Walmart stops selling AR15's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't matter to me WRT WalMart- I agree with what MolaKule said. Plenty of other quality gun shops within easy driving distance for me to even begin of thinking about WM.

Originally Posted By: PSS
When the democrats win the presidency thanks to Donald Trump there will be another gun purchase frenzy since the democrats will be coming for everyone's guns. Just like after Obama's fist and second term. Oh wait. No one came for their guns?

Maybe Wal-Mart will get back in them.

They just wanted to ban anything that holds more than 10 rounds. Magazine turn ins have already started in LA and San Francisco.. even if it was bought while they were legal.

You sir seem to be okay with being the frog in a pot of slow boiling water.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: PSS
When the democrats win the presidency thanks to Donald Trump there will be another gun purchase frenzy since the democrats will be coming for everyone's guns. Just like after Obama's fist and second term. Oh wait. No one came for their guns?

Maybe Wal-Mart will get back in them.

They just wanted to ban anything that holds more than 10 rounds. Magazine turn ins have already started in LA and San Francisco.. even if it was bought while they were legal.

+1

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Since when does walmart sell guns?

They are the largest retailer/seller of firearms in the country.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

That is what they want now. Then it will be any gun with a magazine, then all guns holding more than one round, then single shots. It will never end for the anti's. Their ultimate goal is to end gun ownership period.

Anyone who thinks the anti gun crowd "just wants XXX", and once they get it will be content, is fooling themselves. Most anti's know that a complete gun ban law that outlaws them all at once will never happen. Law abiding gun owners and reasonable citizens in this country who value and honor our Constitution would not stand for it and would rise up.

The anti's know that, so to reach their ultimate goal they have to do it piece by piece. They are slowly chipping away at our rights knowing that if you take enough chips eventually you take the whole thing. They also know that if you do it a little bit here and a little bit there they can slowly slip it past people until it is too late to stop it.

THAT is their goal. They could care less about 10+ shot magazines. That is just one step in many with the ultimate goal to get rid of legal gun ownership.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
It's a shame really, because they kept the local gun stores in check if you wanted an tactical style rifle or shotgun. Wal-Mart sold the same exact thing as your local gun shops for several hundred dollars cheaper in many cases.

Local guns stores in check? I think not.... more like they caused local gun stores to CLOSE.

A shop has to make a living. These gun shops are NOT Cabela's, they are independent dealers.

Saying Wal-Mart kept stores in check is like saying Wal-Mart sells Snapper mowers, keeping the local lawn mower repair shop in check...... Local shops no way, no how can compete with Wal-Mart.

Last edited:
What I find funny in this thread, and it usually shows up in most any Wal-Mart thread, is the way people beat on them for destroying local businesses and such. However, the outrage seems to stop when it comes to buying oil.

Motor oil = Wal-Mart good
Everything else = Wal-Mart bad

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
Will prices go up or down?

WMT hasn't sold a gun in western Nassau County in years. Eastern L.I. their selection is small as far as guns go. I don't see it mattering much at all.

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
A shotgun or pistol is all anyone needs for protection.

What about hunting? What about simply enjoying target shooting? Self defense is not the only legitimate reason to own a firearm.

What if there are multiple attackers breaking into your home and threatening you and your family? Having a large capacity magazine can negate the need to reload and those valuable seconds can mean life or death for you and/or your loved ones. Why do you think most LEO's now use semi auto handguns instead of revolvers? It is because they have a larger ammo capacity and they can be reloaded quicker. I have seen a few guys who can reload a revolver with speed loaders as fast as most can reload a semi with clips but it is not the norm.

It isn't a gun problem, or a magazine capacity problem, it is a people problem. The problem is with those who take the guns and use them for ill purposes. Go after them and deal with them. Leave the law abiding gun owners alone. Don't punish us for what others do.

Last edited:
A shotgun or pistol is all anyone needs for protection.
Maybe. I like to go all disproportionate. #merica

Worrying about running out of ammo or perps with armor is overrated.

Last I checked,shotguns and pistols had more than 1 shot in them.
I don't sit around in my recliner dressed up like Dog the Bounty Hunter thinking I am going to be invaded,so I feel no need to own any military type weapon. These guns are not for hunting or target shooting unless you just want to make noise. We have the right to own guns,just not any type gun.
That's what I think.

Quote:
These guns are not for hunting or target shooting unless you just want to make noise.
You mind telling me what the hunters and competition shooters using ARs are doing if they're not hunting and target/sport shooting? Not sure why acceptable gun design had to stop in the 19th Century. I see you have modern Vee hick alls. Where is your horse and buggy?

I don't sit around in my recliner dressed up like Dog the Bounty Hunter thinking I am going to be invaded,so I feel no need to own any military type weapon. These guns are not for hunting or target shooting unless you just want to make noise. We have the right to own guns,just not any type gun.
That's what I think.

Please describe, in detail, EXACTLY how an AR15 and a Ruger Ranch in .223 Remington are functionally different. Be specific.

That's what I think.

I never said shotguns and revolvers didn't have more than 1 shot in them. There are single shot versions in both however, not to mention double barrel shotguns that only have a 2 shell capacity, just as an FYI.

My point was shotguns and revolvers have a limited magazine capacity by design. In a revolver you get what you get; an average of 6 rounds and that is it( some have a higher capacity but generally they are smaller rounds that are not suitable for SD ). No way to increase it. Shotguns have a fixed magazine capacity as well although on some models you can buy an extended magazine but it is limited to no longer than the barrel length. Semi auto pistols use magazines( clips )that hold more rounds standard and you can buy extended capacity magazines and provide more rounds when needed. As said it is why LEO's have mostly swapped over to them from revolvers. More rounds and easier to reload.

Let's address reloading if needed too. Have you ever reloaded a shotgun, revolver, and semi auto pistol? Hands down the fastest to reload is the semi auto with the slide in clip. When your life is on the line speed of reloading is very important.

Semi Auto Pistol:
When the last round in a semi auto pistol is discharged the action remains in the reward/eject position. You simply depress the clip release( can be done with a finger/thumb without looking as you reach for a full clip )and the empty clip slides out. The new clip just slides in and when seated you hit the slide/action release so it goes forward loading a round and you are good to go. Someone who is good at it can reload without ever taking their eyes off the "target". You would be amazed at how fast someone who is familiar with the firearm can reload a semi auto pistol.

Revolvers:
A revolver takes some effort to reload and you have to look at what you are doing. Once the last round is discharged you have to release the cylinder and swing it out. Then you have to press the shell ejector lever to push the empty shell casings out of the cylinder. Sometimes they hang and you have to shake the gun to make them drop or even pull them the rest of the way out manually. Then you have to reload each chamber of the cylinder( either manually which is very slow or via a speed loader which is faster but still takes concentration to line up ). Once loaded the cylinder can be swung back in place and the gun is ready to fire.

I actually did my Police Firearms qualification( had to take the same basic course & do the same qualification shooting to be a licensed armed security guard in my state )using my service weapon which was a S&W .357 revolver. I got pretty good reloading that thing quickly using speed loaders but I couldn't beat even the average guy using a semi auto pistol with the clips. It is that much faster and easier. I personally like a revolver because it isn't susceptible to jamming the way a semi auto pistol is. Also, if a round is dead you just squeeze the trigger again and the cylinder rotates to the next round with a revolver whereas a semi auto pistol requires manually ejecting it. For speed and capacity though, it is not a contest between the two.

Shotgun:
While they do make speed loaders for pump/semi auto shotguns they are large, bulky, awkward, and you better practice with them if you plan on using them in a high pressure SD situation. The few shotguns I have seen with clips are actually bolt actions models which I would not want to use for SD. To reload a shotgun manually be it a single shot, double barrel, pump, or semi auto you have to insert shells one at a time, manually, until it is reloaded. Shotguns are great SD weapons as long as you don't run out of ammo before you run out of attackers.

Who said you had to be DTBH to have interest in military style weapons? See, that kind of comment right there is what gets someone labeled as a fanatic or as someone who is unreasonable. Any valid point you might have will be dismissed. Just because someone owns an AR15 doesn't mean they are end of the world types or some kind of unstable nut job.

Lots of people own AR's and the like simply because they enjoy shooting. It is no different than why people own different brands and types of vehicles. It can be because of need or because of want/like. Are you okay with others telling you what kind of vehicle you must drive and allowing others to dictate what you need and don't?

Lots of people use AR's for hunting and while an AR wouldn't be my choice to hunt with I will defend others rights to choose it. They are a blast to target shoot with though. As Jaraxle pointed out a .223 is a .223 regardless of the appearance of the firearm. Not only that but the AR15 comes in a variety of calibers suitable for many purposes....

.17 Remington
.17/223
.20 Tactical
.20 Practical
.20 Vartag
.204 Ruger
.221 Fireball
.222 Remington
.222 Remington Magnum
.223 Remington
.223 Remington Ackley Improved
5.56x45mm ( same thing basically as .223 Rem )
6x45mm
6mm TCU
6x47mm
6mm Whisper
.25x45mm
6.5mm Whisper
7mm Whisper
7mm TCU
.300 Whisper (.300/221, .300 Fireball)
.338 Whisper

It is a slippery slope when people start deciding what others should think. Hey, I don't drink at all and despise alcoholic beverages of all types. Is it ok for me to then tell you that you don't need a cold beer, glass of wine, or mixed drink and that we should make alcohol illegal? As long as the person drinking does so responsibly I don't care what they do. Just because I don't like something or see a need for it doesn't mean they don't and shouldn't be allowed to.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Who buys guns at WM anyway? It was kinda strange when the black rifles showed up there a couple of years ago, if they go away so what? The counter guys tell me since the craze died down they aren't selling any. Or 22s for that matter since you still can't buy ammo.

Might have to go see if the local WM is having the close outs.

Tons of people do. They buy ammo at WM also. Number one destination for guns and ammo in the US. Good morning.

I hope they will get into pistol business and regulate the market for consumers' benefit. I would love to be able to order online and pick up in store and not pay a penny for background checks. WM, please get into the business of selling pistols fast. Price match rocks too.

Originally Posted By: kozanoglu
Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Who buys guns at WM anyway? It was kinda strange when the black rifles showed up there a couple of years ago, if they go away so what? The counter guys tell me since the craze died down they aren't selling any. Or 22s for that matter since you still can't buy ammo.

Might have to go see if the local WM is having the close outs.

Tons of people do. They buy ammo at WM also. Number one destination for guns and ammo in the US. Good morning.

I hope they will get into pistol business and regulate the market for consumers' benefit. I would love to be able to order online and pick up in store and not pay a penny for background checks. WM, please get into the business of selling pistols fast. Price match rocks too.

You have to pay for the background check? We don't pay here.

That's what I think.

Why, then, do the police need semi-auto pistols? Why do they have AR-pattern carbines in the trunk of their patrol cars?

Weapons have evolved. The AR-15 is a 50 year old design. So, it looks "military"...but it's a semi-auto...and it's a 50 year old rifle...

Cars, building construction, clothing, computers, nearly everything has been developed and improved over those 50 years...so, why restrict a legal gun owner to 100 year old technology. Particularly when you allow the Police to use modern/50 year old technology, for their defense? You wouldn't mandate that I remove the ABS, airbags, and crumple zones from my car, would you? Should we restrict all cars to 100HP (what they had 50+ years ago) in the name of car safety? If we slowed drivers down, the roads would be safer, right?

Why restrict me to a less effective firearm? If I need a gun, then why shouldn't I have the most effective arm, be it revolver, semi-auto pistol, shotgun, or rifle, for my situation?

In particular, a shotgun is a decent choice for self-defense...if you have it with you...and if you can use it in a house, looking around door frames, etc. The Pistol is a decent choice...if you don't have a shotgun or rifle...their only advantage is the ability to have them with you...but they don't perform nearly as well as a rifle...and revolvers are a good choice for those who don't train as much on reloading...

But if you want an effective weapon, it's a rifle. That's why cops have 'em...that's why the military has 'em.

Who cares if it's used for hunting or target shooting? Target shooting is not a protected Constitutional right. Neither is hunting. Owning a firearm for self-defense and collective defense IS a Constitutional right. For those purposes, you need an effective weapon. The whole "legitimate sporting purposes" spiel is a lie...a diversion used by people that want to restrict gun rights while sounding reasonable in doing so...it's amazing how many people fall for that specious, deceptive line of reasoning...and think that only "legitimate sporting purposes" is what the Constitution protects.

But they're wrong. The Constution, according to the SCOTUS, protects the right to both personal and collective self-defense. Restricting the tools with which that right is exercised is a restriction on that right.

What you feel you need to own is fine. I don't care what you feel you need to do. You're free to vote, or not. Go to church, or not. Smoke, or not. Drink, or not. Eat red meat, or not. You're free to choose...but where I draw the line is when you feel the need to restrict my choices in the exercise of my rights.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
That's what I think.

Please describe, in detail, EXACTLY how an AR15 and a Ruger Ranch in .223 Remington are functionally different. Be specific.

One looks mean and offends people?
28.gif

One is black and scary-looking. One is traditional in appearance.

So, let's ban the black, scary-looking one on the basis of...appearance.

Discrimination based on color and appearance?

OK....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back