Used minivan opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: redhat
Never been a huge Chrysler/Dodge fan, but IMO they rule the roost in the minivan world.

I've never been a MINIVAN fan, period, but I'd agree that the Caravan/Voyager/T&C owns the market for lowest total-cost-of-ownership again after falling apart in the 90s. Especially true given that Honda and Toyota fell into their own pit of transmission problems during the years you're interested in, and the fact that Toyota saw fit to use a timing belt on a transverse v6, against all their own history. Those two had almost taken the minivan market away, and then they blew it themselves.

If you can find a newer (Pentastar 3.6 powered) Chrysler minivan in your price range, well that's just a whole better universe than any of the others. And given Chrysler minivans' no-longer-deserved low resale values, there's a good chance that you can do just that.

You'll be able to find a $6000-7000 later model used minivan that's not Chrysler, Ford or GM, but the problem is, it's going to have 150K+ miles on it. Minivans typically don't lead easy lives. I know mine don't.

Like said, as much as I like Honda, Toyota, Hyundai, etc.. A Grand Caravan or Town and Country is going to fit your price range better and be every bit as good a van as the non-domestic (talking used, in your price range).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bubbatime

I just checked my area and you can get a 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan with 130K miles for about $7000, or a lower mileage 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan with 70K miles for the same $7000.

LOL. A Mopar with 130k - you'd be better opening the door and lighting your $$ on fire!

I'd stick with the Toyota or Hyundai/Kia units. Especially if you can find a Huyndai/Kia with some of the powertrain warranty left. We had some of the GM units in our company fleet. Uninspiring but seemed to be reliable, especially the Uplander.

Last edited:
I better run out to the garage and let my Mopars know that they are supposed to be giving me tons of problems! They aren't playing by the rules!

Originally Posted By: fisher83
I better run out to the garage and let my Mopars know that they are supposed to be giving me tons of problems! They aren't playing by the rules!

Statistically they are the BOTTOM of the long term dependability ratings from nearly EVERYONE. So if you want to gamble go ahead. There are far better vehicles out there than anything Mopar. That is not up for debate as those that track things put them at or near the bottom.

spend the extra money on a 2012-2014 grand caravan. they are a great value and its a good powertrain.

The only minivan I know parents seem most content with over the long term is Sienna. They all tried Chrysler/Dodge and made a stinging exit with more then usual repairs and garbage resale never to return. I think the best point of Dodge/Chrysler is low acquisition if you have a tolerance for what you get and have good access to repairing.

Toyota
get the 2006/2007
I had it and it has strong engine/tranny,

weak sliding door stuff that breaks,
wind shield prone to crack.
front wheel have toe out wear.
drove it for 120k miles.

Thank you for all the input, all very valid points.

There have been a few comments to the effect of " I'm not a fan of minivans but..." A minivan has never been on my "want" list until we had our 3rd child. After owning the 2013 Explorer and having to hassle with getting kids in the 3rd row, knocking my youngest sons head against the top of the truck trying to get him in his car seat because the doors are small etc. It starts to make sense why family's with 2-3 kids LOVE their minivans! Purely a functionality based decision.

I think my plan of action here is to put all the choices in front of the wife and see what she likes, it will be her vehicle after all. I am slowly working on the "function over looks" mentality with her....

Based off what she likes I will guide her decision based off crash test data, reliability info and value. I have to be logical with her and show her why I am guiding her one way or another and why one vehicle may seem like a good value up front but not so good in the long run. She is a visual person.

She is a diehard GM fan so I have a feeling she'll naturally gravitate towards the Uplander if she can get over it's ugly front end. Next will probably be a Sienna or T/C and last Ford. She already told me she doesn't want a Hyundai or Kia but I'll try and sneak one in just to see if she changes her mind. We did go look at a 2010 Dodge Caravan and she wasn't very impressed, said it felt too cheap... We'll see if that sticks after looking at older vans
smile.gif

Again, thanks for all the info. I'll follow up with any specifics as we look and keep the comments coming, more input is always good!

Last edited:
Also, one more thing. Maintenance records will play a huge part in my decision. I am always appalled to the lack of maintenance records when shopping used vehicles, that's why I generally buy new.

If I can find a van of any brand that has good maintenance records I am way more interested in that than one that is supposedly bullet proof but no records at all.

The way most people treat their vehicles now is pretty sad, I figure at least if they have maintenance records they cared a tad about the vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Huie83
Also, one more thing. Maintenance records will play a huge part in my decision. I am always appalled to the lack of maintenance records when shopping used vehicles, that's why I generally buy new.

If I can find a van of any brand that has good maintenance records I am way more interested in that than one that is supposedly bullet proof but no records at all.

The way most people treat their vehicles now is pretty sad, I figure at least if they have maintenance records they cared a tad about the vehicle.

Usually people will have changed the oil atleast. and if you buy one less than 7-8 years old, 70-80k, its not too overdue on changing coolant, trans/diff fluids etc...
Also some vehicles have crazy long service intervals, my CRV is only now due for a trans fluid change, and I'm pretty sure the drain plug has never been off before as it was stuck well!

Quote:
There have been a few comments to the effect of " I'm not a fan of minivans but..." A minivan has never been on my "want" list until we had our 3rd child. After owning the 2013 Explorer and having to hassle with getting kids in the 3rd row, knocking my youngest sons head against the top of the truck trying to get him in his car seat because the doors are small etc. It starts to make sense why family's with 2-3 kids LOVE their minivans! Purely a functionality based decision.... Unquote

Great point, no one longs to have a minivan but they are the ultimate in family friendly functionality! The power sliding doors on my '14 Caravan are the best...makes loading kids so much easier! Need to haul sheets of plywood, foam board, etc? No problem in a minivan! Rides great and has more interior room than the big SUV's..

Tailgating with friends on Saturdays? Great vehicle to haul your buddies, coolers, grill and tables...

I've had Chrysler minivans as a company car for 18 years...have had probably 6 or 7 in that time? 1 van has needed to visit the shop for repair (something non mechanical with the trans). Granted, most of these saw 40K per year and were replaced at 90 or 100K..mostly highway..but overall very trouble free.

Originally Posted By: itguy08

LOL. A Mopar with 130k - you'd be better opening the door and lighting your $$ on fire!

You know, I rarely take issue with other people on forums, but I've been reading this categorical nonsense from you for a couple of years now and I've finally had enough to quote Red Foreman...

You (or at least your BITOG persona) are a du***ss.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: itguy08

You know, I rarely take issue with other people on forums, but I've been reading this categorical nonsense from you for a couple of years now and I've finally had enough to quote Red Foreman...

You (or at least your BITOG persona) are a du***ss.

01.gif

Good Morning-

The lease on our 2013 Explorer is up in a few months. We had our 3rd child a year ago and decided we'd like the convenience of a minivan as well as dumping a car payment.

I have been looking for a van in the $6-7K range that I can purchase outright. So far I have found the following:

*2002-2006'ish Honda Odyssey with ~150K+ miles. Closer to $6-7K. Not sure due to alleged tranny issues.
*2002-2006'ish Toyota Sienna with ~150K+ miles. Closer to $6-7K
*2004-2007 Ford Freestar, some with sub 80-100K miles, price is more in the 4K range.
*2004-2007 Chevy Uplander (or the variant Buick/Saturn etc) , some with sub 80-100K miles , price in the 3-4K range.
*2005-2007 Hyundai Entourage, around 100K miles, $5-6K

Out of these what is your opinion for a smart buy? I'd like to stay domestic if possible, I like the Ford and Chevy but reliability reviews online are scarce. I left Chrysler off the list, I just can't get over the "old person van" look they have going on. No offence to anyone that has one, just not my style
smile.gif

The Honda of that generation seems iffy. Never have been a huge fan of Toyota but they seem very reliable. I don't know if the difference in mileage and $ is worth it though. The lifecycle of this van for us will probably be in the 3-4 year range. I think once the wife goes back to work she'll want something newer as a daily driver. Right now this will serve the purpose of local kid running around and grocery getter. Maybe the occasional 200 mile trip to the cabin and back.

Somewhat late getting into this but if you are looking used, I think that you would be doing yourself a disservice by not at least looking at a Chrysler product. Used on these is probably the best value because of their resale values.
Even though I know that it is beyond your budget, I think the screaming deal right now is the Dodge Grand Caravan with the value package. There were a bunch of them around the Chicago area for $16,480. That is a lot of vehicle for the money and gives you a new car for probably not a whole lot more when factored out per mile if you buy it and drive the wheels off of it.
As far as the Odyssey, you probably are okay as long as you go 2006 or newer. We had a 2000 that the tranny was getting ready to woof on at 80K. Our 2006 has been fine. I think the Odyssey is the nicest of the group and holds its resale the best, guess that is why we have owned two of them.
The Sienna is comparable to the Honda IMO, but you are talking 10 years old and a boatload of miles to fit that pricepoint.
Have not heard a lot of good things about the Uplander. I know two people who have had them and have had a great deal of issues with them, particularly electrical. One of those is somewhat of a Chevy fanboy and was so impressed with it that he traded it off on a new Pilot. Don't know much about the Hyundai offering and I would stay away from the Ford (transmission issues from what I have heard and I was not impressed with the several I have driven.) This is from someone who generally likes Ford products.
Buying used with that many miles is somewhat of a gamble. You may spend a huge percentage of the savings on repairs and general refurbishment anyway (unless you get lucky and find one pristinely maintained with full records, and then you will probably pay top $ for it anyway.)
I would bite the bullet, take the 7K and put a downstroke on a GC value package and keep it for the long haul. You then have a new car, new tires, new everything, maintained your way, with a warranty.
My .02.

Thank you for all the input, all very valid points.

There have been a few comments to the effect of " I'm not a fan of minivans but..." A minivan has never been on my "want" list until we had our 3rd child.

Understand completely, and we were always able to get by with a sedan or SUV (rear-drive when possible) because we just had one kiddo. Its just part of the trade- for that wide flat floor and captain chairs instead of 3 rows, you have to give up the robustness of rear-drive for a drivetrain constrained to the smallest possible space. Service is more difficult, and I'm convinced that they sacrifice some longevity for packaging size, particularly with respect to the transaxle. But that's the trade-space you have to live within, and honestly they've gotten them a whole, whole lot more reliable across most brands than they were 10, let alone 20, years ago.

My dislike of minivans is really a dislike of FWD- the same reason that if I were in the market for a 1-ton service van, I'd still have a super hard time looking at a front-drive Ram Promaster over a rear drive Ford Transit or a Sprinter, despite the better ergonomics of the Promaster.

Tdbo-

That is a excellent option and one that crossed my mind this past week while looking. While one of my main goals in this endeavor is to come out of it without a car payment, it may not be viable.

I have a hard time buying used vehicles and may never be able to find one that I would feel is worth that hard earned money. Putting $7K down on something newer would really drop the payment down and be a better buy in the long run. We'll see as the hunt progresses.

I bought a 2006 Freestar just two months ago. So far so good, I like the van. Feels solid, and 4.2 engine has enough power.
Had a good healthy appetite though (i.e. the MPG is a little worse than would be for Caravan/Odyssey).

Before that, I tried hard to find an Uplander/Montana SV6 in decent condition; to no avail. I got impression that this particular GM vehicle falls apart pretty fast. Wasn't able to find 5-7 years old in decent condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back