Ford may resurrect Ranger & Bronco

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Kruse
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I guess having a Ranger wouldn't be that bad, as long as it had some room inside, they're wayyyy too small inside.

I dunno.
I'm 6'6" and I have no problem driving a '98 no-optioned Ranger with a manual transmission. My leg inseam is 37" and my left knee does not hit the signal stick. The seat is all the way back, however.
Or were you talking about gut room?
Regular cab? No way you could possibly by comfortable in one of those.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Regular cab? No way you could possibly by comfortable in one of those.

I put quite a few miles a week on a 2015 Ford F150 at work. When getting in and out of the vehicle, it is far easier with my '98 Ranger. The new F150 has the feature of the seat leaning back, but I'd much rather be riding in my Ranger. My brother's girlfriend has an extended Ranger (which I haven't been in) and I'm guessing the seat could lean back in that one.
I've ridden in a few vehicles over the years and the Ranger has a lot more room than most of them. I have no problem being comfortable in mine.

If they do bring them back, they won't be the vehicles they were years ago. They'll be modern, redesigned larger versions with all of the safety features required and all of the convenience features demanded in North America. They'll be larger than their predecessors to compete with the current crop of SUVs and pickups, and there won't be a "stripper" version widely available because the reality is that they simply don't sell well. I also doubt that there would be a manual transmission option-the market is simply too limited to make it practical on a high volume vehicle. Since many automatics today get as good or better mileage than their manual counterparts, it makes no sense for Ford to offer manual transmission for the shrinking segment of the population that still wants them.

If they do resurrect the models, they'll be much like the Jeep Cherokee with absolutely nothing in common with the defunct Cherokee other than the name. After all, the Ranger was just a package trim for the full size Ford pickup before it was a separate vehicle.

Originally Posted By: hpb
Ranger is Ford Australia's best seller. I drive one most days at work, a dual cab 4x4 with 3.2 diesel and 6 speed auto.

I'm just over 6ft and there's plenty of room, front or back. Don't know what engine options the US would get, we only have diesels, in 2.2 or 3.2, with either 6sp manual or auto. They're a good thing, powerful and economical, decent off-road capability, haven't seen or heard any reliability issues.

My only complaint is a lot of engine noise inside the cabin, and the auto trans is a bit schizo at times...from what I've read, the upgrade model addresses these issues.

LOL, ignored as usual when stating what it is versus what it could be...no wonder Lucas sells so well.

BTW guys, the Ford Ranger is also a Mazda BT50...it's sold in other places already.

And it's pretty big compared to my D22 Nissan Frontier (Navara here).

My 2k Ranger (reg cab, 4cyl, 5MT) went to 191k nice and easy with only regular maintenance, 1 alternator and 1 fuel injector (oddly enough). Sold it and I hope it's still on the road. I have fond memories of it, plenty of room for a small truck. Key word being "small" which was part of the appeal.

Here's hoping Ford produces a better effort than a Fiesta with a bed.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
LOL, ignored as usual when stating what it is versus what it could be...no wonder Lucas sells so well.

BTW guys, the Ford Ranger is also a Mazda BT50...it's sold in other places already.

Yeah. I thought someone might be interested in what the current Ranger is actually like... Meh
smile.gif

Its all nice to talk about what the global ranger is right now, but the fact is it won't be sold in the US as is for several reasons:

-It is too close in size to the current F150. The north american version will need to be smaller to differentiate itself from the F150.
-It doesn't meet US safety standards at present
-As originally packaged, they also did not meet US emissions standards.

So be miffed there wasn't interest, but recognize there are some reasons why not to look at it as what will be in the North American Market.

As an owner of a Ranger AND a Bronco, I find this very intriguing.
smile.gif
On the other hand, I don't plan on selling/replacing my vehicles any time soon, so I probably won't be buying these new models.

I did the best I could to buy a small, basic pickup and ended up with the mid-sized Frontier. Small trucks in the US are like the Domino's menu, the smallest available is a medium. The Frontier is slightly wider and is taller than I would have liked or it needs to be. The suspension looks just like the 4x4 with the rear axle under the springs. I wanted something the size/height of my '96 or '01 Dakota. The Dakotas at least had different suspension for the 4x4 and 2x4.

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
Its all nice to talk about what the global ranger is right now, but the fact is it won't be sold in the US as is for several reasons:

-It is too close in size to the current F150. The north american version will need to be smaller to differentiate itself from the F150.
-It doesn't meet US safety standards at present
-As originally packaged, they also did not meet US emissions standards.

So be miffed there wasn't interest, but recognize there are some reasons why not to look at it as what will be in the North American Market.

Ford, GM, and Nissan seem to have 5 sizes of SUV, with only the smallest and largest easily distinguishable from the rest. Why not have 3-4 sizes of pickup? With a ladder frame it must be simple engineering to slap on different cabs, boxes, drivetrains, axles?
Nissan already did this in 2005 with the pathfinder, xterra, frontier, titan, and armada all using a similar ladder frame, and mixing and matching motors, transmissions, suspensions, to whatever niche the vehicle was for.

I wish Mahindra had been successful in bringing their diesel pickup over, it would've shown if there was a market for a simple midsize truck and if there was, probably one or two of the big manufacturers would've built some competition.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Ranger is Ford Australia's best seller. I drive one most days at work, a dual cab 4x4 with 3.2 diesel and 6 speed auto.

I'm just over 6ft and there's plenty of room, front or back. Don't know what engine options the US would get, we only have diesels, in 2.2 or 3.2, with either 6sp manual or auto. They're a good thing, powerful and economical, decent off-road capability, haven't seen or heard any reliability issues.

My only complaint is a lot of engine noise inside the cabin, and the auto trans is a bit schizo at times...from what I've read, the upgrade model addresses these issues.

Yes, the Ranger that's currently sold in most of the world shares absolutely nothing except for branding with the former US model. They are going to be at least as different as a 2003 S-10 and a 2015 Colorado, which also share nothing.

People get mixed up because Ford used the name on two totally separate platforms for over a decade simultaneously. Pretty much everyone else gave trucks different names in different markets, and especially if they were built on different platforms. One was a Ford developed platform for the Americas, the other a Mazda platform for everywhere else. Ford/Mazda discontinued the two old platforms in 2011/2012 when the second generation, larger Mazda BT-50 was introduced along with its sibling, the current "T6" Ranger. The US lost the Ranger at that point.

I am glad Ford is considering offering a less than full size pickup in North America again, despite the fact that it will have nothing in common with previous North American Rangers (aside from hopefully being smaller than an F-150). Small trucks will never be like they were 15-20 years ago again, in size or perceived value of the base models. There are upsides and downsides to that, but it's not going to change unless there is a trend towards deregulation of vehicles (not gonna happen). Obviously, owning two of them and having owned others in the past, I like the former North American Rangers a lot, but nothing quite like that will or even can be built again.

I might even consider a T6 based Ranger as a daily driver in the future, though I'd probably view it as more of an appliance than my old Louisville, KY and Twin Cities, MN build Rangers.

To put things in perspective, my North American 1994 Ranger stickered for about $17K USD when new, which would be somewhere around $27K now. It has no air bags, manual windows, manual locks, rear ABS only. Largest engine available, manual trans, manual t-case, manual hubs. It DOES have power lumbar, power side bolsters, adjustable front bolsters, power mirrors, A/C, floor console (like what you'd get in the same year Explorer Eddie Bauer), bucket seats, etc. All factory. Nobody builds anything like that anymore, because frankly it doesn't make a ton of sense, but I think the thing is awesome and it has been very reliable, especially given it has been kicking around for over two decades.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
They call it a ranger, I say it sure looks like a rounded Explorer Sport Trac.

My thoughts precisely.

It's a good looking truck from those pictures, but in my mind, it's no Ranger.

The T6 Ranger we are talking about here is a good 6 inches smaller in width than a F150, 2 or 3 inch lower roof, and the only F150 shorter in length is a Regular Cab/6.5ft bed (How many of those are running around...?)
So, no, its not the same size as a F150. Like was pointed out, they have literally 5 Crossovers/SUVs available (They count the Transit Connect too, but thats a Van to me.)
Escape
Edge
Flex
Explorer
Expedition

An interesting thought... the 3.2 5-cylinder diesel (that is found in the global T6 Ranger / Mazda BT50) is currently being sold in the US in the Ford Transit vans. So it makes sense (to me at least) that this engine would be an option for a possible new Ranger.

Originally Posted By: Blang
An interesting thought... the 3.2 5-cylinder diesel (that is found in the global T6 Ranger / Mazda BT50) is currently being sold in the US in the Ford Transit vans. So it makes sense (to me at least) that this engine would be an option for a possible new Ranger.

This is a good point, especially with the Colorado now offering a diesel. I wonder if Ford's decision might even ultimately hinge on the success/profitability of the Colorado diesel.

As for the Bronco, if that happens, I bet it won't be a conservatively styled 2-door like the 1978-1996 models. It will probably be more FJ Cruiser-like and use styling cues from the original Broncos. Personally, my favorite Broncos have Christmas trees or birds on the seats, but any sort of off-road oriented Ford SUV would be cool to see again though.
grin.gif

eddie_bauer_seats.JPG

eddie_bauer_seat.JPG

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
[/quote]
Yes, the Ranger that's currently sold in most of the world shares absolutely nothing except for branding with the former US model. They are going to be at least as different as a 2003 S-10 and a 2015 Colorado, which also share nothing.

People get mixed up because Ford used the name on two totally separate platforms for over a decade simultaneously. Pretty much everyone else gave trucks different names in different markets, and especially if they were built on different platforms. One was a Ford developed platform for the Americas, the other a Mazda platform for everywhere else. Ford/Mazda discontinued the two old platforms in 2011/2012 when the second generation, larger Mazda BT-50 was introduced along with its sibling, the current "T6" Ranger. The US lost the Ranger at that point.

I'm aware of the US having previously had a different Ranger to the rest of the world, hence I chimed in with some comments regarding the current global model that the US may/may not be getting, as I thought it may be of interest to those who've not experienced it.

And yes, the current Ranger is definitely noticeably smaller than an F150.

Originally Posted By: MNgopher

Cheers, I'm not miffed though, and the reasons you listed as to why it won't be sold in the US are totally valid - except, it's nowhere near as big as an F150. It wasn't me who said it might be coming to the US though, I was just contributing to the discussion and offering some perspective, as someone who drives one most days
smile.gif

I'm aware of the US having previously had a different Ranger to the rest of the world, hence I chimed in with some comments regarding the current global model that the US may/may not be getting, as I thought it may be of interest to those who've not experienced it.

And yes, the current Ranger is definitely noticeably smaller than an F150.

I wasn't saying you were mixed up. A lot of people in the US associate "Ranger" with the version sold here and use that as their reference point. That's why I was replying to Shannow (and I was agreeing with him).

Last edited:
It's all good rangerxl, we are on the same page! The problem with forums is it's difficult to infer "tone" in a post, and sometimes things can be misconstrued.

Originally Posted By: Lapham3
I recall when they announced the closing of the St. Paul Ranger plant they then had a continuous flood of orders that went on and on. I think Canadian orders also added to it and the plant kept going long after it was initially expected to shut down.

Vast majority of those orders towards the end were fleet sale orders. Basically the stripped down XL 2WD trucks. Not a lot or margins in those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back