For Those that use Diesel Oil in Bikes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had never noticed that Amsoil offered two oils for gas/diesel auto's in weights suitable for cycles, that are JASO MA rated, as is the Mobil1 4T. These first two listed below are a couple bucks cheaper than the third listing which is Motorcycle specific. Looking at stats, first two exceed the motorcycle and interest me enough to want to try them. In order as listed below:

10-40 20-50 10-40 MC
Viscosity 100c 14.5 18.9 14.2
Viscosity index 164 165 161
Hi temp shear 12.1 12.1 11.1

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/mo.../?code=AMOQT-EA

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/mo.../?code=AROQT-EA

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/mo.../?code=MCFQT-EA

Last edited:
Not to be picky but the correct term would be mixed fleet oil or HDEO. There are many diesel only oils that arent rated for gasoline use.

Originally Posted By: buck91
One of my reasons for hdeo in the bike is cost effectiveness combined with good performance.

Same here, I've used amsoil mc and HDD , i've run rotella 15w 40 and 5w 40.
For no more than i run it the rotella 1540 does best. The t-6 seems to shear and my clutch feels notchy after a 1000 miles or so.

I've used the AMO in two different motorcycles, as I can easily get it locally at a farm supply store for $9 a quart.

I was told that it was an older version of the MCF oil, and that's why it carries the JASO-MA approval.

One thing that gets me about amsoil is, they say it can go for "extended" oci's based on a uoa. When you figure the cost of amsoil in the first place, then the cost of a uoa, What have you saved by using amsoil, over regular oil changed at the manufacturers recommended oci? Valvoline mc and Vr-1 oil cost half what amsoil does, and if you get a wild hare to change it sooner the suggested, you still have a well protected motor with more $$$ in your pocket.,,

Originally Posted By: tc1446

think you got the TBN listed instead

Originally Posted By: buck91
One of my reasons for hdeo in the bike is cost effectiveness combined with good performance.

Agreed.
If I can't get Rotella or another brand name HDEO on some kind of closeout for $2.00/qt or less, I'll get Blain's Farm & Fleet brand HDEO for around that price.

Earlier in the summer, AutoZone had Valvoline synthetic 20W50 motorcycle oil on clearance for $3.00/qt.

At those prices, $9.00 or more for Amsoil pyramid-scheme cult oil will remain on the shelf when any of my bikes need an oil change.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
One thing that gets me about amsoil is, they say it can go for "extended" oci's based on a uoa. When you figure the cost of amsoil in the first place, then the cost of a uoa, What have you saved by using amsoil, over regular oil changed at the manufacturers recommended oci? Valvoline mc and Vr-1 oil cost half what amsoil does, and if you get a wild hare to change it sooner the suggested, you still have a well protected motor with more $$$ in your pocket.,,
What irritates ME is recently when on a site to download a manual I found that Amsiol had dreamed up some schitk where they plant a link to their "wonderful" site disguised as a page turn arrow and for EVERY page. Cheap trick, how do they think it gets them customers?

Originally Posted By: pb

think you got the TBN listed instead

Yep, thats the TBN, Hi Temp Shear is 4.3, 5.0, 4.1

Had never noticed that Amsoil offered two oils for gas/diesel auto's in weights suitable for cycles, that are JASO MA rated, as is the Mobil1 4T. These first two listed below are a couple bucks cheaper than the third listing which is Motorcycle specific. Looking at stats, first two exceed the motorcycle and interest me enough to want to try them. In order as listed below:

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/mo.../?code=AMOQT-EA

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/mo.../?code=AROQT-EA

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/mo.../?code=MCFQT-EA

Great post, many may not know that approx 50% of the motorcycles over 600 cc sold every year in the USA require either the manufacturers brand oil or diesel oil. (Harley Davidson)

I follow my manual and use the required diesel oil and that is 20w50 CH or higher rated oil.
I am currently using semi syn Mystik 20w50 CJ4 rated HEDO. So far my UOAs, posted on this site are pretty good. Cost around $35 for a 2 gallon jug, online or oreillys auto parts.
Its made by Citgo, same company that makes Harley oil.

There are limited options in the USA for this type of oil and you are correct, Amsoil offers a premium version. If I didnt change so often OR if Amsoil was easier to buy I might be tempted buy their oil.
The first 2 of 3 you posted meets the requirements but this one is the preferred Amsoil 20/50 HEDO

Last edited:
I haven't seen any manufacturer "require their Brand" of oil be used in their vehicle. Because they would have to give it to you for free, and you know that ain't gonna happen. Just exactly what does the CH or higher rating mean in reference to a Harley motor? And what exactly does it do for a Harley motor? I've never seen a VOA or a UOA say anywhere what the oil is rated, or if it will harm the motor the sample is from. I'm thinking it's leaglese, and really won't mean much of anything.,,

I haven't seen any manufacturer "require their Brand" of oil be used in their vehicle. Because they would have to give it to you for free, and you know that ain't gonna happen. Just exactly what does the CH or higher rating mean in reference to a Harley motor? And what exactly does it do for a Harley motor? I've never seen a VOA or a UOA say anywhere what the oil is rated, or if it will harm the motor the sample is from. I'm thinking it's leaglese, and really won't mean much of anything.,,

You seem to have misread my post. I never said Harley requires only their brand.
(they require their brand OR diesel CH4 or higher)

As far as exactly what CH or higher rating means in reference to a Harley motor I do not question the reasoning what Harley puts in the owners manual as I dont question the reasoning of automobile/truck owners manual oil requirements such as SM or SN either. I just assume, hope and pray they know more then me and I can only assume, since they developed the engine, they do know more then me. WAY more then me.

Last edited:
I never said that, you did. Your last post said 50% of bikes over 600 cc's did. To which I responded, that they would have to give the oil to you. So you will blindly use an oil not made for a motorcycle, but won't use oils made by other oil manufacturers specifically for motorcycles?. Even ones made for Harley's superficially. But you blindly follow some marketing guys recommendation to use diesel fleet oil, and that doesn't seem sketchy to you?.,,

I never said that, you did. Your last post said 50% of bikes over 600 cc's did. To which I responded, that they would have to give the oil to you. So you will blindly use an oil not made for a motorcycle, but won't use oils made by other oil manufacturers specifically for motorcycles?. Even ones made for Harley's superficially. But you blindly follow some marketing guys recommendation to use diesel fleet oil, and that doesn't seem sketchy to you?.,,

Your misreading my post, but in the interest of the OP I will not clog up his thread. If you re-read it, you will see "requires the manufactures oil OR diesel oil"

Here is what I wrote ...
"Great post, many may not know that approx 50% of the motorcycles over 600 cc sold every year in the USA require either the manufacturers brand oil or diesel oil. (Harley Davidson)"

To your second question, "blindly following" I do not know why your asking.
Again, I do not consider it "blindly following" by using the fluids recommended by the maker of the product. The maker of the product in this case is Harley Davidson, selling over 50% of the motorcycles over 600cc in the USA every year. They recommend their oil OR diesel oil.
Ill opt out of this subject to not clog up the OPs thread now. I explained myself as best I can.

Last edited:
Ok, so your saying you didn't say half the bikes sold over 600cc require their manufactures oil or diesel oil, but your explanation says that. And that Harley recommends a diesel oil, which they do not sell or stock in their dealerships. Blindly following is what your doing whether you want to believe it or not. I haven't seen one diesel oil bottle that says to use it in a Harley.But they have you believing it's ok to use. And you would pass by Mobile 1 V-twin,Valvoline mc oil, Castrol mc oil, Amsoil v-twin oil for a bottle of Rotella because Harley said so?.,,

Your not understanding what I wrote, if anyone else cares to comment feel free.
Im not sure why your not or your just joking on me. Here again, last time ....

"Great post, many may not know that approx 50% of the motorcycles over 600 cc sold every year in the USA require either the manufacturers brand oil or diesel oil. (Harley Davidson)"

If this helps, the above means, Harley sells 50% of the bikes above 600 cc and the Harley owners manual calls for Harley HD 360 OR Diesel Oil. I explained as best I could. Maybe someone else can help. :eek:)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
Not to be picky but the correct term would be mixed fleet oil or HDEO. There are many diesel only oils that arent rated for gasoline use.

Not to be picky but the Harley owners manual uses the word Diesel Oil. Not mixed fleet or HEDO. :eek:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back