Calcium Based Detergents in Gas or Gas Treatments?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There has already been discussion on this board about calcium based detergents possibly causing autoignition problems in DIT engines.
http://papers.sae.org/2014-32-0092/
After reading some of the discussion about detergent levels in gas (particularly the threads touching upon Top Tier), I started to wonder if any of those detergents might also be calcium based...and if fuel injector cleaners might also be a concern.
Googling around seems to indicate that gasoline detergents do not tend to be calcium based, but I figured there's probably somebody on here who knows for sure.

All additives used in fuel for highway use must be registered with the EPA. The info on calcium if used must be there, somewhere. It might take some digging but I think all components of an additive must be listed as well.

I've only looked at the MSDS for 6 or 7 fuel adds, mostly petrol but maybe 2 or 3 diesel and I didn't see calcium in any of them. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist but I've not seen it in my small sample..

Any additive that contains a true metal or derivative thereof can leave ash deposits.

Ash deposits form upon combustion and usually consist of metal-hydrocarbon and/or organo-metallic compounds.

In a fuel additive, you want purely organic cleaners such as PEA with solvents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back