Tires wont hold air...Defective ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mom bought some GoodYear tires a couple years ago and it seems like theres always one flat every time I visit her. She said the neighbor just filled them up a couple weeks ago. Anyone ever have a problem with leaky tires?

BTW: I think hers are Goodyear Integra.

Defective background info.

We need to know Car, age and type of wheels

Most likely its an installer issue not a tire issue.

Maybe the bead area needs cleaned on the wheels.

If she is in the rust belt, her bead seats are corroded and haven't been cleaned up.

Is she in MI too?

Alloy wheels and salt=leaky tires.

Easy fix if the shop just takes an an extra couple of minutes to clean up the corrosion.

Last edited:
We both thought the tires were a few years old but she just called and said the reciept says they were purchased in 2005. So maybe it is a corroded wheel. The car sits outside all year around and is rarely driven here in MI.

Happens to me all the time, I just take it to the tire store and they dismount and clean the bead up and remount it and it's good. I have a town fair tire around me and they just charge $4 for a flat repair, basically flat repair is free but $4 to balance the tire afterwards. But strangely they'll charge you about $15 to balance a tire.

Probably the bead, possibly the valve stems.

My trailer has had 3 tires on the same rim on the left side and it goes flat every week or so with each tire that's been on there. It gets used about once a month (4x8 flat trailer) so I just pump it up. The tire is 15 years old so I won't take it to Discount to have it fixed, they won't touch it.

so wait the tires suddently arent 3 years old they are 10years old?

The inner rubber liner could be deteriorating or could still be leaky rims.

DT/DTD just announced their 160$ off promotion for pre-labor day.

maybe time for some value tire replacements?

you could probably get some falken kumho general or hankooks for under 300$

Last edited:
When I worked in tire shops when I was younger, some wheels always leaked from corrosion inside the bead area. I would scrape the flaking parts off, clean it really good, then lightly coat the bead area with this bead sealer stuff. It seemed like rubber cement, but it was black. Would stop the leaking, so might be worth asking tire shops about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back