Looking into sporty / grand tourer cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2nd Gen Mazda 6 has been a great vehicle. Low cost of ownership, well made, drives pretty well. But...it is far from the most exciting car on the road. In fact is is REALLY boring. I needed a boring driving appliance when I bought the car, but that time has passed and I can start planning for the next vehicle.

So...looking for some collective feedback on sports cars or grand touring type vehicles. Here are a few on my list, trying to keep a budget around $40k, and I am looking for some other ideas, and if anyone has some first hand experience with these cars.

My vehicular requirements are:
Fun to drive (at least 300hp)
Exciting (styling, passion, wanting to give yourself a high five everytime you look at your car)
Somewhat comfortable (see below I am in the car a lot)
Seats 4 (it only has to be comfortable for me, but it needs to have seatbelts for 4)

I drive in heavy traffic everyday, but also have stretches on backroad twisties everyday as well. I'm in the car minimum 60 miles a day which equates to about 2 hours a day during the school year, and about 90 minutes a day in the summer when traffic is a little lighter.

A few on my list:
996 era 911 Turbo (i.e. no IMS to deal with)
550i
335i
M3? May bust budget.
Jags?
IDK...

Throw some other ideas out there! Thanks.

C&D has been glowing on the new JAG XE with the SC V6. But will it be in the service bay constantly? I could say the same for Bimmers too I suppose. Also the new caddy (ATS?) twin turbo v6. A guy at work ( Engineering manager) just got a new v8 chevy made in Australia - but that's just too much. How bout a nice class musclecar like a 70s satellite 440 with a stick or a 396 chevelle tribute car - that way you wont loose any money ( 10 grand right off the lot) during ownership
smile.gif
Texas is a good place to own these classic muscle cars!
Don't forget Lease options too.

Last edited:
if you're looking at BMWs check out the Audi S4 or the lexus ISF I think its called, the rwd one with the v8.

A classic would be fun sometimes...but 60 miles a day in 100+ heat with marginal AC, in heavy traffic (my commute is 30 miles each way, about 1hr on average each way, some days...it is a LOT worse)...I think that would lose the fun factor pretty fast.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Audi S5 is extremely sharp and fits grand tourer.

+1

But I think the optimal vehicle is an E250 diesel 4matic sedan. Perhaps not as fast, but can likely be outfit to handle really well with a little investment, high MPGs, tons of low end torque, comfortable, spacious, etc.

Maybe forego 4matic if climate allows, depending upon whee you are planning to tour...

E250 is not fast enough, motorweek squeaked out a 15.5 1/4 at 88mph. This is roughly the same 0-60 and 1/4 mile time as my wife's truck. E63 AMG, I may consider though.

I'm not opposed to going a few years old, and it only needs to be comfortable for one guy, the rest is just a provision in case we want to get some ice cream as a family or my wife and I need to swap cars for a day.

Originally Posted By: thr_wedge
A few on my list:
996 era 911 Turbo (i.e. no IMS to deal with)
550i
335i
M3? May bust budget.
Jags?
IDK...

Throw some other ideas out there! Thanks.

If you want sporty, I'd throw the 5-series off this list. It's plenty fast, but it just doesn't feel that way because it's very heavy and hence not as nimble/tossable as the 3-series. And if you want something more unique looking, there is the 4-series out there now, but it's new, so it may be over your $40K budget.

I'd check out the new Golf R as well, unless it absolutely has to be RWD. Similar to it but in sedan form is the new Audi S3.

The previously mentioned Audi S5 is also a very nice looking ride.

ZL1? $55k base, 4 seats, insane HP and lots of tuning opportunities if you're into that, very fast, and by far the most capable twisty-road "muscle" car built by a manufacturer today.

Last edited:
cars that aren't wagons aren't my gig, but I drove a Lexus GS350 sport a couple of weeks ago, and it's hard to imagine a nicer car if you're into that sorta thing. I'd definitely give that one a look. The owner replaced a 5 series with it, and liked it worlds better.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Sounds like the CTS-V should be on that list as it meets most of your criteria.
Yup, looks like you can get a 2012 CTS-V with 40k miles for $40k-$43k ($30k off new).

You can also try the Mercedes E550. Not too many were made though so it'd be hard to find as a CPO. They have a really good CPO warranty, unlimited miles and you can buy 2 additional years so you can get 3 years of coverage. If you buy one with under 4 years/50k, you could also get the factory extended warranty that goes to 7 years/100k. There's also the E350, 2012+ had direct injection so hp went from 268 to 302. I have a 2008 which is fine for everyday driving, too much traffic here to really go fast, I like mine for all the options, got a rental C300 right now and it's missing all the features mine has, no pano roof, keyless go, nav, power trunk, parktronic, bi-xenons, ipod cable etc. 2010+ had more features, driver assistance package like blind spot, lane change, adaptive cruise, cooled seats etc., but most of the ones you find for sale are base models.

Originally Posted By: thr_wedge

My vehicular requirements are:
Fun to drive (at least 300hp)
Exciting (styling, passion, wanting to give yourself a high five everytime you look at your car)
Somewhat comfortable (see below I am in the car a lot)
Seats 4 (it only has to be comfortable for me, but it needs to have seatbelts for 4)

Check my signature, specifically the Shelby. It ticks all your boxes. I bought that car strictly for vacation / road trip touring and it is fantastic as such. We recently returned from a tour of the Baker City / Snake River area. Lots of tight fun roads everywhere around there (and spectacular scenery... and hot, outside ambient was 41C at one point). The car averages 27MPG combined (imperial so about 23.5US) which is pretty decent for a 500+ HP car. Very comfortable, sits 4 and has a roomy trunk. 2011's like mine are pretty near to $40k I think. This is one of the better built cars I have owned and certainly one of the most exhilarating to drive. It is my first Ford ever and I am pretty impressed. This car uses no oil between changes and has not cost a dime in repairs to date, just oil and filters. It does take Premium fuel though so there is some extra cost in that.

Disagree with the above post, the GT500 is mostly fun on the interstate, it's not much of a twisty road car.

Originally Posted By: panther427
The current Chevrolet SS. Ford Taurus sho. Focus st or the new rs.

He's looking way above the price range of any little Ford wannabe hot hatch.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back