Help please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes it was running slow even in safe mode, due to too many processes using CPU. When I boot the computer it starts with about 40 processes. Without doing anything, processes start getting added and use more and more of the processor, soon I have 80 processes running and about 8 of them use up 100% of the CPU.

Interesting you mention heat as an issue. I recently had to lube a fan that was screeching (I have to do it about once a year with that particular fan), and I used a different lube to try to make it last longer, I'll have to check to make sure it is spinning.

Last edited:
still wondering why you havent tried the eset scan.. it finds alot of junk malware bytes misses.

Originally Posted By: another Todd
Malware bytes is finished and removed 977 items. We shall see if that helps or not. The computer rebooted and it will take a while to determine the effect.

I'm puzzled why you ask for advice, then don't follow it. Though free to do as you wish, the consequences are 100% yours as well. Any system, with that number of hits from MB, even if "removed" is seriously and severely compromised and corrupted. It needs to be wiped clean and reinitialized..from scratch, either by you or someone else.

Geez guys, I can only do one thing at a time, and as slow as this thing was running each thing I tried took forever. I didn't mean to upset anyone and I value all your advice, because everything was taking forever I wanted to try the easier things first. Sleddriver, you indicated your procedure would take "a Saturday" to complete, on this slow thing it might have taken several days. Now that it's running good, I'll try it.

Anybody who offered a suggestion, thank you, if you send me a PM with your address I'll send you a $10 Starbucks card, or just $10 if you prefer. I really do appreciate your help.

Now then, malware bytes has taken care of the issue, and it's running good. I will still run the other programs suggested as it can't hurt (I hope). Thanks again.

Perhaps I came across as too blunt and thus harsh? Sorry. I recently encountered a situation on a friends DT very similar to yours, which was infected with multiple shop-bots running .exe's. In addition her's was running so slow, as yours, that I had to use Process Explorer to kill anything not system related first.

There's no use running anything else until you get it under control.

As noted, I didn't write that procedure. T-stat did. And he was wise to include multiple programs. It didn't take me a Saturday to do it. I'd of killed off McAffee first.

You don't owe me anything, but thanks for the offer.

I would advise backing up your files (not the OS) NOW if you haven't done so. Very important. THEN restart in SAFE mode and run the others in the order listed, save for MB.

An excellent site for maintainence and how to's is Tweak Hound. Good luck.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en

Anyone that hasn't updated their antivirus in 14 months is asking for a virus. Gotta' keep your Windows updated and your antivirus updated. Leave both on automatic updates.

Or, set a reminder to let you know updates are available for install, or just manually check every 2 weeks or so, if you shut your system down when not being used. My computers are always shut off when not being used so auto update doesn't work for me. I actually check myself every 2 weeks and install if any are available.

Good suggestion though overall. Update update update!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: another Todd
Geez guys, I can only do one thing at a time, and as slow as this thing was running each thing I tried took forever. I didn't mean to upset anyone and I value all your advice, because everything was taking forever I wanted to try the easier things first. Sleddriver, you indicated your procedure would take "a Saturday" to complete, on this slow thing it might have taken several days. Now that it's running good, I'll try it.

Anybody who offered a suggestion, thank you, if you send me a PM with your address I'll send you a $10 Starbucks card, or just $10 if you prefer. I really do appreciate your help.

Now then, malware bytes has taken care of the issue, and it's running good. I will still run the other programs suggested as it can't hurt (I hope). Thanks again.

Ignore those jumping on you. That has become the culture on this site lately. Very unfriendly here at times.

Glad MB helped. It usually finds things other programs don't. Keep it installed and run it now and then as preventative maintenance.

Keep your AV up to date or even consider swapping to a different AV than McAfee. I am not a big fan of them. I used to be but they let too much get past these days. I use Norton and I haven't had a virus in years.

As another poster mentioned, take this time now that the system is working properly to back up everything. From your e-mail address book to files you don't want to lose. Do it on a USB thumb drive or some other external device. That way if this is only short lived you have your important info. If the problem does come back the next step is to wipe the hard drive and do a clean reinstallation of your OS.

If I were you at this point I would do the following to finish up the job...

1 - Open Control Panel and go to your Add-Remove Programs feature and look through the list and see if you see any that you didn't install? If you don't recognize what they are look at the date they were added. Things that were added a long time ago are ok to leave usually. Look for anything recent that coincides with your recent issues. Also look for things that may have been added without your knowledge when installing other software like toolbars and stuff from Google. Get rid of any you do not use.

2 - Install and run TweakNow Registry Cleaner( free ). Clean the registry, defrag the registry, clean tracks, and use the disc cleaner. This will most likely remove some left over trace elements.

3 - Go through and delete old files, clean out your e-mail, etc... basically do a bit of house cleaning.

4 - Install and run Defraggler( disc defragmenting software - free )or another top rated 3rd party defragment tool. Do a full or complete defrag of your hard drive vs. a quick defrag. You can use the Windows built in one but better results can be had with a good 3rd party one.

This should really help your overall system performance. Works well for me when I deal with things like you have been.

Good luck with it and hope your problems are over.
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back