Rotella T6 in my Volvo 2.5t?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have my first Volvo - of 7 - that's less than 20 years old. She's a 2006 V70 XC(I5 w/turbo) with 109k and I've put 26k of those miles on her since purchasing 6 months ago. M1 full syn since day 1, she consumes about 2 quarts during my 7500mi OCI. No leaks or smoke, just normal consumption. I top her off ever 3k or so with a quart. Rotella T6 5w40 is fully synthetic and much cheaper, and people here seem to love it, but it's marketing is for diesel application. Would it be wise to run it in my Swede, and would it reduce or eliminate consumption? Thanks.

Rotella T6 on Amazon

Last edited:
I see no problem using it.

However, when you compare it to the price of M1 in 5qt jugs at Walmart, Rotella isn't really any cheaper.

What else does it say about that 5w-30? Does it say SM/GF-4 or better? Or, does it call simply for SM, or an either/or situation? Or, is it calling for A1/B1 A5/B5, or A3/B3 A3/B4? Does it list any other permissible viscosities under various conditions? The Amsoil site should that the vehicle also allows a 0w-40 or a 0w-30 under more stressful conditions.

I'd stay with the M1 until consumption worsens.

Then the T6 may be a great option.

You may want to shorten up the OCI in the meantime.

If you're pouring in 2 additional quarts, a full change at 5,000 miles may get the comsumption in line at little additional cost.

I have found consumption is not linear. For me, it happens in the last 30% of the OCI.

You need an A3/ B3 synthetic for that turbo. T6 would work, but it really isn't much cheaper than the alternatives.

Mobil 1 0w40 or Castrol 0w30 or 0w40. Castrol is on rollback at WM FWIW.

Originally Posted By: gr8gatzby
M1 full syn jug at wally world starts at $25

Yes, but that's for a 5 qt (1.25 gal) jug.

Rotella comes in a 4 qt (1 gal) jug.

Any of those thicker options listed would work, among a few others.

dlundblad: Castrol 0w-40 is on a pretty big sale at our Canadian Tire right now. I was able to restrain myself, however. On a general BITOG type person note, my buddy who was with me was asking why I was wasting time in the oil aisle, since, "You never buy oil here anyhow and you know you're not going to now."

We recently began using Castrol 0W-40 in our '03 Volvo V70 2.4 Turbo. Changed from Valvoline 5W-30. I've noticed less valve train noise at idle with 40 oil. I'm guessing the Rotella will be fine. Make sure your PCV system is clear and functioning correctly.

Last edited:
The Castrol/Mobil 0w40's are a great choice. 5w40's, like Rotella, Delo, Mobil,... are great too. Delo and Rotella 5w40 battle for low price at my local walmarts. Use any 0w40 or 5w40 without fear.

Castrol 0w40 at walfart is on sale for $23 for 5 quart jug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back