Jeep Patriot Weird Tire Size

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
Well my grandmother's 2012 Jeep Patriot (4x2) needs some tires, and the choices in it's stock size of 205/70-16 are extremely limited.

It looks like a tire size that has much more options is 215/70-16, only .55" larger.

Are there any other tire sizes I should look for?

Checking tirerack.com for diameters. Should be able to go down in profile while increasing width slightly. Like, maybe 215/65-16 compares to 205/70-16.
Edit: Yes, that works. Comes within 0.1 inches in diameter difference. Many more choices. Check that for other brands, it can vary a little. Compare diameters of any two you'd like in the different sizes.

Last edited:
I'd check out 215/65R16 and 225/65R16. I think 215/65R16 is a fairly common size (and might get you in a different tire category, if you're interested).

Just checked TireRack, looks like they make the RT43 in 205/70R16, what more do you need
smile.gif

You could just recommend her some General Altima RT43's for her since they are the best thing since sliced bread.

If you are looking for all season tires, consider the General Altimax RT 43 that comes in that size. It is very reasonably priced and is getting rave reviews everywhere. Tire Rack has a review test of the tire against 3 others, as well as their customer generated ratings. I believe it is ranked 2nd. among 20 tires in its category.

Also, sticking with the OEM tire size won't require recalibrating the speedometer/odometer and will maintain that "driving on rails" quality of the Patriot.
grin.gif

Good luck! LOL, Skyactive and EdwardC beat me to the punch!

Last edited:
If she were getting new tires we'd be getting the RT43s, but we're looking to pick up a couple decent used tires.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
If she were getting new tires we'd be getting the RT43s, but we're looking to pick up a couple decent used tires.

How are you going to buy just 2 tires but in a different size.. derp!

She can get four new Michelin Defender's in the 215/65/16 size for $484, we are talking under $500.00 freakin' bucks here, get off the wallet!!

2012 Jeep with used tires? Derp.

If money is tight many tire chains have no interest financing on their charge card. I can't believe that someone would own a 2012 car but can't afford to maintain it.

Tirerack will ship 4 general altimax RT43 tires to my door for $365/shipped after mail in rebate. How much cheaper do you need to be?

Are used tires really going to be that much cheaper than new RT43's?

Discount Tire has a $185 rebate on a set of four.

Her husband (my step-grandfather) was the genius who decided to buy this car 3 years ago, no they can't really afford it easily but that's what they're stuck with right now.

Money is very tight for them right now, and my step-grandfather is basically on his death-bed right now in the VA hospital with kidney failure, thyroid cancer, stage 4 lung cancer, and it looks like they might be removing his left leg next week, so I'm trying to help her out.

She's been driving on a donut for 2 weeks including highway.

Anything will be better than that.

Her husband (my step-grandfather) was the genius who decided to buy this car 3 years ago, no they can't really afford it easily but that's what they're stuck with right now.

Money is very tight for them right now, and my step-grandfather is basically on his death-bed right now in the VA hospital with kidney failure, thyroid cancer, stage 4 lung cancer, and it looks like they might be removing his left leg next week, so I'm trying to help her out.

Can you afford to just buy them for her? If this was my grandmother in a similar situation I'd be inclined to go that route, certainly safer than questionable used rubber or the current situation.

Even if you can't realistically afford the Michelin tires I recommended earlier, a set of Fuzion tires are $272 for four, that should be more palatable.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Can you afford to just buy them for her? If this was my grandmother in a similar situation I'd be inclined to go that route, certainly safer than questionable used rubber or the current situation.

Even if you can't realistically afford the Michelin tires I recommended earlier, a set of Fuzion tires are $272 for four, that should be more palatable.
To be honest, I'm probably buying the tires for the car anyways. I'm 20 and a college student on student loans. I'm gonna have to see what I can get. I made this thread to see what tire sizes I can get for it. Thanks though, I'll keep the Fuzions in mind.

She can get four new Michelin Defender's in the 215/65/16 size for $484, we are talking under $500.00 freakin' bucks here, get off the wallet!!

Wanna come and run my life too, from up there in the great white north? A post like that, when the whole story was unknown.

What a stupid post. Why don't you buy 'em?... you just bought a new car. You can obviously afford it.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

Wanna come and run my life too, from up there in the great white north? A post like that, when the whole story was unknown.

What a stupid post. Why don't you buy 'em?... you just bought a new car. You can obviously afford it.

Yet comically, after we further discussed it sounds like he probably WILL be buying her tires. My response, was, like others in the thread, based on the fact that the vehicle was relatively new and usually, if somebody can afford a relatively new vehicle, they can afford tires for it. It wasn't until later in the thread that further details regarding her situation were put forward and I revised my recommendation accordingly.

And no, I certainly wouldn't want to run your life, you are too PO'd most of the time, you'd be an absolute ball of misery to deal with if your posts on here are any example of what you are like in real life.

And, if Nick is honestly unable to make this purchase I'm sure a few of us on BITOG could chip in and help him out, I donate $50.00 to this board every year, I'm certain I could provide at least that much toward helping somebody out in having a safe vehicle when her spouse is dying of cancer. You want to help too or would you rather chirp me and the fact I bought a new car?

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

Hey, Overkill was just trying to help.

I should have provided some more details in the initial post, but I didn't.

And thank you Overkill for your offer, but I'll be able to figure it out. I've never had an issue with used tires as my mom's car (which had terrible alignment and ate tires for breakfast). I'll go to a local tire shop I've used several times and see what they have. Last time I went in there they gave me a BFG Long Trail with like 75% tread for $20, only like 2 years old.

They might have a couple nice ones for a good price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back