Silverado converter vacuum to hydroboost brakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
GM truck most all of the 1500's have vacuum boosted brakes. They are barely enough to stop a regular cab silverado. Most all of these truck have a squishy brake pedal. So I wanted to use the much stronger hydroboost found on 2500 and up gm trucks.

I found this how to guide perfect. http://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/...ow-pics-441147/

Gotta give credit where it's due.

I wanted my stock pedal, a little adjustability and would prefer to not drill my firewall.
I had this bracket made, welded it to the front and had an adjustable rod made. Here it is.
2u7snew.jpg

I then bolted it up to my stock master and ran new lines to my power steering pump.

absolutely no more squishy brakes. Next all stainless lines. New england salt got mine a tad crusty and bigger front rotor caliper options.
8xphy0.jpg

That's awesome!.... i have thought about doing that to my jeep, however I disagree. My silvarado stops just fine. Maybe my short cab small box 4x is smaller?, lighter?

Nice swap!

All of the vacuum boost GMT800s at work have weak/squishy brakes, but I figured it was because of having 200-500K miles.

Looks good. I have a pretty good size cam in the Trans Am but with the large brakes and light weight I didn't have to do anything extra.

Hydroboost is awesome as long as your PS pump can handle the extra demand which the GM one should as it should be the same as the 2500 unit except for the bypass valve on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back