'03 E350 what additional work w/engine pulled?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are 290K miles on the van. The engine will be pulled to replace the engine mounts and oil pan. I'm having the plugs replaced, belt and a coil. Is there anything that you would recommend? Rear engine seal? Transmission seal?
This job is $1700. I don't think this garage will give any breaks for grouping work together.
Another garage did that. Front end work that took 4 hours, they charged me 8 hours full book hour rate by charging me for each item replaced. So much money for pulling rotor and backing bearings. Book rate for replacing the ball joints and other things with it all apart. Ripped off.
Thanks

Depends on how long you want to keep it. If you plan to keep it for a few more years, then I would replace the plugs as you are doing, and add rear main seal, freeze plugs, the cam chain, and since the WP has to come off, do that too...

The Cam Chain is expensive, from a parts perspective, and there is more labor to dig into the engine...but man, that's a lot easier with it out of the van than with it installed...

'03 5.4 has the cam phasers as well, didn't they? I know chain guides wear, and chains stretch, but how reliable are the phasers themselves? Are they candidates for replacement?

Engine out?

1. water pump/belt/tensioner/thermostat
2 cam chain & tensioner & seals
3. rear seal
4. radiator hoses
5. spark plugs/wires/ maybe coils
6. remove & clean TB
7. front seal on trans? Pull torque converter and re-fill?
8. check flywheel/flex plates?

If the shop won't give you a labor break....get another shop.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back