HID After Market

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
IMO there are few things that are more inappropriate than the person running ridiculously bright blue headlights in any car. They blind oncoming drivers and are no better for vision than regular high energy bulbs in proper housings.
I can say with some authority that those lights "bring smoke" (as we used to say) from many LEOS. In other places, they don't much care.

Well Im going to order

Philips 9006XVS2 X-Treme Vision Headlight Bulb, (Pack of 2)

and remove all that HID [censored].

Now and then I get people who flash the brights at me or flip me off....

I never knew why b/c I bought the car with the HID already in and never really knew much about HID till I got job at the auto parts store and people would come in and want HID

and unless we had HID Factory that were 99% per bulb and were DSR2 or somoe number like that then we had to tell them they had to buy them online...

When I first realized mine didnt have facotry lights then I started this post.

thats for all in your info.

soon as 1 bulb goes out im going to swap it back.

The Phillips bulbs are a good choice. I would suggest that you put them in immediately. If you do any night driving you will enjoy the better light pattern. You will possibly need to re aim your lights if the previous owner moved them, which is extremely likely since the beam pattern is erratic and he would have wanted to try to make it better.

A good body shop might have an optical aiming machine but I'm guessing you don't want to pay for it, but if you have one locally call for pricing.

Here is the DIY approach which isn't as good but better than nothing
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/a257/1347221/

Just look at the picture of the burnt car and ask yourself if it's worth it to keep the hid in a minute longer.

I don't use cheap HIDs in the low beam lamps. But do in the fog and hi beams with the necessary rewiring and height adjustments.

The fear mongering of them burning up your car is just from incompetent electrical work and not the kits.

Hi all, I recently ordered a HID kit from eBay sold under " OPT7 " brand for a 08 Highlander, I chose a 35W standard-ballast 5000K because I was looking for a clear white color, but the light color is VERY blue, and yes, the clarity during night driving have been improved, but it looks very 8000k for me. I found a video on youtube of man who had the same result with the OPT7 35W 5000K kit. I have a 6000K kit from another brand on another vehicle and it look whiter than the "5000K" OPT7

Have you ever ordered a kit form that brand?

Here's a color chart. My OEM HIDs are 4300k and that is what I get for the AM ones. They have a slight blue tint but nothing like the +5000k ones. The bluer they get the worst they are on wet roads.

colortemp.jpg

Here's a pic of my 35w OEM 4300k HIDs with 55w 4300k aftermarket cheap HIDs in the hi beams and fogs.

hi-lo-and-fog-2.jpg

And here is a pic of just the 35w cheap aftermarket 4300k fog lights in my other car.

fogs-only.jpg

If you're Accord is 08+ I believe the bulb size is 9006. Go pick up a pair of Sylvania Xtravision and be done with it(If you don't mind yellow light). PIAA XtremeWhite if you want a super white light.

From the pics it looks like the previous owner just did plug and play. Just remove the HID kit and plug the OE socket(one that is on the car) to the new bulb directly.

Originally Posted By: car12
Hi all, I recently ordered a HID kit from eBay sold under " OPT7 " brand for a 08 Highlander, I chose a 35W standard-ballast 5000K because I was looking for a clear white color, but the light color is VERY blue, and yes, the clarity during night driving have been improved, but it looks very 8000k for me. I found a video on youtube of man who had the same result with the OPT7 35W 5000K kit. I have a 6000K kit from another brand on another vehicle and it look whiter than the "5000K" OPT7

Have you ever ordered a kit form that brand?

Never tried OPT7 before but I currently have an Apex kit. No issues.

Most likely they sent you the wrong bulbs. Happens quite often. 5000k should be pure white. I ordered 6000k cause I wanted that slight blue tint, but it looks more like 5000k on my car. I'll post pics once I get it out of the garage.

I bought this one from Amazon about 6 months ago, and have had it installed in my 2010 Fusion since April. Works great, no issues. Since my car already had projectors in it, but with Halogen H11 bulbs, the results have been quite nice.

Innovited 35W H11 HID kit

I will say that I was quite careful to test the alignment, etc.. to make sure that I wasn't throwing light everywhere, etc..

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
I bought this one from Amazon about 6 months ago, and have had it installed in my 2010 Fusion since April. Works great, no issues. Since my car already had projectors in it, but with Halogen H11 bulbs, the results have been quite nice.

Innovited 35W H11 HID kit

I will say that I was quite careful to test the alignment, etc.. to make sure that I wasn't throwing light everywhere, etc..

See here why this is a bad idea,which doesn't even factor in the poor quality of the kit compared to oem stuff.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

Originally Posted By: Joshua_Skinner
Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Ha there's a lot to be said for cheap kits in certain places.

Says the person preying on the ignorant.

Me preying on the ignorant??? How's that

You sell cheap, dangerous junk to those ignorant of the dangers inherent to the product. There is no place for cheap kits. They are too costly in terms of road safety.

You sell cheap, dangerous junk to those ignorant of the dangers inherent to the product. There is no place for cheap kits. They are too costly in terms of road safety.
That's true of any part. But cheap does not necessarily mean dangerous or junk. I'm going on 5 years with my cheap junk. Works great. Car hasn't burned down or anything. What's the road safety problem, other than using them in place of low beam incandescent?

You just took the #1 safety problem, drop-ins in place of low beams, off the table. That's how this [censored] is being used and why it causes so many problems. The mentality of the poseur crowd that deals in and consumes this stuff is sub-par.

You just took the #1 safety problem, drop-ins in place of low beams, off the table. That's how this [censored] is being used and why it causes so many problems. The mentality of the poseur crowd that deals in and consumes this stuff is sub-par.
So the problem isn't really the cheap junk as the wrong application then?

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Hid bulbs put into halogen projectors are very bad. Hid bulbs do not have the same lighting characteristics as halogen bulbs. The projectors are different and must be made to match. Your probably blinding everyone with scattered light.

This forum is very helpful.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?393807-H11-projector-bulbs-35w-HID-vs-LED

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?380558-What-s-wrong-with-projector-retrofits

Here is some relevant lighting threads. The first one of is relevant to bulb differences and the second thread is about the facts of swapping in hid projectors. Both have good information for anyone who is new to this stuff.

SHOZ, all relevant information is in these two threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back