Being Highly Responsible in a Me-Me-Me World.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

Not a direct parallel to your story, but one of my aunts got herself in a crazy situation. She spent her retirement savings getting custody of two teens she had helped care for all of their lives (long, bad story). Their biological mother was a violent alcoholic and drug addict who wound up committing suicide. My aunt has done everything in her power to make sure they have no hardship since, and she has paid the price for it. One trashed her house, conned a laptop out of her (she bought it on the premise he would enroll in community college), and was generally totally ungrateful for her totally supporting him. He wound up moving in with his biological father and cutting off contact with my aunt. A good thing for her, though she is unhappy about the outcome even though she got rid of one albatross. The other is now 28 and still highly dependent on my aunt, though at least he isn't bat [censored] crazy like his younger half brother. He can't seem to do anything on his own at all though. He is totally dependent on my aunt to handle things like taxes, insurance, contracts, etc. She just does things for him without making him learn how to handle it on his own, and just says "well, it's his ADHD." Here's the thing about the ADHD...he refuses to take medication for it. On top of that, he was supposed to be paying her rent, but I'm pretty sure he hasn't paid her anything for the better part of a year. She buys all his food and a lot of his gas, while he drinks craft beer and smokes cigarettes all the time. She has even let him use her debit card to buy cigarettes even though she objects to him smoking. He is somewhat employed, but it's a variable situation and he has been through countless jobs, and it doesn't really matter since he doesn't contribute. My aunt has somewhat acknowledged that her way of doing things is not sustainable, but also won't force any kind of change. It's just plain crazy, but the lack of rules and expectations has allowed it to happen.

Isn't everyone today diagnosed with either ADHD or Aspergers Syndrome? Seems like the doctors love to diagnose those two.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: expat
I would imagine your step kids would not take kindly to you.

This would be normal.

Think about it, how would you feel if a 'substitute' parent came into your life (when you were in your teens)

I agree with this 200%. A broken family is hardest on the kids,especially teenaged ones. Father or mother walks out on them (this is how it feels to them),and suddenly here's this stranger telling them what to do. The way they're feeling,"He/she is not my father/mother,they can't tell me what to do!". Broken families can really hurt kids and they'll react to it in different ways.

I'm very thankful that I grew up with both parents at home. However, I seem to be slowly moving into the situation of being the "step dad". I can't apply my experiences in trying to find solutions for problems that kids face today ... and I'm only 27.

Part of your issue is painting/touting yourself as Mr Responsible and them not.

If you were Mr Responsible for things that actually matter like introducing adults to world you would have helped instill those values into them in the best way possible. You choose your wife and her children. Part of that is raising them to function as self sufficient adults.

Paying bills on time, fixing cars and job performance may appear like Mr Responsible to you however you/wife have faltered with these children by your own admission thus far. If you fail to pay bills, drive unmaintained vehicles and have a poor job or performance that you maintain and BUT produce children who are self sufficient and productive you are responsible. If they are at least kind kids you/wife/other parent did a great job.

That being all said I believe you can help guide them with your wife as a team you can get them out in this world and helping a at home. Drastic measures for someone used to the easy life does not work. Just ramp it up slowly.

Best of luck in a very difficult job.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Part of your issue is painting/touting yourself as Mr Responsible and them not.

If you were Mr Responsible for things that actually matter like introducing adults to world you would have helped instill those values into them in the best way possible. You choose your wife and her children. Part of that is raising them to function as self sufficient adults.

Paying bills on time, fixing cars and job performance may appear like Mr Responsible to you however you/wife have faltered with these children by your own admission thus far. If you fail to pay bills, drive unmaintained vehicles and have a poor job or performance that you maintain and BUT produce children who are self sufficient and productive you are responsible. If they are at least kind kids you/wife/other parent did a great job.

That being all said I believe you can help guide them with your wife as a team you can get them out in this world and helping a at home. Drastic measures for someone used to the easy life does not work. Just ramp it up slowly.

Best of luck in a very difficult job.

Hey thanks.
smile.gif

We actually do a good job parenting; it's just they want to be on their devices so much, it's hindering helping us with chores. Then when it's comes time to help a guy out, it's easy for them to decline or not say a word and go right back on them. Kicked back, easy-going, stress free. While my Wife & I bust our butt.

Adults tend to not step up as well & wait for another person to do the work. I am not like that; something needs to get done, it gets done. No disagreement, no saying "No", no complaining. It gets done. Not a lot of people like that sadly...

My dad would always say "Let them crash and burn".

Tough Love is what many teens need today, also a swift kick on their butt to open up their eyes.

Either Socrates, Plato or Aristotle said, "The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers." So, what else is new?

Originally Posted By: AlienBug
As I have written before. Every generation thinks the next generation is going to be the Downfall of Humanity. Your parents thought your generation were lazy and worthless, and the Silent Generation thought the WWII generation were useless too.

However, IF the Millennials are a worthless lot (which I do not agree with) then it is the fault of those who raised them.

Pretty much this. In my company we've hired plenty of people out of school and I've met extremely motivated, professional and intelligent people and also the other spectrum. There's always been losers and winners in society. Life moves on. My biggest beef is that too many managers/bosses let the slackers get away with subpar work and don't reward the hard workers enough who have to pick up the slack for the slackers. Sadly this seems to be too common. Many companies just look at employees as "bodies" or units.

I've seen slackers remain in employment while the ones who deserved higher pay and asked for it were told to hit the bricks...so they left the company for greener pastures. This seems to demotivate the hard workers and they learn that the harder they work the more they'll be rewarded with more work. I've seen it way too often. Then companies complain that they can't hold onto workers and there is no worker "loyalty."

Bosses seem to think that hiring two slackers for X salary is better than keeping an excellent worker who does double the work of a slacker yet wants a 1.25X salary.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Turk
Originally Posted By: expat
I would imagine your step kids would not take kindly to you.

This would be normal.

Think about it, how would you feel if a 'substitute' parent came into your life (when you were in your teens)

I agree with this 200%. A broken family is hardest on the kids,especially teenaged ones. Father or mother walks out on them (this is how it feels to them),and suddenly here's this stranger telling them what to do. The way they're feeling,"He/she is not my father/mother,they can't tell me what to do!". Broken families can really hurt kids and they'll react to it in different ways.

Right! My wife was single for 10 years before we got married.

The kids like me, don't anyone get that wrong! And in reading above, it's not what others are saying, it's that I've been TOO EASY GOING & not setting standards, NOT expecting too much...

This one time I ask for help in 5 years is not expecting too much & have too high of standards!
smile.gif

I'd rather not just concentrate on "kids now-a-days", it's with very many adults too. Very few adults "step-up-to-the-plate" anymore and get involved or fulfill their responsibilities.

I just had to cancel a Fishing Trip because an adult did not fulfill their responsibility. Having my chest sawed open a few months ago, I probably should not have been exerting myself way too much with lifting many heavy things, but this HAD to get done & there was no choice. So, here comes Mr. Responsible to cancel all plans and do it.

That is the issue...

What happened that made you have to cancel your trip? I hate to hear that :^( It'd be really therapeutic for you to take a really awesome trip doing something you like
smile.gif
Especially since you just had your surgery,I think it'd be really good for you. I wish there was some way you could still go.

What happened that made you have to cancel your trip? I hate to hear that :^( It'd be really therapeutic for you to take a really awesome trip doing something you like
smile.gif
Especially since you just had your surgery,I think it'd be really good for you. I wish there was some way you could still go.

Someone was suppose to clean out a County Fair booth & never did. A LOT of stuff, Helium Tank, etc. I took care of it, a lot of work, but it's ok.

I went Fishing today. One of my catches (a tasty Walleye...)

2je1qfm.jpg

I'm HIGHLY responsible and accountable and it's driving my crazy!!

There's some guys sitting in prison right now that are wishing they took the same right turn you did.

Mille Lacs is officially jealous...

smile.gif

Someone was suppose to clean out a County Fair booth & never did. A LOT of stuff, Helium Tank, etc. I took care of it, a lot of work, but it's ok.

I went Fishing today. One of my catches (a tasty Walleye...)

2je1qfm.jpg

Maybe the OP can't say what he really wants to tell his stepkids.... it will cause friction with the wife ?

I've seen it happen where a guy keeps his mouth shut cause wife will side with her children and over look things her kids are doing (or not doing).

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Maybe the OP can't say what he really wants to tell his stepkids.... it will cause friction with the wife ?

I've seen it happen where a guy keeps his mouth shut cause wife will side with her children and over look things her kids are doing (or not doing).

Nope. She tells me to have them help. We fully agree!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back