Mann W719/27 vs W719/12 for Zetec

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here in the US, Mann reboxes Purolators for non-European cars, but real German versions are still available in Europe. Their European catalog calls for the W719/27 in the Focus, but it's not sold here anymore (replaced with the ML1022, a reboxed Classic). However, another seemingly identical filter, W719/12, is sold in the US for the 80s VW Vanagon.

The puzzling thing is that both of these filters seem to be identical, both having:
3/4-16 UNF threads
Can diameter of 76mm
Gasket outer diameter of 71mm
Gasket inner diameter of 62mm
Height of 123mm
Bypass pressure 1.00 bar (about 14 psi)

The only difference I can see is that the W719/27 is white and the W719/12 is black. And also, the black can is sold in the US while the white can isn't. Is there some other difference not listed in a spec sheet?

And are either of these worth using over M1, Wix, and Hastings?

There technically could be a different in the base plate design. That's the only thing I've seen different in otherwise very similar filters from the same manufacturer. Of course, we have no idea if that's the case in your example. I bet the German Mann you're talking about sells quite cheaply, too.

I would gather that Mann wouldn't stand behind that filter for the Zetec, though, whereas they would with the ML1022, for whatever that's worth.
wink.gif

Maybe it's like the difference between, say, Wix's 51356 and 57356. But still.

Both of these German Manns cross over to Wix 51516 (but Wix actually specifies the 51315 for the Zetec) This is funny because the 51315 has a higher bypass setting of 16 psi, compared the 51516's 8-11 psi.

The black Mann W719/12 is reasonably cheap, about the price of a Wix. Unfortunately, the white can W719/27 does cost more due to international shipping costs.

Exactly, the Wix part numbers were exactly what I was hinting at, in fact those specific examples (and the 51365 and 51358), but, of course, it's just a guess. Heck, if you look at such examples with Wix, other companies don't have a distinction between those two filters, as with Hastings which has only the LF240, I believe, so it's possible someone like Mann might have a distinction where others do not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back