Brake/Rotor recommendation - 94 Pontiac Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need some help choosing a new brake and rotor set for my 1994 Pontiac Grand Prix, 3.1L V6, 4dr sedan. I've looked on RockAuto and can get drilled rotors with ceramic brakes for about $140 shipped (Power Stop - model # K1498 Power Stop rotor/brake kit ) . Is this going overboard for this daily driver, or a good choice?

Any feedback is appreciated.

I've had them (Power Stop) on my Miata for around 30K and love them so far. My reason for looking into the drilled and slotted was because the plain rotors on that car would dwell for about a second in the wet before hooking up....these really did fix that. They have a very slight vibration when firmly braking but, I understand why and it doesn't bother me at all.

I recently put them on the front of my Tacoma (drum rears) and again, I'm quite pleased. Only about 4k on these.

One benefit is they're coated and I haven't seen a sign of rust on them yet....look nice!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
I have those on my CR-V, they are not quiet. If silence is what you want, look elsewhere. They stop fine, however.

When you say they are "not quiet", do they squeak, grind, etc.?

Originally Posted By: Galantboy
Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
I have those on my CR-V, they are not quiet. If silence is what you want, look elsewhere. They stop fine, however.

When you say they are "not quiet", do they squeak, grind, etc.?

For what it's worth, nothing but silence from mine.

Can't speak for how they do after some wear but I have about 500 miles on my truck brakes; Wagner TQ with Frontline rotors from AAP. So far they are GREAT!

The front line rotors are good but they don't make them for as many models.

If I was buying Rockauto I'd get the Raybestos advanced hybrid tech pads and the top ac delco rotors

Akebono pads, VGX Platinum rotors

The Wagner Thermoquiet is also a good pad, and the Centric Premium rotors are also popular due to the black coating that deters rust.

Thank you for all the replies and suggestions.
smile.gif

I think after doing some research I'm going to go with AC Delco rotors. Being that this is an older car, daily driver, average less than 10k per year. Should I go with the AC Delco Advantage or Professional line? Its about $10-$15 per each rotor. I'm still trying to decide on pads... so many choices.

Advantage is a cheap low-grade aftermarket line. Professional is mid-grade aftermarket. And then you have the GM Original equipment, which is of course the OEM part.

The Professional rotors seem to be coated, which helps deter the rust. Therefore, my choice would be the professional line.

Keep in mind that almost all rotors are Chinese. The only exceptions I know of are DBA, Fremax/VGX Platinum, EBC, and some OEM's. The Fremax rotors are cheap enough, but all the others are hideously expensive.

Originally Posted By: Galantboy
I think after doing some research I'm going to go with AC Delco rotors. Being that this is an older car, daily driver, average less than 10k per year. Should I go with the AC Delco Advantage or Professional line? Its about $10-$15 per each rotor. I'm still trying to decide on pads... so many choices.

Ask about the runout guarantee for each quality level. Usually it's .004 to .005 for the cheaper line and .001-.003 for the Premium, or thereabouts. Then confirm it on vehicle and return it if eccentric.

See: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3722378/3

Looking at Rockauto, I don't see a runout guarantee, but the Professional line is made of Noise Dampening Iron, besides the coating already mentioned.

EDIT: If you're really into it, here's a paper on what makes different irons more or less noise dampening: http://www.petersonsteel.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Reducing-Gear-Noise.pdf

Last edited:
Go to an auto parts store and ask to look at some of their pads, probably the top gold or higher line and check the pads for friction rating. Anything FF or higher will be fine.

I use The CARQUEST/Wearever Platinum ceramics on my Buick they are FF and feel plenty strong.

Don't use anything lower than FF,which is what all of the parts stores economy and silver lines usually are.

1-.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back