Picked up some OEM takeoffs, replace now or later?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend just bought a new F150 and has almost immediately pulled off the OEM tires and replaced them. He sold them to me for $180. My tires still have over 5/32. I am leaning towards running them down to about 4/32 before changing them out. Typical driving is the lovely Houston commute, so rain is the main hazard.

So, change now? Change later?

What is the lower tread depth limit for Discount Tire to rotate tires?

I would just maintain what you have and eek out as many miles as safely possible - then replace them...

BurrWinder

I'd agree to let them go a little longer...something that I usually have a problem with if I've got new tires sitting there.

If you got a set of the F-150 OEM Hankook Dynapro AT-M for $180 bucks then that's quite a deal. Those are good tires.

Going against the grain here. You bought 4 "new" tires for $45 each and you're going to squeak another 32nd out of you old tires? And hydroplaning is your main concern? Huh? That last 32nd is the most dangerous one. Change them and bask in the warm fuzzy glow of a great deal and safe driving.

They are the Wrangler SRA on there now. Looks like the new ones are a different Wrangler. I was really looking forward to some Michelins, but $288 installed struck me as too good a deal compared to about $1100 for the other set.

The only "rubber bridge" on these that I know of are the wear bars. I am leaning towards going a few thousand more on these, as I am due for an oil change. I like to track changes in FE and changing two variables at the same time would make interpretation a bit fuzzy. However, the oil will only go from old to new. Same brand, same filter.

Last edited:
I ran those same wranglers as my last set of tires. They worked well until right near the end. After 6 punctures in one summer I got cooper maxx's. The wranglers were great on road just not in the hills as the tread wore down.

Originally Posted By: Coprolite
My friend just bought a new F150 and has almost immediately pulled off the OEM tires and replaced them. He sold them to me for $180. My tires still have over 5/32. I am leaning towards running them down to about 4/32 before changing them out. Typical driving is the lovely Houston commute, so rain is the main hazard.

So, change now? Change later?

What is the lower tread depth limit for Discount Tire to rotate tires?

It depends on current season, so your post is dependent on the calendar.

I don't know about your local weather and if you are getting rain yet. Or maybe it rains all year round.

If you're optimizing, it's still summer at least in CA, so if I were in your scenario I'd keep tires until rain begins. Less tread actually is higher performance in dry conditions.
Change them when your rainy season is set to begin.

But, in the long run I'd agree, a few months isn't doesn't matter, change when it is most convenient to do so, and the shop isn't busy and you're stuck without a vehicle for 4hours.

Last edited:
I just read a little on the new tires. It seems that they are good on road tires. They are the Goodyear Wrangler Fortitude HT. They are 80/20 tires as per Goodyear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back