Purolator is still listening- Engineering report

Status
Not open for further replies.
You all might recall that Purolator is working with me in investigating what happened when my PureOne PL14610 that experienced a tear (misidentified as a Classic in the first post of the first link here).

I just got off of a conference call with MANN+HUMMEL Purolator Filters' Senior Marketing Manager (my primary contact) Tina, the Director of Marketing, and the Director of Engineering. The discussion was cordial, professional, informative and productive (for me), but there are still open items that I and they will pursue.

First I'll describe the situation. After reporting a media tear in a PureOne, I had some discussion with Tina that resulted in an offer to test their filters on each of my 3 vehicles, and have them analyze the used filters (meaning I can't cut them).

Full disclosure, they provided the oil filters, some complimentary air and cabin filters, and a small gift card to cover the cost of oil. So, if you wish to call me a bought-and-paid-for Purolator shill, go right ahead! LOL But I'm also an engineer and I'll just stick with reporting the facts.

The Honda Pilot PL14610 filter OCI completed first and thus was the only filter discussed. Engineering ran the uncut filter through three tests:

1. 90PSI in water, to see if it leaks
2. an Impulse Test of 0-100 PSI for hundreds of cycles (failed to write down how many cycles). This is also a leak inducing test.
3. Restriction Test - A low pressure flow of 3GPM of 30W oil at 180F is passed through the filter and the deltaP is measured.

My filter passed the first two tests, the Restriction Test was then discussed. A typical value is 8PSI but my filter was highly restricted at 23PSI.

Since this is higher than the built-in bypass valve, he suggested that the filter was probably running in bypass mode for some period of time. (I forgot to ask if it was torn because I was trying to write down all the data, but the question may have been pointless considering the impulse test.)

The filter was then cut and a high level of metallic contamination was found in the media, but no sludge. They no longer have the filter (their fault, for letting this drag on so long) but offered to test the torn filter if I can find it to send in.

Some discussion followed. I agreed to try to find the torn filter and send it in, and also get a UOA for that vehicle. I asked point-blank if production changes had been made for the Classic and PureOne. The Director of Engineering after some hesitation and repeated "we're looking closely at the situation" finally said he was committed to change the filter media on the PureOne line. The Director of Marketing asked if that was filter specific, no, one media is used across the entire line, so it would be an upgrade for all PureOne's.

The Director of Engineering pointed out a few facts about the PureOne. One, the PureOne is a 99% at 20 microns filter. I pointed out that this published data is NOT clear on their marketing information and the general opinion on the boards is that the Ultra is better and the PureOne is something less than 99%.

Another fact is that PureOne's have to pass an extended test of 500 hours oil flow at 300 degrees. [censored], I forgot to ask him about if there was a particle load associated with that test, but anyway the test is supposed to exceed any extended OCI interval. (I hope so!)

So I asked, what about the Classic, since that is where the majority of media failures have been reported? After some back and forth, it was clear that Marketing was aware of the Classic problem and the tear spreadsheet, but Engineering was not. The spreadsheet is being forwarded to Engineering as I write.

To sum up: I may have engine wear problems, and I will be doing a UOA, shortening my OCI's and doing a wet/dry compression test. (The engine runs well but mileage is a bit lacking). This will all take a while, but I'll report back here when I'm done. Purolator is aware of PureOne media issues and improved, stronger media is a planned improvement, but Engineering is starting from scratch on the Classic issues.

That's all I got. I'll report back later and try to answer any questions, but pretty much everything I know is in this one post. Let's try to keep the discussion civil.

Originally Posted By: HangFire

2. an Impulse Test of 0-100 PSI for hundreds of cycles (failed to write down how many cycles). This is also a leak inducing test.
3. Restriction Test - A low pressure flow of 3GPM of 30W oil at 180F is passed through the filter and the deltaP is measured.

My filter passed the first two tests, the Restriction Test was then discussed. A typical value is 8PSI but my filter was highly restricted at 23PSI.

Since this is higher than the built-in bypass valve, he suggested that the filter was probably running in bypass mode for some period of time. (I forgot to ask if it was torn because I was trying to write down all the data, but the question may have been pointless considering the impulse test.)

This is shocking. ("Outrageous, egregious, preposterous"--Jackie Chiles)
Please tell me Test #3 was actually the FIRST test run. Abusing the filter with water in #1 & #2 should have come last, as it would kind of rinse it thru, and water/oil don't mix, etc.
Running in bypass, clogged up, not cool... Was your OCI long or something?

Let's try to keep the discussion civil.
If I were a Civil Engineer, maybe....

For the first two tests, oil is run through the filter while the filter is submerged in water. I don't see this as abuse. The water just makes it obvious if there is a leak.

My understanding was the tests were run in that order, but I did not explicitly ask that question, so I can't say for sure. I'll wait for all the replies to come in, and put all the questions like this together into one email.

My OCI is the Honda recommended 7,500 miles, I went a bit long about 7.8K on that particular OCI. I won't be doing that again. I'm coming up on another change interval, I will do it a bit early and do a UOA. After that depends on the UOA.

From a different point of view, I would like to say "thanks" up front for going through the exercise and putting some facts/data towards the overall issue. While we have been "analyzing" this phenomenon for some months, none of us (that I know of) have the equipment to perform the tests they currently are doing.

On the other hand, it is very disappointing that although marketing knows about the issue, the engineers who could effect a design change do not, but hopefully that broken communication link will be repaired soon.

One question--is the order of the testing correct or is it just a list that you made? The restriction test seems to be in the wrong place, but then again, perhaps they use it to try and determine if part of the filter failed from the other tests (they do a restriction test before and after the others?).

Thanks again!

When I sent in a torn filter they said they could not test it because it had holes. This makes some sense yet they said they will test your filter. I wonder how they are going to do that.

People seem to be reading test 1 as if its pumping water through the filter, or pressurizing the can with water. I read it to mean that the can is pressurized either with air or oil while IMMERSED IN water to check the can and can/base crimp for leaks.

I think the test order makes sense if that's the case. Make sure a can leak isn't going to fail during test 2. Use test 2 to extend the effective used life of the filter even further by adding more pressure cycles. Then see how it flows to infer tears. Then dismantle and inspect.

Count me among those who appreciate the data. I'm sure the rabid Purohaters will chime in with all sorts of complaints, that seems to be the latest pastime on here. Granted, I've stopped using anything but PSLs until some change is observed, but I don't assume the company is evil.

Why did marketing keep the tear-O-lator issue from engineering this long? As if engineering exists in a vacuum/cave and cannot discover this on their own.

@23psi deltaP it would basically be in full bypss. At least on my vehicles.

Originally Posted By: Shrubitup
Why did marketing keep the tear-O-lator issue from engineering this long? As if engineering exists in a vacuum/cave and cannot discover this on their own.

Yeah if engineering is JUST NOW hearing about the problem, someone has SERIOUSLY dropped the ball. Also, does engineering live in a small cave in North Korea with no internet access, no phone, and no television? This is THEIR product. They should be in tune with common reports on the internet.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

People seem to be reading test 1 as if its pumping water through the filter, or pressurizing the can with water. I read it to mean that the can is pressurized either with air or oil while IMMERSED IN water to check the can and can/base crimp for leaks.

That is correct. Sorry I didn't word it more clearly.
Originally Posted By: edwardh1
what does all this mean for the average person? Purolater may have a flow restriction and they are investigating?

The flow restriction issue was on my filter due to being overloaded with contaminants. That would be an issue particular to my engine (and those with similar problems).
Originally Posted By: Shrubitup

LOL I don't think this is a conspiracy issue. I'm an engineer at a technical company right now. I only talk to someone in Marketing when we happen to sit together in the cafeteria. If Marketing needs technical data they go through my boss so I don't get interrupted. In several decades of engineering work, I can't remember requesting anything from Marketing. Maybe some swag like a mug or something.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

Yeah if engineering is JUST NOW hearing about the problem, someone has SERIOUSLY dropped the ball. Also, does engineering live in a small cave in North Korea with no internet access, no phone, and no television? This is THEIR product. They should be in tune with common reports on the internet.

Seriously, outside BITOG, where is this all over the internet?

I am sure their engineers have a real life outside work and hanging on an oil filter subsection board of a oil forum is not on the top of their list.

As mentioned, their marketing department that would be more in tuned with social media and the internet dropped the ball.

I don't believe your filter on a Honda Pilot was so full of metal it showed a 23psi pressure drop. So I believe nothing they say after that. So much for dirt holding capacity. So now you have (according to them)a worn engine, a known torn Purolator Pure One filter, a statement they are looking closely at the situation, and some freebies. They need a bigger magnifying glass to look. Maybe all the metal shards your engine is shedding cut through the previous filter media. Contact Honda Motors.

First of all, its not a "marketing function", as seems to be suggested above, to know if your TearOLators are failing at too high a rate out in the field. Its quality control engineering, and simple awareness.

Also, Test #3 should still have been done FIRST, since the first two tests stress the heck out of the media, and can prevent one from seeing how it really did in the field, a low-pressure initial check like #3 would be the first thing you do. Kinda weird if they did it in HangFire's order of listing, but we don't know I guess.

And there is really no excuse for that flow restriction causing bypass in a decent Honda engine like that. This is scary proof I need to AVOID Purolators for sure. No filter should do that in 7,500 miles. HangFire's engine can't be that bad.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro

Seriously, outside BITOG, where is this all over the internet?

I am sure their engineers have a real life outside work and hanging on an oil filter subsection board of a oil forum is not on the top of their list.

As mentioned, their marketing department that would be more in tuned with social media and the internet dropped the ball.

Except people like myself reached out to Purolator when my first (of two) filters failed. It was supposedly passed along to QC. I never heard a word back. I am sure engineering (at some level) knew. Even if it was their industrial engineers (process oriented) rather than the designers.

They knew the issue but were playing around to see if it affect sales before they would address it. I guess since engineering is actually in the discussion, sales might be affected.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back