new red line owner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BobFout
Redline has lower ZDDP oils, it's their two Euro oils.

It's not just the Euro oils that have lower ZDDP levels but also their most popular street oils as well such the 5W-20, 5W-30, 5W-40 and the 0W-XX oils. The phos' level used to be in the 1,300 ppm range. Now it's just in the 1,000 -1,100 range. Still higher than most but not what it once was.

I can see the pros and cons of corporate ownership (all products,not just talking about oil co's).

Pros-quality control and consistency
Cons-cheapening of product while raising prices

Every product I've used that started out as an independent co and got bought out by a corporation involved cheapening the formula/recipe and charging more for the product.

red line has not been dumb down!! the ester levels has always been the same. the zinc and phos was dropped abit 1290 zinc 1150's phos.
moly down to 600ppm.from dave himself. boron inc.

Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
red line has not been dumb down!! the ester levels has always been the same. the zinc and phos was dropped abit 1290 zinc 1150's phos.
moly down to 600ppm.from dave himself. boron inc.

Thanks for posting correct information,too many people on this forum spread inaccurate info.

thumbsup2.gif

Yep, been lurking for a while, got tired of BITOG. It was the same old stuff over and over.

I feel the same way at times. It's like ground hog day. Unfortunately we have lost some valued members who got fed up arguing same points over and over.
I recall you used to post a number of VOAs which was always interesting.

Yep, been lurking for a while, got tired of BITOG. It was the same old stuff over and over.

Yup,I agree.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
I got a confirmation today from red line that it is now owned by conoco phillips. dave said this has a lot of positives.

Better distribution, more brick and mortar store availability?? (I HOPE!)

Besides the possibility of a greater choice of base stocks and add packs, of course.
wink.gif

Are you a marketing guy?

Greater choice of base stocks --- translation opportunity to put lower quality junk in the formulation.

NO NOT a "marketing guy", and I have a special kind of hatred for the corporate 'bean counters' who FORCE the engineers to lessen and 'cheap out' their products for a few tenths of a cent profit per unit.
31.gif
mad.gif

I just meant that maybe they could have access to GTL base stocks (eventually) to replace any Group 3 they are currently using, and also to be able to get even more premium PAOs and POEs than they currently use, for a reduced cost.
Also, maybe have access to the tri-nuclear moly formulas at a lower cost.
wink.gif

IF they ever move to using "junk" in either their base stocks, OR their add packs, they WILL lose me as a customer, FOREVER!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back