07 Sienna, 3.5l AMSOIL OE5w-30, 6,979 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a friends van. It took a nice long 3k mile trip up to NS Canada this past spring. So most of this mileage has been that and highway around here. This was AMSOIL OE 5w-30. It states that grade on the oil cap but I wonder if I could run 5w-20? Oil filter was an EaO15k02. It isn't low on coolant so not sure what is up and this is the third round of OE. I have been changing it every 5k miles.

if it is leaking coolant it definitely isnt hurting your wear numbers... those look great....

maybe loose air filter and driving hard in salty slush mix during the winter?

even then with those silicon and sodium numbers you have pretty low wear

The second excellent UOA in a Row for Amsoil OE. Toyota engines are really nice to oil, and OE is excellent at controlling wear. OE is really performing well for Amsoil.

Nice Report!

You should be able to run 5w20 if you want. Amsoil OE oils run a little high on HTHS anyway. The 5w20 has an HTHS of 2.8 and the 5w30 has an HTHS of 3.3.

The API minimum for a 5w30 is 2.9 so OE 5w20 is really close to a light 30wt from an HTHS standpoint. The minimum for a 5w20 is 2.6cp

Last edited:
Leaking oil cooler or some porosity issue

If a UOA finds possible coolant, I recommend always to add a stop leak to the antifreeze. Subaru Coolant Conditioner, GM tabs, whatever... should be considered if possible leak can't be found.

There is no wear so I'd wager sodium/silicon isn't an issue. Could be from the environment. Silicone still leaching from gaskets and sodium from previous oils, road chemicals, beach air, local industrial waste in the air, or whatever

VOA the OE for a new/old additive comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back