ammo design and performance criteria

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnewton3

Staff member
I recently attended a workshop put on by Glock/Speer reps and the topic was wound-balistic performance of the common calibers. Admittedly, this was Glock/Speer sponsored, and so they were touting their own products. But the info and demonstrations that were exhibited did tell a very interesting story line emerging in today's ammo.

As a generalization, high velocity no longer has much to do with terminal performance. Yes - you read that right. I realize many of you are reeling on the floor in pain and/or "LMAO" because that seems like heresy. But the data revealed in the training, as well as the actual exhibition on the range, show that this is true, within reason. And I'm limiting this to handgun topics and not rifles; that was the premise of the day's training. I am not saying velocity isn't important; that's not true. In fact it is VERY important. But what I'm going to show you (as was proved to me) is that HIGH VELOCITY is not important. Control of velocity is PARAMOUNT because it must be matched with other factors of the bullet; propellant and bullet must work together. But the "need for speed" is gone. Read on ...

Specifically, because of MUCH tighter controls in terms of design and manufacturing, as well as an ever-growing knowledge base, bullets/propellants are now able to be paired in combinations that make the general penetration abilities nearly equal. I say "nearly" because there is essentially overlap in the newest products today that blur the performance envelopes.

The Speer rep presented great evidence in data format that shows each and every round can be tailor-designed for proper penetration and expansion; these are the two most paramount criteria to meet. It used to be thought that velocity was the greatest contributor; and back in the day, that was mostly true. But as the control of design and making rounds has vastly improved, together the propellant burn and bullet design usurp the "need for speed". In fact, (because Speer does all manner of projectiles, they have a VERY diverse base of knowledge), until you get upwards for 2200 fps, velocity means little AS LONG AS the bullet/propellant are complimentary to the task at hand! Yes - you can reread that a few times as you curse my name in disbelief.

To "put up or shut up", we went out to the range and spent a few hours poking holes in block after block after block of ballistic gelatin. We shot into bare gelatin, clothed gelatin, and even clothed gelatin behind laminated auto-glass (simulating a windshield; one of the toughest barriers that alters terminal performance). And as most of you know, my background in statistical process control made me start asking a lot of questions. We all got to shoot many different combinations of rounds in 9mm, .40S&W, .45ACP. And without exception, all of them performed with such overlap in performance (defined as expansion and penetration) that there was no essential difference. The variance of one design was generally greater than the variance between calibers. The "range" of penetration and expansion for a 9mm was just as effective as .45ACP and .40S&W. In short, they all went about to the same depth and opened up with great reliability.

This all becomes easier to understand thinking of it this way:
rather than making velocity king (as a set output), and hoping for a result of penetration/expansion, they focus on the penetration/expansion and place velocity as just one of many variables, using all to achieve a two things (penetration depth and expansion percentage). They basically design a complimentary propellant that burns at a desired rate, developing a specific pressure, and couple that with bullet that has features making it open/peel in a controlled manner so that the targeted depth of penetration (15-18 inches) and open-petal mass are maintained.

I walked away from that session with a complete paradigm shift. I was always a fan of "big and fast" (hence my love of the 10mm). But now I see that even 9mm will do everything the other two will do, and do it reliably. So whether you favor big and fast, big and slow, slow and fat, it does not matter. Your .357Sig is no longer going to outperform a 9mm, as long as you choose the right ammo for your specific weapon.

Now - it is IMPERATIVE to realize that these products are much more specific to the application. If you want this kind of performance, the products are not cheap. And, they are specific even to length of barrel (LOB). You can no longer just have one favorite round, and stick it in any gun you want. If you favor 9mm, you cannot use the same ammo in both your little Glk 26 and your long Glk 17; that same round will not perform the same way out of both guns. Same can be said for a Long Slide 1911 and stub-barrel Kahr .45. I am not saying that one round will not work for every gun, but I am saying that they will not work as well as intended in every gun length. Sure, they will fire and penetrate, regardless of which you choose. But they will not penetrate, and expand, equally well when you vary the barrel so much.

They are literally getting to the point where even the propellant characteristics are being tailored; they can control how quickly a primer fires, how quickly a powder burns, and where the peak pressure wave exists in the overall explosion process (early, mid or late rise). Does the powder burn fast and early, peaking soon and then tapering quickly? Will the powder burn evenly throughout the process? Shall the powder "ramp up" the burn towards the end of the cycle? It is literally that technical now. And it matters. They can prove it.

Because of the incredible control they now have, they are able to design and make rounds with bullets and propellants so specific that even a few milli-seconds of time in the chamber and barrel make a difference in terminal performance, if paired with the appropriate bullet design. If you favor a Glk 26, you're going to actually want a particular round, where jacket, web and density of materials are so TIGHTLY engineered that the design is not going to work as well in a Glk 34, where the bbl length is so vastly different. You may get over-speed in the longer bbl, and that would actually degrade the expansion because it goes too fast to properly expand at the desired depth. Or conversely, using a round designed for a Glk 17 LOB (length of bbl) will not develop enough energy to propel the bullet fully to it's desired intent if used in a short bbl gun.

It was facinating. I came away a with a whole new view of how to look at this topic. I was impressed.

And as I said, this was a sponsored event, so I cannot comment on other brands of ammo and guns. Although the reps did say that this is not unique to them; all manufacturers are gleaning this info now.

The bottom line is this:
the debate about how effective a round is, based upon caliber, is moot.
The industry has realized, and is positioning itself due to engineering and manufacturing advancements, to be able to make any round perform as needed, when used in the correct application. Rather than focusing on inputs first, they are looking at the end result as paramount. They are manipulating variables (speed, burn rate ramping, bullet weight, bullet web and jacket design, etc) all to do two things ...
penetrate 15-18 inches and open to full expansion quickly after entry.
And they are doing it quite well now.

But doesn't that sound familiar? Kind of like the things I talk about when it comes to motor oils? Don't focus on inputs; look to manage results.

Food for thought.

You may now pick yourself up, utter your contempt, and rejoin your morning routine.

Last edited:
Great post. I've seen tests where a particular ammo does really well out of a 3" barrel, and fairly poorly out of a 4.5" barrel.

Which makes sense when I read this, because more velocity isn't necessarily better. If the round was designed to expand and penetrate properly at 1000 fps, it won't work as well at 1100 fps.

Wow!

Very interesting...

Now, as a practical matter, you've explored terminal performance in man-sized targets...so, if you're looking for self-defense against bears, or other, larger/tougher targets, then I remain a 10mm fan...and I'll keep the 180GR JHP Buffalo Bore for one set of targets, and the 220GR Hard Cast Buffalo Bore for another set, loaded in my G20...

But when it comes to a concealed carry/SD pistol choice, I had been leaning towards my H&K USPC in .40...but I now see that my G19 would do equally well... and I gain 3 rounds in the magazine over the USPC, or my G23...

Sadly, the Speer Gold-dots I ordered months ago are still back-ordered...

Last edited:
In regard to your comments on hunting/animal defense, I would both agree and disagree.

I agree in that the topic I was speaking to was about human targets and not large mass animals.

But I disagree in that if you manage the inputs to affect the desired result, then it should not matter. If you want to put down a wild boar, then they can design a .45ACP to be just as effective as a 10mm or .454Cas, as long as the physical characteristics of the round can facilitate the needed inputs (can it hold enough powder, and can the gun design support the anticipated chamber pressures). It would be true to say that a .380ACP would probably be ineffective, because it cannot hold a bullet large enough or enough powder to develop the performance needed. But a .45ACP, a 10mm, or .460S&W, etc can all be tailored to have the desire effect. Given a desire penetration, the density of impact material (how "tough" is the boar's skin and meat), they can then design the bullet and manipulate the inputs to achieve the result. As long as the physical gun properties can support the needed variables, the round will do what you ask IF it is designed with that criteria in mind.

Keep in mind my "training day" was sponsored by Speer and Glock for law enforcement firearms officers; putting down a human target was the topic of the day. Not large mass animals.

This topic would not apply to rifles, because Speer has found that above 2200fps, then velocity does have other effects. But in typical handgun applications for human targets, speed is only a variable to control in-line with other important criteria, and speed is NOT king.

It used to be that the concept was this easy: F=MA or force is equal to mass x acceleration. But that concept ignored things like bullet material density, petal web design, web thickness, powder burn rate, peak pressure in cycle time, etc, etc.

Now, they look at the desired result as two criteria regarding human targets:
15-18 inches deep, with full expansion quickly after entry while retaining mass.

And whatever they can manipulate to achieve that is paramount. Speed is a factor, but it is not THE factor.

Last edited:
TNOutdoors9 has been showing this for quite some time in his YouTube videos. There are a few more videos from others that argue this very point and back it up with statistics. However, I will say (IMHO) that while the gap has closed between calibers and their respective performances, there is still considerable gap between manufacturers and unless a standard is created to test against/meet (besides the FBI testing protocols) one will not be able to purchase ammo that performs to near levels from different manufacturers very easily. With that said nearly all of the top names have defense ammo for long/short barrels--Hornady Critical Duty (longer barrels) and Critical Defense (shorter barrels) comes to mind.

Very good write up. Spending a lot of time overseas (3 years in Iraq) I did a bit of reading and watching videos of exactly what you described. On youtube there is a gentleman named Tnoutdoors9 that does ballistic testing per the FBI protocol and shows the results. All makes and models of rounds. You would find it interesting I believe. Best to you all.

I would agree.

I asked about the "Critical" products at the training. The Speer rep said they were good products, but they had not tested their competition much, yet. They are focusing on their product development for now.

I will also note that Critical Duty was developed specifically not just for long bbls, but specifically with FBI criteria of auto-glass in mind, whereas the Critical Defense didn't take that barrier into consideration. It's more than just LOB in play here.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
I would agree.

I asked about the "Critical" products at the training. The Speer rep said they were good products, but they had not tested their competition much, yet. They are focusing on their product development for now.

I will also note that Critical Duty was developed specifically not just for long bbls, but specifically with FBI criteria of auto-glass in mind, whereas the Critical Defense didn't take that barrier into consideration. It's more than just LOB in play here.
Agree; Critical Duty was designed (IMHO) towards LEO use (as well as civilians).

If you go to the Speer website, they do have some info, but I found it not as informational as I would have liked in that it does not give a "use this in that" easy answer chart.

But they have great C/S; so give them a call!

after reading about 4 or 5 reports on handgun bullet performance for personal/home defense and watching multiple YouTube tests on the same, I purchased a 12GA 6 shot pump action shotgun because it was rated highest in home defense weapons for stopping a threat in one shot.

Good writeup Dave.

I'm with Astro in terms of caliber selection.

I have shot and experimented with just about every pistol caliber and In terms of personal preference, the .40 does it for me in the S&W SD40. The terminal energy and bullet cross section, coupled with the correct bullet geometry, seems to produce the best terminal characteristics for self defense.

In terms of internal ballistics, it is true that powder/bullet combinations have been improved to the point that terminal ballistics can be nailed down quite accurately, especially in terms of the spreading of bullet energy in wound channels.

Again, putting the bullet into the target, no matter what caliber is used, seems to me to be one of the most important characteristics, and practice is the only way to accomplish this.

Last edited:
This sounds like what I used to deal with-the mix of engineering and marketing that drove the production people nuts keeping up with it all. Maybe we'll be seeing ammo marketed as 'Winter/Minnesota' to compensate for lower temp propellant and heavy clothing. Then, of course, there'd be the 'Summer/Arizona, too!

This all seems like a refinement of the work done in the mid 80s after the FBI incident in Miami. There was a major push to better understand external ballistics at that time, the result being Hornady’s XTP, Speer’s Gold Dot, Winchester’s Black Talon, and Remington’s Golden Saber lines of bullets and ammo. (Federal already had a winner with the Hydra-Shok). The latest efforts appear to be directed at matching velocity and bullet expansion characteristics to achieve a desired result.

There is a better selection of both handgun bullets and powders now than 30 years ago. That allows for better matching of components and makes better performance possible, but I don’t see anything especially new.

Quote:
To "put up or shut up", we went out to the range and spent a few hours poking holes in block after block after block of ballistic gelatin. We shot into bare gelatin, clothed gelatin, and even clothed gelatin behind laminated auto-glass (simulating a windshield; one of the toughest barriers that alters terminal performance). And as most of you know, my background in statistical process control made me start asking a lot of questions. We all got to shoot many different combinations of rounds in 9mm, .40S&W, .45ACP. And without exception, all of them performed with such overlap in performance (defined as expansion and penetration) that there was no essential difference. The variance of one design was generally greater than the variance between calibers. The "range" of penetration and expansion for a 9mm was just as effective as .45ACP and .40S&W. In short, they all went about to the same depth and opened up with great reliability.
What does gel testing have to do with shooting actual people? In truth they have absolutely no idea how the human body and nerve system reacts by shooting gel. Almost all people shot act in a way that isn't consistent to damage the bullet has done. Someone shot in the heart has no physical reason stop fighting for at least ten seconds. Yet most people are immediately stopped by relatively superficial injuries. Clearly there is a significant unknown component to GSWs that we have no reliable way to measure. Because it can't be measured doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Therefore your entire premise is incorrect. While modern ammo may be wonderfully consistent there is no scientific evidence to support that velocity and energy play absolutely no role.

It used to be thought that velocity was the greatest contributor; and back in the day, that was mostly true.

The debate of fast/light energy versus slow/heavy momentum has gone on since the invention of smokeless powder made velocity differences noticeable. It was epitomized by O'Connor vs Keith, made almost irrelevant in rifles (but still debated) by better bullet construction, and then picked up in handgun circles as 45 vs 9mm (or new insert your new cartridge of the month here).

Despite the debate, everyone (not totally clueless) knew bullet performance was driven by many factors, nose shape, lead alloy, jacket thickness, etc. I've been reading historical discussions going back to the 1930's about all these factors, albeit mostly for rifles. By the 1950's handgun culture became the new fertile ground for experimentation, as people did wild and funky new things like shoot something other than a RN FMJ out of 45's, shoot something other than lead bullets out of revolvers (huh? jacketed in a revolver? Who ever does that?), etc. Most of the discussion involved balancing velocity and expansion versus penetration. Shoot Phil Sharpe's book has long discussions on balancing all the factors of bullet performance, in what, the early 1930's?

The idea, though,that "back in the day" (since 1909 anyway) everyone considered velocity to be the greatest contributor to handgun terminal performance had to be an idiot (plenty of those around); anyone accepting this as a premise (straw man) that needed to be disproved (huh?) has to have been out of the ballistics game, since, uh, again, 1909.

You may now pick yourself up, utter your contempt, and rejoin your morning routine.

Heh. I guess everyone is still on their journey of discovery. No contempt there. Marketers set up a straw man, amply backed by quoted misknowlege provided by "gun writers", and then knock it down, no need to pick myself up from surprise on that account.

Just pick up any glossy magazine with a handgun barrel internally lit for optimum photogenic appeal to see what I mean. There target audience (heh) is commercial gun and ammo buyers, not anyone who actually knows ballistics. It's not like any handgun handloader hasn't been balancing velocity as just one factor against all the others, since, uh, there's been handloading... but that's a very small market.

The real news is not any ballistic discovery or careful manufacturing control, but that another domain of the handloader- specifically, ammo tailored for specific caliber and barrel length combinations- is now being filled in a much broader manner by commercial ammo. There's been previous tailor made loads for certain caliber/barrel length/velocity/bullet construction/etc, the old Federal "Chief's Special" load comes to mind.

Now there's a whole array of such tailored loads. Good for them. They're catching up to handloaders as of, oh, 1960 or so. At a very high cost, of course. Given a certain "gun writer" who has made a career of scaring handloaders away from CCW carrying their own ammo, I guess there's a small market right there, and of course, a huge LEO/Para-Military market as well.

But as a handloader, I see zero discovery here. Good commercial bullets for handguns have been around for decades, they required only a handloader to dial them in for optimal performance.

GREAT POST, HangFire.

It is nice to see that commercial loaders have come so far that they are tailoring loads to different barrel lengths - unfortunately, with few exceptions they haven't started marketing them this way yet. Speer has and does with their 'short barrel' loads, but it seems every other commercial ammo manufacturer is choosing one set of characteristics based on common/popular firearms in the specific caliber they are tailoring. Then they leave it up to us to figure out how well their loads work in our firearms.

Not that I'm particularly loyal to any specific ammo brand (I actually like several different brands; depending on caliber, bullet weight, barrel length, firearm type, etc., I think I've found some favorites from nearly everyone), but I will say that ATK/Vista seems to be way ahead of the curve when it comes to handgun ballistics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back