Double-Wishbone Suspension and Damper/Shocks R/R

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings --

From a theoretical standpoint, on a double-wishbone style front suspension, is it true that you should not need an alignment after replacing the dampers/struts?

Based on the geometry of this suspension, the strut assembly only supports the height of the suspension. Of course, any change in ride height (incorrect reassembly of the spring, or a shorter spring) would affect alignment, but if one is replacing OE with OE, I am under the impression that this should have no effect on the vehicle's alignment.

Is this correct?

Thanks.

I replaced dampers twice on an 89 Accord. Never had to do an alignment afterward.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
if one is replacing OE with OE, I am under the impression that this should have no effect on the vehicle's alignment.

If the shock/damper assembly is not a locating member for the suspension, then it may be replaced without needing an alignment afterwards. A typical example of such a setup is the Honda system used on Accords.

Correct.

I think what makes it hard with struts is it usually pinches into the knuckle. Since it's a locating member, if you don't get it exact (and if you replaced the spring), it's not going to ride at the same height and throw the suspension geometry off.

Isn't it why it is called damper instead of strut? If you change shocks on a rear on atypical family car, you do not have to align it. Think of Honda dampers as rich man's shocks :)

Also how does a damper control ride height? Remember damper controls the speed of up and down movement and NOT the rest position. Ride height is determined by the coil spring.

You had to beat in some kind of single use bolt into the strut and some part of the LCA/steering knuckle, right? If that doesnt have variability and ability to be adjusted, Id say youre OK.

As you mentioned, ride height can change alignment. Another factor not mentioned is that new pressurized gas shocks can increase ride height compared to old shocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back