Recommend Oil & Filter - 2013 Chevy Volt

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting ready to perform the first scheduled oil & filter change on my 2013 Chevrolet Volt as I pass 24,000 miles (also very nearly 24 months). As per the manufacturer's recommendations, I intend to use a Dexos rated 5W-30 oil. Left to my own devices, I will probably purchase Mobil1 Extended Performance 5W-30 in the gold-top jug. I'm open to any additional suggestions though.

I'm really more stumped by the selection of filters which appear to be available. My first choice would typically be a mobil filter, but they do not appear to offer a product which is a listed direct fit. I have been told that the M1-101 "works." I can purchase the ac/delco PF65 online for under $10 shipped. Perhaps this is the obvious choice, but I'd like to hear any alternative opinions. I do see that Wix has an option and Purolator lists one of their basic line (L16161) as an option. Maybe there are other choices I haven't considered.

For those not familiar with the Volt, the internal combustion engine only runs in certain circumstances (eg. battery depleted, extreme cold weather starts, hill climbing, hard acceleration, and at the user's command). I would say my engine runs for short periods (usually less than 20 miles in any given day) and only occasionally (engine may run once or twice a month). In total, just less than 10% of my accrued miles have been powered by the gas engine.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts, comments, questions, opinions, advice, rants, etc...

Dan

Nothing wrong with M1 EP, but it's expensive and a waste of money. For any car with an OLM, I recommend using the cheapest synthetic on sale that meets the standards required.

For you, I'd recommend the Havoline synthetic on sale at AAP this month. It is licensed dexos.

The PF65 seems to be a reboxed Mahle, so probably a very good filter. The Mahle part number is OC405/3. Hastings has the LF652. Mann has the W712/75 as well.

Yes, the M1-101 will work, and so will the Fram Ultra XG3387A. You can also use the Purolator L10111, or even the PureOne PL10111.

My choice would be AAP's Havoline synthetic and the PL10111.

Otherwise, I'd use either OEM/Mahle or Wix with the cheapest dexos oil you can find.

Fram application guide states the 2013 Chevy Volt with the 1.4L engine uses the XG3387A. That filters has been around forever and been used on GM vehicles for as long as I can remember. The filter can be had at Walmart for $9, you can get that and a 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 EP all in one stop.

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
The Volt only turns on the engine when needed, so it tends to only run for a short time.
My choice is Castrol Edge in the gold bottle, second would be Pennzoil Platinum, or Castrol Edge in the black bottle.
Fram Ultra or Wix, that filter will be there a while...

Great suggestions, Castrol Edge gold jug (5 quart jug at Walmart or walmart.com is cheap, also available on amazon.com), and Fram Ultra. However, nix the Wix, due to the paper cellulose used in the Wix media, not great for a 2-year soak in my opinion. The Fram Ultra has all-synthetic double-layer & wire-backed (tough) media, with some of the best filtering efficiency found. Also, Mobil1 Extended Performance, or, a close second choice, any name brand full-synthetic (they all meet dexos1) found on the shelf at walmart in 5-quart jugs. The Walmart SuperTech full synthetic is a very good buy, but I usually spend just a bit more for the slightly better stuff.

Does the Volt have an oil level sensor to warn of low oil levels?

The Volt and the Cruze are tough on the oil. The Volt only turns on the engine when needed, so it tends to only run for a short time.

Cruze 1.4 is turbo and Volt is NA so not sure how you can lump them together.

I'd use the PF 65 and probably PP, but I think the M1 EP is a solid choice too. I have a feeling that PF 65 is a special filter for this application so I'd stick with it...and chop the old one open!

You'll figure the oil and filter out so I won't address that. I like the Volt, its the most brilliant auto engineering Ive seen since I can remember. Im a big fan of the Volt as well as the Leaf too (yes I know the differences, the Volt has normal car range and more and Leaf is electric only). Please keep us updated on you Volt experience. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I have a feeling that PF 65 is a special filter for this application so I'd stick with it...and chop the old one open!

Yes, this is the case. The PF65 is only spec'd for the Volt and ELR. It's made by Mahle in Austria.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
4 quarts of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30 and a FRAM XG3387A.

Thread Closed.

How can you recommend the Fram when we haven't confirmed what the PF 65 is? And isn't closing the thread a bit rude?

32.gif

The 2016 Volt is one sharp ride! (Not that the 2013 isn't)

2016-chevy-volt-summit-white.jpg

And isn't closing the thread a bit rude?

People are always accusing me of being rude.

Like when I go to the grocery store, I leave the cart at the entrance of the store when I'm done using it.

People are always saying:

"Are you going to leave that cart right there?

"Yes I'm, you gotta problem with it?"

"That's kind of rude don't you think?"

"Well, that's just too damm bad isn't it?!?!"

If the whole world would stop and think a little bit, they'd know I'm not leaving the cart there to block the entrance; I'm leaving the cart there for the next person that needs a cart!

The Volt and the Cruze are tough on the oil. The Volt only turns on the engine when needed, so it tends to only run for a short time.

Did he say something about the 1.4?

PF65 is cut open in the oil filter forum. Nothing special. But, unlike normal filters, I'd wager that the media can withstand 2 years of timely service without biodegrading/tearing...
As such, I would have no problem using a quality media filter, like the 51040xp, xg3387a, TM18-10S, .....

http://catalog.mahle-aftermarket.com/na/modules/mahleFilter/detail.xhtml;jsessionid=?filterId=1299
http://www.framcatalog.com/PartDetail.aspx?b=F&pn=XG3387A
http://wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=1863362
http://wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=1837580
http://catalog.hastingsfilter.com/PartSpecification.asp?URL=PartEntry.asp&partnumber=LF652
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=2949600&cc=1447713&jnid=496&jpid=1
http://trasko-usa.com/cross-reference/cross-reference.htm

Volt and Cruze, IMHO, are both a hit for Chevy, even though I'd buy neither.

Volt and Cruze rev 2.0 are both a grand slam(should've been like that from the beginning). 2016 should be a good year for GM.

I'd love to see the Volt powertrain equivalent in a Canyon/Colorado/Trax/and in normal looking vehicles for non-smug owners that don't need to stick out. Can only dream.

For oil:
http://www.centerforqa.com/gm/dexos1-brands

I wonder if you can improve on MPG with a 0w20 or 0w30. That gas guzzling 5w30 Volt recommendation is so
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: Ethan1

Did he say something about the 1.4?

What else do the Cruze and Volt have in common?

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
PF65 is cut open in the oil filter forum. Nothing special. But, unlike normal filters, I'd wager that the media can withstand 2 years of timely service without biodegrading/tearing...
As such, I would have no problem using a quality media filter, like the 51040xp, xg3387a, TM18-10S, .....

Interesting, that Mahle-made ACDelco PF65 is kind of special, Mahle says: "Superior filter media and its processing prevent decomposition and collapse of the filter under extreme conditions such as repeated cold start and high dirt load. Bypass and check valves assure constant oil supply at all times." Of course a wire-backed full-synthetic media Fram Ultra would be great as well here. Either would do well.

I'd love to see the Volt powertrain equivalent in a Canyon/Colorado/Trax/and in normal looking vehicles for non-smug owners that don't need to stick out. Can only dream.

Great idea. The new GM mid-size (or really almost-full-size) pickup trucks would be great using a Volt powertrain for fleet city usage where stop and go driving is the norm. Not for the consumer who wants to haul much over hills/mountains.

Originally Posted By: ExMachina

Interesting, that Mahle-made ACDelco PF65 is kind of special, Mahle says: "Superior filter media and its processing prevent decomposition and collapse of the filter under extreme conditions such as repeated cold start and high dirt load. Bypass and check valves assure constant oil supply at all times." Of course a wire-backed full-synthetic media Fram Ultra would be great as well here. Either would do well.

Great idea. The new GM mid-size (or really almost-full-size) pickup trucks would be great using a Volt powertrain for fleet city usage where stop and go driving is the norm. Not for the consumer who wants to haul much over hills/mountains.

I wanted to chime back in to say THANKS! for all of the thoughtful replies. I ordered a PF65 from Amazon (I have Prime, and it was just easy). I'll stop by Walmart sometime this week to see if I can find a jug of 5W-30 EP on the shelf.

Because the Volt specs premium gas w/ Top Tier certified detergents, and since I don't have to buy very much gas or very often (~60 gallons in the past 2 years) I decided to only buy Exxon gas from company-owned stations. So, keeping with Mobil oil has a kind of cute synergy to it I guess. I know I could probably put brand-X gas & oil in the car with same/similar results, but it isn't costing me very much and maybe I can brag about it later to a potential 2nd owner.

As far as my experience with the Volt, it has been pleasantly mundane. I have always driven full-size Chevrolet pickups and SUVs before this car. I bought this to supplement a 2007 Suburban that I was pumping between $300 and $500 of fuel per month into for mostly daily commuting. After the first 12 months with both vehicles, I decided to sell the Suburban because I just wasn't driving it anymore. I rolled up just under 500 miles on it during that first year of dual ownership. I find that with the back seats folded down I can fit almost anything in the hatch, and I do have access to a 1 ton truck at work that I am able to borrow on the weekend if I need to haul something especially nasty or oversize around.

Long story short - the Volt has surprised me with how seamless, smart, and fun to drive it is. I recommend to everyone that they should take a test drive and do the math on break-even, especially if you are getting most of your miles commuting daily.

One other thought. If you like the EREV idea but require full-size truck utility; you should have a look at Bob Lutz latest project post-GM: http://www.viamotors.com

Last edited:
When you get your PF65 on Amazon, please post some pics! I'd love to see if they're still made by Mahle, and the country of origin
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
And isn't closing the thread a bit rude?

People are always accusing me of being rude.

Like when I go to the grocery store, I leave the cart at the entrance of the store when I'm done using it.

People are always saying:

"Are you going to leave that cart right there?

"Yes I'm, you gotta problem with it?"

"That's kind of rude don't you think?"

"Well, that's just too damm bad isn't it?!?!"

If the whole world would stop and think a little bit, they'd know I'm not leaving the cart there to block the entrance; I'm leaving the cart there for the next person that needs a cart!

The carts are usually at the front of the store to begin with. I would not leave the cart in the door entrance, but pushing it back into the line where all the carts are is a good thing to do. I hate it when lazy Fs leave the carts in parking spaces.

Your oil choice is a good one, but more overkill since the oil in the Volt will have to be changed out mainly due to time in the crankcase over mileage. You could stick with regular Mobil 1 5W30, but either way it's a good idea to change the oil out once a year instead of every two years to minimize any acid build up in the engine.

For oil filter, you can stick with the factory AC Delco or go with the Fram Ultra. My choice would be Mobil 1 5W30 and a Fram Ultra oil filter since it's pretty cheap and available at any Walmart.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back