Valve Cover Off - 07 Kia Optima 2.4l

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_0478.JPG

I had an oil leak from the valve cover in my 07 Kia Optima. Its got 148,000 miles on it, and the gasket was very brittle. It spent the first 90,000 miles on a diet of quick-lube oil changes done every 5k, and the last 48,000 on what ever syn I can find on sale, changed every 10k miles or so. Not too bad, I think. Absolutely no signs of sludge.

Thanks for the picture! Looks fine.
Wish I could see those rings, thats where I feel the difference would be from using quickie-lube oil compared to full-syn over the life of the vehicle.

Looks great!

I am sure Merk will be along telling you it is a sludge monster and to just junk it in place.

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Was the leak due to seal crushed or some other defect? Where was it located? Thanks for posting!

It was along back of the engine, in between Cyl 1 and 2, near the bolt hole for the valve cover. The exhaust manifold is towards the rear in this car. I think the gasket just got dry brittle from the heat. The part of the gasket that was near the intake side was a lot more pliable.

Originally Posted By: stchman
If you change the oil regularly, an engine will usually outlast the body it is put into.

Amen. I have some rust around the rear wheel well that is spreading faster than the flu in an elementary school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back