Castrol Edge black bottle

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

While at Walmart yesterday I noticed that they had no Magnatec 0w20 but they did have black Edge 0w20. They had some that mentioned 'Titanium' and some that didn't. All was SN rated so I assume the 'Titanium' version is newer stock. Is this just marketing or did the formula change? I wonder what (if anything) they took out to make room for titanium?

PS: I haven't seen Magnatec 0w20 in WM in a while....I'm wondering if they stopped carrying it or will it re-appear after the 'Rollback' ends?

We don't have too many recent VOAs to verify, but if the 0w-40 VOA is of any indication for the other black edge grades, they just added a little bit of titanium recently and not removed anything else.

I picked up two Jugs of the Edge (Black) on rollback for less than $23. @ Walmart. I love the wear numbers I have gotten from my use of Kendall GT-1 w/ titanium. I thought I would try a couple of oil changes with Castrol Edge Black bottle w/ titanium. I think I will run the Castrol next then Kendall. I think titanium is a great additive. My wear numbers all went down after I switched from Pennzoil Ultra (not pure plus) to Kendall w/ titanium.

...So I'm assuming that the 'titanium' SN version should be an improvement over the older SN stuff.
Would this (Black Edge) 0w20 be entirely Gr. III or does it have some Gr. IV basestocks? I'm assuming the Magnatec 0w20 is all Gr. III.
I'm asking because I plan to run it as an Auto-RX 'rinse' oil.

Originally Posted By: pbm
...So I'm assuming that the 'titanium' SN version should be an improvement over the older SN stuff.

Maybe, but is it a noticeable improvement? I mean, there is so little titanium in there, it makes you wonder if it really makes any meaningful difference, or if it was only put in there so that castrol could brag about it in their marketing materials.

Sorry, no idea on group composition. In the past Castrol said that Edge did use some PAO, but that was a while back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back