Best Scenic-Fun-Awesome Roads, Bridges, Tunnels

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the best drive? Scenic, fun, awesome, etc.
I just found out about the Denmark-Sweden ocean bridge, and it has got to rank as one you might want to just go back and forth on all day long, or at sunset at least! (It also made me think, man, we could afford one or two things like that if only we didn't have to defend Europe-Middle East-Asia with a $600 billion per year military budget.)
fnIUGf5.jpg

It dives into a tunnel at one point. Very cool. Drive it slow, then do it fast again.
9PXvGxg.jpg

Last edited:
Long bridges to me are typically boring as you don't really see much. Just saying my experience travelling in Atlantic provinces in Canada.

Is that Oresund bridge?

If you haven't seen Bridge/Broen TV series, I highly recommend it. Its action starts on that bridge.

Planning to drive on the Mackinac Bridge in northern Michigan next month. Apparently it's nice, too.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Is that Oresund bridge?

If you haven't seen Bridge/Broen TV series, I highly recommend it. Its action starts on that bridge.

Planning to drive on the Mackinac Bridge in northern Michigan next month. Apparently it's nice, too.

The Big Mac is a beaut! Been over and back many times.

The Royal Gorge Bridge near Cañon City in Colorado is great. Still the highest bridge in the US and one of the highest bridges in the world, walking or driving over its narrow deck is quite an experience. People also bungee off that suspension bridge all the time. You are almost 1,000 feet above the Arkansas River. The Bridge was prominently featured in the not very good 1991 action comedy Fast Getaway. Remember, the more narrow and higher the bridge, the bigger the wobbly thrill.

If it had (or has) a walkway (like the GGB) it would be awesome to walk/jog/run across!

Going To The Sun road in Glacier National Park,
Skyline Drive,
and
I-19 Bridge in West Virginia...

all pretty...

Thanks for the great posts all! Another drive is in Florida, the 7 Mile Bridge we know from the Schwarzenegger movie "True Lies" (see True Lies' AV-8B Harrier dodging a sam missile):
lies2.jpg

lies5.jpg

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
Thanks for the great posts all! Another drive is in Florida, the 7 Mile Bridge we know from the Schwarzenegger movie "True Lies" (see True Lies' AV-8B Harrier dodging a sam missile):
lies2.jpg

lies5.jpg

I drove over that bridge during a tropical storm. Had to stop repeatedly and wait for wind and rain to weaken. It was rather unsettling.

I'd maybe add Pacific Coast Highway, and I-70 crossing Colorado Rockies. Oceans and mountains hard to beat. Also, Golden Gate bridge and Lake Pontchartrain Causeway (24 miles).

Holy cow BRZED !! That had to have been very spooky. Wow.. I live near the Chesapeake bay bridge tunnel and I couldn't imagine drivind across that in a tropical storm. I think if the winds get over either 55 or 60 mph they shut it down.

Well said Exmachina
smile.gif

I would really like to drive interstate 70 across the Rockies. I memorized the ENTIRE US interstate system by the time I was 8 yrs old. One of the places I have always wanted to go was Interstate 70 across the Rockies and Interstate 80 from Sacramento east up to Truckee. 25 ft elevation up to 8000 in that stretch.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Well said Exmachina
smile.gif

I would really like to drive interstate 70 across the Rockies. I memorized the ENTIRE US interstate system by the time I was 8 yrs old. One of the places I have always wanted to go was Interstate 70 across the Rockies and Interstate 80 from Sacramento east up to Truckee. 25 ft elevation up to 8000 in that stretch.

I-70 Rockies is a lot of fun. Very high, best time is June-July-August, stop in Vail along the way, Glenwood Springs, several others. Truckers hate that route, creeping along uphill and burning brakes down the slopes.

You know what ExMachina?? When I was a kid I wondered why Interstate 70 was not completed as it headed towards Glenwood Springs... It was unfinished from when I picked up my first road atlas in 1980 all the way until 1990 I think.. Maybe even a bit later. I found that very curious. Well I saw a show that went into the construction of that stretch of the interstate. RTE 6 was already there in the Colorado river valley. Well they didn't want to mess with the river anymore than necessary for environmental reasons. So they had to build it on a elevated bridge most all the way through that section. Thus it took A LONG time to complete that last stretch of the interstate. When I saw that show.... I had my long wondered question answered
smile.gif
that has to be an awesome section to drive too.

bbhero, you're talking about the piece through Glenwood Canyon completed in 1992. It is elevated above a lot of rough terrain, very smooth up there. Lots of high mountain passes and tunnels (+11,000 feet at Loveland Pass and the Eisenhower Tunnel).
Glenwood_Canyon_I-70.JPG

Yeppers! Winner winner chix dinner
smile.gif

Yeah I didn't know why as a kid why it took so long. I remember getting my 1987 Rand Mc nally atlas and it still wasn't done. I was thinking.... It's been 7 yrs what's the hold up ?? Well I can see why
smile.gif

Ohh and interstate 64 that ended at Rte 60 in west Virginia was strange to me.. Then in 1989 it was completed from there to Beckley West Va. Cosses the new river gorge which is very pretty too. Ohh some interesting trvia?? What interstates are located in both the east AND west with no connection between the two locations??
smile.gif

Interstate 76, Interstate 84, and Interstate 86. 76 goes from philly to Akron Ohio.. Ends there but magically shows up at Interstate 80 in far west Nebraska and goes to Denver. Interstate 84 goes from Interstate 90 in Massachusetts to the Scranton Wilkes Barre area. Then magically reappears in Salt Lake city and goes west to Portland Oregon. Interstate 86 goes west from southeast NY state to Interstate 90 just east of Eerie Pa. Shows up again in Idaho of all places and connects Interstate 15 to Interstate 84
smile.gif

Never understood this irregularity with the interstate system. Still don't. Weird.

I can go anywhere without cracking a map or using an app. And while on vacation in Asheville NC my lady's phone all was wrong about which way to go to a restaurant in the downtown area. I was right. I have my grandfather's sense of direction too. Unlike my mom. God bless her but she could lost in a cardboard box with both ends open I tell ya
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back