How many hours do you expect out of a commercial

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many hours can you expect out of a commercial grade small engine like Kawasaki or Honda GX series where they both have cast iron liners? I'm talking about engines that are maintained, not the abused ones.

I have somewhere around 1650 hours on my JD 757 (25hp Kawasaki), and it is still going strong. I have no doubt that it will see well over 2,000 hours.

I had a 2002 Husqvarna riding mower with a Kawasaki twin in it. Last time I checked, it had over 800 hours on it and it was still running like a top. I moved into a condo and left it with the neighbours. They tell me it's still running fine.

I also own a Craftsman riding mower for camp that has a Honda GX ohc twin in it. It's ten years old but relatively low hours.

I agree that 2000 hours or more on a well maintained Japanese engine is more than possible.

A commercial grade small engine should run forever if properly maintained, in my eyes.

The issue is it becomes uneconomical to keep them past a few thousand hours, usually because of what they are attached to.

Are you asking about the Honda GX ohc engine?

It seems to be a good engine. The only thing really different about it is that it's a GX in an ohc configuration. I wouldn't have bought it if it were a GC engine. It also has a dual venturi (two barrel) carb, which is unique. Probably more of a gimmick than anything else. After all, at 3600 rpm max, a single venturi carb would be more than sufficient.

Compared to the Kawasaki engine, the Honda takes considerably more cranking to fire it up. Maybe two or three seconds cranking. The Kawasaki fired up instantaneously. Power is good and torque seems respectable. The engine doesn't protest much when run into thick, tall grass.

It's a good engine but no better than the Kawasaki I owned. If anything, the edge goes to the Kawasaki simply due to how quickly it fires up. The Honda seems a tad better on fuel though. Must be that 2 barrel carb?
smile.gif
. Could also be that it's not working as hard as the Husqvarna which deals with much more and much thicker grass.

Honda GXV530: 530 cc., 16.5 h.p indicated on tractor 15.2 indicated in spec sheet, torque 25.2 ft. lbs. at 2500 rpm.

Originally Posted By: JR
Boraticus, that's a limited production engine. I was gonna buy one new but missed out before they sold out. How do you like yours.
What's the model and specs?

-harvey

I'm currently pushing 3,000 hours on a Kawasaki FD620D, in a John Deere 425 AWS.

And I use nothing more than Rotella T 10w-30, every 125 hours, with Purolator Classic filters.

Originally Posted By: boraticus

It seems to be a good engine. The only thing really different about it is that it's a GX in an ohc configuration. I wouldn't have bought it if it were a GC engine. It also has a dual venturi (two barrel) carb, which is unique. Probably more of a gimmick than anything else. After all, at 3600 rpm max, a single venturi carb would be more than sufficient.

I think with a double barrel carb you get better throttle response making it more efficient.

2-3000 for engines in equipment like a saw, finishing machine, demo buggy and things that see full load and rough conditions. For generators and equipment that sees partial load and long steady run times I'd expect 3-5000hrs. Assuming regular maintenance is done.

The Honda's seem to last the longest in our equipment (100+ pieces of equipment), only the old Wisconsin engines have come close to keeping up and they weigh twice as much and are fuel hogs compared to the hondas.

I service a friends gas Kubota G1900 that has just over 3000 hours on it. I agree if its maintained, it should be good. Too many people in this world dont check/ change their oil though..

If you're not using them commercially they'll probably last a lifetime. I have a 30 year old JD 185 with Kaw 17 hp. Still runs like a sewing machine. The oil doesn't even get dark.

Originally Posted By: hatt
If you're not using them commercially they'll probably last a lifetime. I have a 30 year old JD 185 with Kaw 17 hp. Still runs like a sewing machine. The oil doesn't even get dark.

I think kawasakis are easy on oil to begin with, but it's funny I always thought that meant the oil was [censored] when it didn't get dark, but after opening up a few well maintained engines it turns out the engine just isn't dirty enough to make the oil dark since it's been maintained.

17 years in my case. My Kawasaki powered, commercial Snapper's engine finally gave up the ghost. The blow by became so bad, I had to disconnect the breather hose from the carb inlet.

Cylinder looked OK, rings were worn out. As was the connecting rod.

I could have repaired it with new rings and a new connecting rod, but it was simply easier to install a new Honda engine with more power.

Yes, that mower was used hard. But it was maintained well.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman

I think kawasakis are easy on oil to begin with, but it's funny I always thought that meant the oil was [censored] when it didn't get dark, but after opening up a few well maintained engines it turns out the engine just isn't dirty enough to make the oil dark since it's been maintained.
I chalked it up to a clean engine and rings still in good shape.

Depends on the type of engine. Liquid cooled can hit 10K+ hrs. A liquid cooled diesel even more. Air cooled gasoline would be more like 3000hrs before issues.

Typically in my experience the equipment that the engines power falls apart sooner than the engines themselves.

My uncle is a landscaper and just sold a lawnmower with a liquid cooled Kawasaki that had 12k hours on it. The mower was more shot than the motor.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Typically in my experience the equipment that the engines power falls apart sooner than the engines themselves.

Agreed. This typically goes for cheap stuff, to the commercial range. I've seen it many times where a commercial unit will get put out to pasture because of hydraulic issues, when the rest of the machine is OK yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back