Dragon Lady Turns 60

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking of a dancer at a club outside of Ft Gordon, GA, but that was the snake lady.

I think she was 50 something when I was a brand new 2LT going to SOBC, so both her and the snake are probably long gone.

Threadjack aside, some interesting technology came out of the cold war.

A pretty wild airplane, considering that it was designed by the same guy who designed the P-38. (Which was also a wild airplane).

I've never understood the whole Francis Gary Powers thing. (The guy who was shot down in 1960 while overflying Russia on a recon mission). When they made the prisoner trade a few months later, Powers assumed he would be coming home to a hero's welcome. Instead, he was reviled as being nearly a traitor, somehow. He was generally treated like garbage until after his death.

He was basically no different than John McCain, yet one guy makes a decades-long career out of being a war hero and the other guy is practically treated like Ed Snowden. As best I can see, the entire difference was based on some newspaper pundit types at the time who thought he should have taken his suicide pill. It followed him around for the rest of his life.

U-2 trivia question: Who was the only man in Russia who had seen a U-2 up close at the time Powers was shot down?

A. Lee Harvey Oswald. He had worked at the U-2 base in Turkey before defecting.

I have often wondered if spraying aerosols in the line of sight of photo recon satellites would be a viable option to degrade that opposing satellite. Could be miles away and still effective depending on the size of the "cloud".

I could for instance put up a companion satellite that travels along near a photo recon bird and blind it non-destructively by obscuring its line of sight when I want to. While eventually the other satellite will be moved, I could either move with it and do it again or, having degraded its tactical use for a period of time, I could just leave it alone.

In any case I would not have actually harmed the opposing bird and therefore not committed a "war-like" act. Something you can't say if you use a laser or physical intrusion which is apt to start a war. For those reasons and many others I am in the same camp as Tom. We need actual in-atmosphere recon assets.

FYI on the versatility of the U2 and its many variations. The sensor flexibility beyond satellites is evident.

ackapv2aijhbt6qcw6sf.gif

The very complete article appeared in Jalopnik's Foxtrot Alpha waaay back in 2010.

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/a-spotters-guide-to-the-u-2-dragon-lady-and-its-many-1539282603

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back