Quaker State center tube change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up some QS3387A's at Menards since the sale was going on, and noticed the new center tube they're using:

qs60.jpg

Thought you fellow filter junkies might find it amusing.

That's nothing really new. The QS filter is made by Purolator, and they've done that on the QS line for some time now.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
That's nothing really new. The QS filter is made by Purolator, and they've done that on the QS line for some time now.

Shows where I've been I guess. The last round of filter's I bought had the old style tube.

I like this better personally. The center tube retains more of its strength this way instead of punching out holes all the way through the tube.

I've worked with a lot of distillation tower trays that were designed this way both revamping columns with older trays with holes punched all the way through as well as new tower construction.

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
I like this better personally. The center tube retains more of its strength this way instead of punching out holes all the way through the tube.

I've worked with a lot of distillation tower trays that were designed this way both revamping columns with older trays with holes punched all the way through as well as new tower construction.

Are you an HVAC pipe fitter?

Nope. My profile is filled out here though.

I've built & troubleshot lots of equipment making huge volumes of gasoline, diesel fuels, jet fuels, petrochemicals, asphalt, lubricants & process oils, etc. My career was focused on turning crude oil into useful stuff and getting the useful stuff to market.

COD, with all your experience with engines, can you tell me why you choose to run 10W-30 in 0°F (-18°C) weather?

Have you calculated the flow area of these rectangles (2 to a punched area) and compared them to the round tiny little holes previously used?

That looks like the same tube as in a Blue Mountain oil filter, which a bought a bulk of on clearance. I am a little concerned about the size of the slits and how oil would flow through there too. Then I thought the oil has to flow through paper with no access, if it fits through there surely the holes arent too small and they run the length of the filters. I ve had no start up noise or issues with the Blue Mountain filters. I don't run crazy long oil intervals either though.

Last edited:
They're smaller than the holes in the old-style, surely. But there are many more perforations in this tube than the old.

The burr particles should filter out next time around. As long as they are punched through it should work. I like the punched out round holes that look cleaner on the edges. Those seem to vary between makers as to punch quality and number. Plastic tube molded with required strength would be even better IMO.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Plastic tube molded with required strength would be even better IMO.

That's already on the market. It's the Champion Laboratories ecore design. I haven't seen any discussion on anyone finding a failed ecore nylon cage .

http://www.champlabs.com/content/oil-filters

Holes big enough even for crazyoildude's 10W-30 at 0°F case. I just hope the media stands up to those big holes for crazyoildude. Strange he doesn't choose use ecore design filters though.

The main design flaw in ecore center tubes is when the openings in the cage are too large. Some early ecores on the market were reported to have blown the media through the center core openings ... not good.

But if the window/openings are reduced, it shouldn't present an issue with media failures and pieces of media going down into the engine.

I don't see the smaller holes being a problem. We use the Performax filters in our shop, same things as QS and they all have center tubes like this except for the big 49's used on 7.3 Powerstrokes have retained the old style center tubes, no idea why.

Some customers push their oil changes way beyond our recommendations with these filters and none of them have had an issue yet. Those small holes can't be that big of a deal, I live in Montana so if pumping cold oil through them was a problem, we'd know about it! I run the Performax filters on all my stuff and haven't had an issue starting cold.

I posted a qs3980 recently with the louvers and contrary to what some people believe my engine survived sub zero tempatures without oil starvation.

Yep, I actually think the design is better. Should the filter media fail, the small slits will make it a chore for pieces of the media to get sucked through and pumped back into the engine.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
The main design flaw in ecore center tubes is when the openings in the cage are too large. Some early ecores on the market were reported to have blown the media through the center core openings ... not good.

But if the window/openings are reduced, it shouldn't present an issue with media failures and pieces of media going down into the engine.

I have not seen any recent media blowouts on eCore designs old or new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back