.

I'd go 10k on synthetic.

You could probably put vegetable oil in that engine and it'd outlast the transmission (unless it's a stick) so I wouldn't worry about engine oil too much.

Make it easy on yourself change the oil once a year with PUP, and a really good filter designed to last 12-15K like Fram Ultra. Make sure to check oil levels monthly, at those intervals, you may burn 1 qt even with the great K24 engine. Also, don't forget to service the transmission periodically.

You're being good to your engine either way, I don't run quite as long oil change intervals as you but then that's just me, old school I guess. BUT, I do want to be under that car at least every 6,000 miles checking it out (but don't necessarily have to be changing oil doing it).

I would stick to PP with a longer interval. However, a FRAM Ultra should be changed with every oil change at around 7k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back