Bottled water on track to outsell soda by 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
bottled water is nothing special, it is mostly 'purified' tap water and bottles add to our problems. I drink from the tap and use my own Zojirushi/Thermos to carry it in.

Its great that less are drinking soda but bottled water is NOT the answer.

The global bottled water industry is horrible and needs to BURN, right now.

Only apparently smart humans could put something as sacred as water into something made from oil, drink it on mass and think that everything is going to be ok.

Bottled water is a huge problem.

"Tapped", "F.L.O.W. (For Love Of Water)" and Blue Gold, World water wars are great informative films id highly recommend.

Vote with your dollars, boycott bottled water.

I am surprised it isn't outselling it now. You see lots of people walking around carrying a bottle of water and not very many carrying a soda.

Originally Posted By: Brad_C
Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Only in America will people pay big money for "premium" water.

Twaddle. It's popular all over the westernised world.

+1. Bottled water is very common elswhere.

If soda was made with real sugar, Id be more interested. Now its only in that form at passover, in Mexican shops and when Pepsico decides to sell "throwback" versions. Or when one buys a boutique soda for more $$$.

I like soda, dont get me wrong. Certainly dont care to have it daily - more like a once or twice a year thing.

i have pretty much eliminated soda. Coffee, tea, milk, water and occasional juice is what i have now. Am Drinking tap water at home and work using filter on a pitcher.

My dentist thinks that bottled water is to acidic, but many times on the road i have to have bottle water instead of dehydrating.

Also, stro_cruiser: more and more of our water piping infrastucture is now hdpe made from petroleum.

Last edited:
I find it hard to believe folks are drinking less pop, soda etc.

But drinking more bottled water is definitely a step in the right direction IMO even if its a Pespi/ Coke product.

I am personally a fan of the reverse osmosis stuff from the grocery store you can get for .39 a gal. if you supply the jug.

Originally Posted By: John_Conrad

My dentist thinks that bottled water is to acidic, but many times on the road i have to bottle water instead of dehydrating.

My pH meter disagrees with him, but I'm sure it's a bit more region specific. You'd taste the acidity if it was there. Other than that, we (our family) use a filter jug and refillable water bottles.

We do bottled water if we run out of our own supply while we are out, but it's not often.

You will however have to pry my coffee machine from my cold dead (and probably still shaking) hands.

My favourite Red Dwarf quotes "The man, Henri le Clerque, was attempting to poison the mineral spring in France which is the source of all the world's Perrier water. Had he succeeded experts believe the middle class would have been wiped out within three weeks."\

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Only in America will people pay big money for "premium" water.

Twaddle. It's popular all over the westernised world.
In developing world, it is even more popular! You can guess why bottled water is needed there.

Originally Posted By: John_Conrad

My dentist thinks that bottled water is to acidic, but many times on the road i have to bottle water instead of dehydrating.

My pH meter disagrees with him, but I'm sure it's a bit more region specific. You'd taste the acidity if it was there. Other than that, we (our family) use a filter jug and refillable water bottles.

We do bottled water if we run out of our own supply while we are out, but it's not often.

You will however have to pry my coffee machine from my cold dead (and probably still shaking) hands.

My favourite Red Dwarf quotes "The man, Henri le Clerque, was attempting to poison the mineral spring in France which is the source of all the world's Perrier water. Had he succeeded experts believe the middle class would have been wiped out within three weeks."\

thanks for the info on the ph, it is good to know.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I drink lots of tap water mixed with various JuicyJuice juices.

JuicyJuice is way too sweet to drink by itself.

your post jarred my memory,,,

on occasion i will do the same with a gatorade-that is dilute some into a glass of ice water.

Originally Posted By: stro_cruiser
Its great that less are drinking soda but bottled water is NOT the answer.

The global bottled water industry is horrible and needs to BURN, right now.

I agree completely. I'm glad soda consumption is dropping, but consuming vast amounts of bottled water, burning the energy to transport it by truck, and consuming the resources to produce the bottles (nevermind them cluttering the landscape) when other options are available is ridiculous. The "first world" is exactly the LAST place where bottled water makes sense. It makes sense where there isn't a good infrastructure to deliver safe water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back