2012 Sonata oil recommendation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Valvoline conventional is one of the best conventionals IMO.

Do you have the 2.4L GDI or the 2.0 Turbo?

If you have the Turbo engine I would run Valvoline Synpower

I have the 2.4L GDI engine. I plan on 7500 OCI.

Being that engine is DI I would still go with Synpower if you are running 7500mi intervals.

VWB for a 5000mi interval.

Conventional oil not recommended for 7500 OCI? I thought the Valvoline dino would hold up.

Being that engine is DI I would still go with Synpower if you are running 7500mi intervals.

VWB for a 5000mi interval.

VWB?

Valvoline White Bottle (VWB)

I'm not going to say it won't go 7500 because in many cases it does and will.

Direct Injected engines dilute the oil, and generally a synthetic will hold up better under fuel dilution. Your GDI engine is a Direct Injected Unit.

I'm sure others here will chime in that own these. I used to service one for a friend and he used Synpower every 6-7k with great results so I feel confident in that recommendation.

Last edited:
2010 Hyundai 2.4L I been using 5w-30 PYB for awhile and OEM filters. 5K OCIs
1st year or so I used PP (& OEM filters) but once the shelf was empty of PP so then PYB it became.
With 2 hour work commute (95% highway) plus any weekend jaunts, the 5K OCIs seem often. Soon I'll have 100k on the clock (warranty done), I'll stick to what I'm doing or maybe back to a Pennzoil synthetic, maybe think of the 7.5k OCIs, but the 5k OCIs make it easy to remember.
I'll be doing a oil/filter change tomorrow. I have just hit 90k on the clock and have to go get oil today. I have today to think about what to do now.

Last edited:
I would do 4,000-5,000 mile oil change intervals if you are going to use conventional. If you're going for 7,500 miles or beyond, I would use a decent synthetic like Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum/Ultra, Valvoline SynPower, Castrol Edge, the list goes on. Today's conventionals are good but I still wouldn't trust them past 5,000.

IMO any SN oil will be good for 4-5k, so what ever your choice, just make sure it's SN and ILSAC GF-5.
that's the motto i've had with my 3.3L sonata

This is a hard one and I think it depends on your specific engine. I own a 13 model and after 15K miles or so there was no fuel smell in the oil at all. I have had it analyzed three times and it can easily the 7500 miles that the book deems as max. I also own a 2012 model and that one is not the same. The oil in that one always smells like fuel and i dont run that nearly as long as the other one. My two good buddies also have 13 and 14 models. One of them had theirs analyzed at 8K miles and the oil looks fine still. I tend to run the 5w30 in them just in case fuel dilution get a little high. My buddy had his 8K run done on PP 5w20.

For my 13 i run PP and run the maximum length the book allows. My 12 i keep the runs to 3-4 K miles and use anything i have. As of now its been PP but will most likely switch it to my stash of shell 5w30.

I have seen lots of reports on these engines with a lot of fuel in them. Just be careful if you are going to go 7-8 K miles on your OCI.

Also ensure that you check your oil often. Lots of buzz right now about these engines blowing up at 60 K miles ect. The main theory is that people are running them out of oil. I have not seen anything concrete on exactly why this is happening.

Hope this helps.

Buddies UOA

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3629942/Re:_2014,_Sonata,_2.4l_GDI,_82#Post3629942

Mine
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3443782/Re:_QSHP_10w30,_2013_Optima_2.#Post3443782

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jstutz
Also ensure that you check your oil often. Lots of buzz right now about these engines blowing up at 60 K miles ect. The main theory is that people are running them out of oil. I have not seen anything concrete on exactly why this is happening.

I've hear this too and have been monitoring the MIL's 13 2.4 Sonata. So far, no oil consumption to speak of. I also recommend she run a full syn oil

The factory suggested normal service OCI should be 7.5k on any API SN oil. Conventional will be fine for this.

Originally Posted By: fscarano
Is Valvoline syn power a true synthetic oil??

Yes, but some will argue. OP - what is your usage like - Highway-City? If you do mostly highway, I think you'd be fine with 7500 on dino SN - just keep it topped off.

Conventional is fine. As others have said already, just check your oil regularly.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Originally Posted By: fscarano
Is Valvoline syn power a true synthetic oil??

Yes, but some will argue. OP - what is your usage like - Highway-City? If you do mostly highway, I think you'd be fine with 7500 on dino SN - just keep it topped off.

Driving, is mostly Highway. I have a 70 mile commute one way. Usually change between 6800-7500 Miles. I've been using what the dealer supplies. When I asked them what (brand) of oil they used. I could not get a answer. They had no clue... Which troubled me..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back