Buying long distance and shipping the car

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am considering buying a car from a private owner that is 1,000 miles from me and having it shipped. It is a low mileage estate car in Florida from a deceased parent. The car history and story seems to check out using Autocheck.

How would one go about paying for the car and getting the title signed over? Is there any ways to minimize the risk of sending my cashiers check or wire transfer payment to the person and them not following through on their end?

I don't know if the title should be mailed to me or stay in and with the car?

Also, any recommend car shipping company? I am looking at uship.com or DAS autoshippers.

Thanks for any suggestions from those that might have done this.

My uncle has done this a couple times, but it was for relatively high value 1970's muscle cars, so he did it in person - flew there and drove the car home.

Doing it completely electronically makes me nervous.

Never buy a car sight unseen.

Florida now has titles all in the state computers. If you need a paper title, you have to go to the DMV. Not sure if you can get one printed right there, or if it must be mailed from Tallahassee.

(Again, see and drive before you buy).

If they already have the paper title, and the legal release from the estate, then you should be ok, but best if you see and test before you buy.

Last edited:
Check Ebay for auto shippers. I assume you're buying "as is". The procedure I would "try" to follow is 1) you send small deposit ~ $200 2) they send you signed title 3) you send balance of payment 4) they release car to shipping company. Give & take on both sides - but transaction requires some degree of trust for both.

Recently car shopped and purchased a few months ago. I thought about buying cars out of state and would advise not to buy private party unless like NateDN10's uncle, you fly there, buy it in person, get title, etc and drive it back yourself.

I nearly did buy however from a reputable ebay dealer to ship to me which was really a branded car dealership that regularly sells online. Even then after I calculated the cost of shipping vs. flying/driving back/gas. I would have flown instead mostly because I'll invite friends and it'll become a road trip back.

I got a quote to ship a car from a friend in Ok. to NY.

This was 2012. I am STILL getting quotes to ship the 1997 Grand Marquis ... which has since been destroyed.

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/aos/5160655549.html

Quote:
_______DO YOU NEED A CAR OR TRUCK DRIVEN SOMEWHERE ?? (((ALL OVER) ))

Retired Fire Fighter / Paramedic
61 years of age
Clean Driving record / No criminal Record
Will drive for 12 hrs ....

If you need your vehicle driven cross country , or you have just bought one out of state give me a call. You pay for ALL expenses and my way back home. Gas ,tolls , lodging (if any). I live in NC.
30 years of being a Firefighter I had started my business. It is a mobile mechanic . So I have been working a all types of vehicles for over 30 years . So why are you telling this . It is a win for you . Lets say (which has happened) You fly me to Dallas /Fort Worth to check out a Land Rover which you saw online and you have talked to the customer and you came to a price. He said it was a good running vehicle . You saw the pictures and it really did look fantastic. But do you know they have a problem with the thermostat housing leaking ? So when I got there I checked the coolant and it was full so I cranked and ran it for about 20 minutes and it ran hot. So I had a return ticket for 5 hrs later if the car wasn't repaired . The owner had it repaired and I drove it back . The cost on that repair was way more than the cost of a plane ticket . That is why this is a special type of business.

I would not buy OR sell unseen.

For selling, there are too many scams involving forged Bank drafts casheers cheques etc.

Even if a cheque clears, it might bounce weeks later if it is discovered to be a forgery.

Buying is also too much of a risk.
How much is a cheap airfare to Florida?

If you decide to purchase the car without actually being there in person, use an escrow service for the payment. An escrow service acts as an independent third party to monitor and transact the payment exchange and vehicle.

I have to sell my Mothers 1989 Deville 2 dr. 77K miles/ new engine. Very Good to excellent condition, also in FL
smile.gif
Don't know who to do it. I do have a per title that I "presigned" for any prospective buyers. I say Mo is too far from the car you want.

Last edited:
OP didn't ask for advice whether he should make the buy, he asked how to do it safely. He can probably decide his risk tolerance.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
If you decide to purchase the car without actually being there in person, use an escrow service for the payment. An escrow service acts as an independent third party to monitor and transact the payment exchange and vehicle.

This is your best bet, search vehicle escrow service- lots of them.

Last fall I was thinking about shipping a car from Ca to Az, about 450 miles, got quotes from $300 - $600 dollars. Get a shipping quote, it may be that a plane ticket and an drive home could be cheaper if you can spare the time, and you'd get eyes on the car.

Id go and get it. Fly out with a suitcase of tools and a pocket full of cash and walk if you need to.

The road trip is part of the fun, memory and adventure!

Where in Florida is the car ?

NEVER transfer cash, only cashiers check from bank after they sign over the car title. You need to inspect car before you waste your $$$$

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Id go and get it. Fly out with a suitcase of tools and a pocket full of cash and walk if you need to.

Been there, Done that.

I agree 100%

I've done that twice buying cars in CA and driving them to Seattle. I'd recommend a cashier's check vs. cash though... Also, as a safeguard I got a round-trip ticket vs. one way, just in case (in each case it was only a few $$ more). It's worked out well both times for me.

What I don't understand is people in the rust belt NOT doing this when they buy a used car.

Originally Posted By: JOD

I've done that twice buying cars in CA and driving them to Seattle. I'd recommend a cashier's check vs. cash though... Also, as a safeguard I got a round-trip ticket vs. one way, just in case (in each case it was only a few $$ more). It's worked out well both times for me.

What I don't understand is people in the rust belt NOT doing this when they buy a used car.

To the best of my knowledge-if you intend to drive a car off the dealers lot in California-both taxes and license on said vehicle is due. California doesn't issue "temporary plates" to transport a car out of state. So if you live in a state where you have to pay for title and taxes on a car, regardless of what state it's purchased in, it's not economical to buy a car in California for use elsewhere. You will pay double fees. Now-if you use a shipper for the purchased vehicle in California-you need a certified Bill of Lading showing the car isn't going to hit the pavement after your purchase in California. Then most often, the shipping fees don't make it worth the cost of buying out of state.

It's my understanding many more "exotic" dealers such as BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, etc., are familiar with this process (certified shipping) but a Ford or Chevy dealer might give you a blank look on the shipping procedures for out of state.

As an ex-Southern Californian living in Utah, I have thought of buying a car in California, but upon arriving in Utah I would have to pay license and taxes all over again, if I drove it in to Utah.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: JOD

To the best of my knowledge-if you intend to drive a car off the dealers lot in California-both taxes and license on said vehicle is due. California doesn't issue "temporary plates" to transport a car out of state. So if you live in a state where you have to pay for title and taxes on a car, regardless of what state it's purchased in, it's not economical to buy a car in California for use elsewhere. You will pay double fees. Now-if you use a shipper for the purchased vehicle in California-you need a certified Bill of Lading showing the car isn't going to hit the pavement after your purchase in California. Then most often, the shipping fees don't make it worth the cost of buying out of state.

It's my understanding many more "exotic" dealers such as BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, etc., are familiar with this process (certified shipping) but a Ford or Chevy dealer might give you a blank look on the shipping procedures for out of state.

As an ex-Southern Californian living in Utah, I have thought of buying a car in California, but upon arriving in Utah I would have to pay license and taxes all over again, if I drove it in to Utah.

That's not necessarily correct. You pay taxes in the state in which the car is registered. I got a trip permit from WA state, which allows a certain amount of time (7 days IIRC), and as long as you're headed the correct direction you're allowed passage with the trip permit. That included passage through CA.

I purchased both from a dealer and a private party in CA, and neither time did I register the car in CA.

In WA, if you pay any taxes in CA, they're deducted from your tax bill in WA (WA taxes are even higher on car purchases than CA). Otherwise, you pay taxes in WA when you go to register the car. So, you don't save anything on sales tax by buying out of state--otherwise, every single person in WA would buy their cars in OR where there's no sales tax.

How Utah handles it specifically, I'm not sure--but you don't have to pay double taxes in WA, and I never paid any taxes in CA (and I did not register either car--I used a trip permit for each purchase).

Seems to be some controversy on this-
Quote-
"I own a Kawasaki dealership here in California, am a California licenced motorcycle, car, RV, and boat dealer( doesn't cost much more to get licensed for them all, and it's the same test) and know the DMV guidlines on this quite well, as I sell a lot of bikes to out of state customers. The only way you can avoid paying Caifornia sales tax is if you provide a notarized bill of lading from a licenced shipper, i.e. a shipper picks the vehicle up, and takes it out of state."

Quote 2-
I work for a dealership in CA, you have to pay CA sales tax if you want to drive your vehicle out. But if you truck it, then you don't have to pay the tax, you would pay your tax in the state your reside in. If you finance the purchase, you will have to include the tax rate of your state into the finance (if any applicable.

How you got around this JOD-I don't know. So the question is-Who is the owner of the car when you are driving it to your destination?

Last edited:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Maybe your "trip permit" allowed the dealership to let you drive it out of state? IDK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back