Family Budget Calculator

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am 8K ahead....
laugh.gif

Interesting, but I cant imagine why anyone would be satisfied with a "secure yet modest standard of living" if they have the capability to do better. Because that term is nondescript, I have to wonder who is deciding what is good enough for the unwashed masses, while they are paying themselves a good sum more to create such websites.

Reminds me of truecar, which is really working for the dealers, and is telling you what is a "good" price. Good for whom?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Interesting, but I cant imagine why anyone would be satisfied with a "secure yet modest standard of living" if they have the capability to do better. Because that term is nondescript, I have to wonder who is deciding what is good enough for the unwashed masses, while they are paying themselves a good sum more to create such websites.

Reminds me of truecar, which is really working for the dealers, and is telling you what is a "good" price. Good for whom?

Pop_Rivit, is that you? That site just gives an arbitrary reference point. Too bad if it doesn't meet your criteria for being useful, but you are free to ignore or to dismiss it. Maybe the figures are way off, but I think I could get by with just under 5k per month as the budget calculator indicates. So it does give me an indication as to how much more or less costly other locations are.

If anyone is interested in budgets I would really recommend YNAB, and following their philosophy.

A "secure yet modest standard of living" would be an upgrade for 80-90% of the people in the US. Fighting for a couple more bucks so you can buy some more Chinese trinkets doesn't lead to any more happiness.

Interestingly enough the calculator is about nearly dead on for my current household budget for the expenses shown maybe just slightly low.

$8k/month shown.

My area too.. says 550$/mo

I guess its possible but not average.

Maybe they are averaging what all the welfare people pay with what working people pay.. that would make sense.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BRZED

Pop_Rivit, is that you? That site just gives an arbitrary reference point. Too bad if it doesn't meet your criteria for being useful, but you are free to ignore or to dismiss it. Maybe the figures are way off, but I think I could get by with just under 5k per month as the budget calculator indicates. So it does give me an indication as to how much more or less costly other locations are.

What, a contrary viewpoint is unacceptable? Youre right, it gives an arbitrary reference. That's my point - its arbitrary and Im not sure of the frame of reference or what's to say that it is "good".

Without that frame of reference, its fairly useless. Heck, even the hokey CPI has a basket of goods or whatever they call it, to reference against.

What, a contrary viewpoint is unacceptable? Youre right, it gives an arbitrary reference. That's my point - its arbitrary and Im not sure of the frame of reference or what's to say that it is "good".

Without that frame of reference, its fairly useless. Heck, even the hokey CPI has a basket of goods or whatever they call it, to reference against.

I didn't say it was unacceptable. Even if the figures are off, I would hope they are consistently off to each other and thus one can still get an idea when comparing cost of living in different areas. They overestimated my cost of living by about 20%, or maybe I'm just frugal. That still gives me an idea whether other areas are more or less costly proportionally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back