dodge caliber - motor oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2007 Dodge Caliber SXT with 4cyl., 2.0 liter engine that specs 5W-20 oil, which is what I have been using.
Would 0W-20(synthetic) oil be all right to use, as it seems to be a superior oil, at least in cold starts/cold weather?
I am thinking 0W-20 may not have been on the market when this car was new, so no mention of this oil in the owners manual, just 5W-20 being recommended in the book. Any thoughts welcome, thanks.

Originally Posted By: foresthawk
I have a 2007 Dodge Caliber SXT with 4cyl., 2.0 liter engine that specs 5W-20 oil, which is what I have been using.
Would 0W-20(synthetic) oil be all right to use, as it seems to be a superior oil, at least in cold starts/cold weather?

You got it right. Cold starts & weather is the main advantage of using a 0w-20. (I was trying to remember when 0w-20 was introduced, and I looked up that the GF-4 performance spec which was introduced in 2004 included 0w-20.) Chrysler probably just didn't want to tell consumers & dealers they had to use 0w-20 due to it always being a semi-syn or syn, and possibly fears it may shear down out of grade more than a 5w-20.
Actually, with a car that old, I'd switch to Mobil1 0w-30 if I were you (cheap at walmart in 5-quart jugs, the favorite form for a lot of bitog-ers), since it might start sealing the rings better at this point in its life and the slightly more viscous 0w-30 creates a thicker oil film to keep wear down and prevent spun bearings.

Originally Posted By: foresthawk
I am thinking 0W-20 may not have been on the market when this car was new, so no mention of this oil in the owners manual, just 5W-20 being recommended in the book. Any thoughts welcome, thanks.

By definition, 0W/20 meets or exceeds all requirements for a 5W/20......The only thing guaranteed to be different is performance at extremely low temperatures.....Like -35 F. Use with confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back