Timing Cover Oil Leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had my daily-driver, a 2011 Prius, on the lift tonight for a quick oil change and tire rotation. The current mileage is 115k. During the inspection, I discovered that I had a small timing cover oil leak.

Mine is very similar to the one in this post, but to a much smaller level. It is just a seep at this point, but...
http://priuschat.com/threads/timing-cover-oil-leak.152099/page-3#post-2176170

I guess I am a bit disappointed given the mileage and maintenance history. This car has seen only full-synthetic oil for its entire life at 5-8k intervals. The labor time for the repair is 14.2 hours and requires engine removal, so I'll be waiting until the leak becomes substantial before I find the time to fix it myself or pay the dealer $160/hr.
wink.gif

Has anyone else seen this leak?

Ignore and drive on. Oil leaks have no relevance typically on maintenance history don't fret there.

Really unfortunate because the age of vehicle is so young to develop a small leak.

The leak shown in photo which is apparently worst I'd ignore unless oil topping was 1 quart/600 miles or it was annoying enough in my garage floor.

I had a minor leak in a motorcycle case years ago. I ended up duct taping a sponge over the leak and just changing it at every oil change until I got the motivation to split the cases and re-seal it.

Just another idea rather than using oil with additives.

My 2006 Mazda 3 also developed a small seep from the timing chain cover around 120k mile mark and this year I discovered a small seep from the transmission as well. Both leaks are really just stains and nothing drips to the ground. It does bother me, but until they become substantial I learned to live with it.

The engine has had both synthetic and conventional at the beginning, but the last 70k miles was done on conventional only. The transmission has been on synthetic ATF for around 60k miles. Oil type used doesn't seem to make a difference.

I would have to have a pretty substantial leak before I'd shell out $2000 for a repair. Even the link you posted, that is a VERY minor leak. Does the leak even hurt anything, or is it just the principle of it that would cause you to fix it.

That is inconsequential. I would live with that leak all day long.

If you want to see some leaks, come look at my 21 year old Jeep. It does some dripping, seeping, and the drips are always present. I just check the oil and keep her in the range.

BUT are you guys forgetting who are you talking to? Mike will NOT be able to overlook this and it will eat him alive.

If yours isn't even as bad as the one in the link, I wouldn't even call it a leak. Heck, I wouldn't call the one in the link a leak either.

That hardly counts as a leak, and I'm pretty crazy about leaks. Would a shot of Brakleen make it disappear? You would not like owning a 5+ year old VW/Audi or BMW.

These pictures were taken in '09 or '10 of our '04 Audi, which we bought new and serviced better than recommended, using only M1 0w40 for oil. At this point it had between 40 and 50K miles on it. Already, most of the plastic under the hood had crumbled and would disintegrate if you moved anything. This was the second time that the PCV system failed, pressurizing the crankcase. The first time it was warranty, the second time it was over $1K in parts, not including the alternator pulley that failed (plus the plastic dipstick tube that broke while glancing at the alternator), causing me to get under the car and see this mess.

uTua5W3.jpg

EinXzMS.jpg

7Nm72bt.jpg

OwUVOrb.jpg

5IH0iYn.jpg

It never dripped a drop in our garage though...

Today I changed a tire on my grandma's 2012 Jeep Patriot with 50k miles. Was purchased new in March 2012. Timing chain cover leak and oil pan gasket. Doesn't leak on the ground though.

t6feoh.jpg

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
My 2006 Mazda 3 also developed a small seep from the timing chain cover around 120k mile mark and this year I discovered a small seep from the transmission as well. Both leaks are really just stains and nothing drips to the ground. It does bother me, but until they become substantial I learned to live with it.

My wife's 2008 Mazda3 also has a slight seep from the timing cover, on the firewall side. Same as you said about yours, just a stain.

I'd leave it, personally. What's the harm?

Do you guys remember how upset TheCritic was when one of the car that he was working on had an oil leak? I think it was a BMW and was being recommended lots and lots of dollar to fix it. I can just imagine how it must be for him to find his own car having the leak.

Just as well there's no need to do it, unless its getting on the engine mountings, belts or anything else likely to be damaged. Just think of it as automated rust proofing.

(Like the sponge idea)

Last edited:
When I did the switch to PU last year I finally had to fix the timing chain cover leak on my matrix. With dino oil I never saw any oil on the ground, but the PU almost seemed to pour out. I lived with it for 3 months by putting paper towels down every time I got home, but it drove me nuts. 11 hour job and now 7 months later, engine is still clean and dry. That was my first big job done on the car and I was so happy to have it fixed. Probably wouldn't have taken so long, but being the clean freak that I am I spent a couple hours cleaning off all the oil from the engine bay.

I just hope I never have to fix another oil leak on this car. I've replaced so many gaskets and seals including the tranny seals in the last year. I'm hoping to get at least another 100k miles out of the car.

Originally Posted By: Xrs2zz
When I did the switch to PU last year I finally had to fix the timing chain cover leak on my matrix. With dino oil I never saw any oil on the ground, but the PU almost seemed to pour out. I lived with it for 3 months by putting paper towels down every time I got home, but it drove me nuts. 11 hour job and now 7 months later, engine is still clean and dry. That was my first big job done on the car and I was so happy to have it fixed. Probably wouldn't have taken so long, but being the clean freak that I am I spent a couple hours cleaning off all the oil from the engine bay.

I just hope I never have to fix another oil leak on this car. I've replaced so many gaskets and seals including the tranny seals in the last year. I'm hoping to get at least another 100k miles out of the car.

There is truth to the saying that on older vehicles which only used dino not to switch to a synthetic unless you want lots of oil leaks.

In some very big cities, there are shops that repair Toyotas only. Some of those shops have discovered a shortcut that enables them to do the repair for far less money.

Do you know of such a place near where you live?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back