2001 Grand Cherokee 4.7l Oil Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 01 Grand Cherokee 4.7l with 113,000 miles on it, manual calls for 5w-30, only spec I see is API. I live in Anchorage, Alaska, drive moderately, maybe 40-60 hwy/city. No known engine problems, been driving really well since I've bought it

Currently has a Mopar filter in it and Pennzoil Platinum PP 5w-30 that's been changed as of today. Unknown oil before that, had gone ~2000 miles since prev oil change if previous owner is to be believed. Going to do an oil change and UOA in 4000 miles, but I am curious what your guys's recommendation for oil and filter will be.

Originally Posted By: Deltantor
I have an 01 Grand Cherokee 4.7l with 113,000 miles on it, manual calls for 5w-30, only spec I see is API. I live in Anchorage, Alaska, drive moderately, maybe 40-60 hwy/city.

In Anchorage, cold as heck in the winter, I'd run any name-brand synthetic 0w-20 for 6 months between Oct and March, or at least run M1 0w-30 if you're concerned about running a 0w-20. Then run 5w-30 or the excellent M1 0w-40 in the summer. And ditch that Mopar oil filter and get the best oil filter, Fram Ultra (or Royal Purple oil filter).

I think Chrysler uses pyb fro factory. I've actually hear really good things about mopar filters. Herd they're alot like mc

I've had good luck with Synpower 5W-30, but I don't go 10k ocis. Synpower did cure the "milky snot" problem these 4.7Ls are infamous for in the cold (white "sludge" under the cap). I would probably run 0W-30 in the winter where you live. Great engine.

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
Originally Posted By: Deltantor
I have an 01 Grand Cherokee 4.7l with 113,000 miles on it, manual calls for 5w-30, only spec I see is API. I live in Anchorage, Alaska, drive moderately, maybe 40-60 hwy/city.

In Anchorage, cold as heck in the winter, I'd run any name-brand synthetic 0w-20 for 6 months between Oct and March, or at least run M1 0w-30 if you're concerned about running a 0w-20. Then run 5w-30 or the excellent M1 0w-40 in the summer. And ditch that Mopar oil filter and get the best oil filter, Fram Ultra (or Royal Purple oil filter).

Cold as heck? Its like Indiana dude. Literally. Might even be like Oregon?

OP: ANY 5w30 will work. Dont listen to these guys.

A good high detergent 5w30 should be more than sufficient. The Platinum you are already using definitely fits the bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back