Fuel System Cleaning 30000 Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: philipp10
Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
Unless you habitually buy your gas from no name cheapo places, there should be no need. Reputable branded fuel has all the system cleaners you should ever need.

Even the no name cheapo places buy their gas from the same refineries....

Around here you'll see Shell get a fuel drop, and a few miles down the road a cheapo place is getting fuel from the same tanker and driver. It makes me wonder about Tier 1 fuel around here.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: philipp10
Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
Unless you habitually buy your gas from no name cheapo places, there should be no need. Reputable branded fuel has all the system cleaners you should ever need.

Even the no name cheapo places buy their gas from the same refineries....

Around here you'll see Shell get a fuel drop, and a few miles down the road a cheapo place is getting fuel from the same tanker and driver. It makes me wonder about Tier 1 fuel around here.

Fuel deliveries are more complex than just who delivers the fuel. The racks have various additive tanks and tons of electronically controlled plumbing. The base fuel is complicated by a number of factors, including some companies "moving fuel" through pipeline operators where it might be segregated and the fuel input is the fuel output, or where they just put in a commodity fuel in and are guaranteed a comparable commodity fuel at the delivery point. It's up to the pipeline operator to route the fuel, and of course their incentive is to send the fuel as short a distance as possible.

However, major companies like Shell, Chevron, Phillips, ExxonMobil, etc will almost always have their own additive tanks set up at major fuel distribution facilities. You're not going to be able to see what happens by just seeing the name of the fuel trucking company.

Replace the cabin air filter yourself. Pour a can of Berryman B12 in the gas tank before you fill up, then run that tank nearly empty before refilling. If you don't use top tier fuel, you would want to run a fuel system cleaner more often. I usually run Techron (the type you buy at Costco) once every 5-10k miles. I run a can of Berryman whenever I think about it, maybe every 10k miles. Berryman is $3.17 at Walmart. It's some potent stuff, don't spill it on your paint. At 30k miles, you might be due for a coolant drain and fill, but check your owner's manual. It will tell you what is required or recommended.

along with what ryan said above, rotate your fuel system cleaner with a PEA like Regaine which is available at walmart along with a few others.

i like to do a solvent, then a PEA(which may have few solvents in itself) on the next and so on and so forth.

Another vote for Techron fuel system cleaner. Easy to find at just about any place that carries auto parts. Used some on a 2004 F150 I recently purchased with about 125k miles. After use it made a noticeable difference in power.

I've used the product before on previous vehicles, and I never did notice a difference before and after, but I was using it regularly (so without any real evidence I can only assume it was keeping everything clean).

Get some Gumout Regane fuel system cleaner or Gumout All-in-One fuel system cleaner. It's cheapest at Wal-mart but you can get it at any decent auto parts store.

Use the entire bottle in the tank, fill it up, then drive it until it's at least 3/4 empty.

Then use the Gumout Regane every 4,000 miles to keep it away from the dealer and his $300 "service work."

Techron will work, too.

My preference is Gumout.

And as mentioned earlier, change your own cabin filter. Have someone show you how and you'll save $$$ down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back