Fuel System Cleaning 30000 Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone . My 2012 Nissan Versa is approaching its scheduled 30000 mile maintainence. Basics such as oil change, air filter, cabin air filter, etc are recomended. The dealer wants a stupid price if nearly $300 for work I can do myself. The dealer brochure says gas tank fuel system cleaner. I assume this would be something like BG44K. What I want to know is, what fuel system treatment should I use in my car for the 30000 mile service? I need something I can get locally from Walmart or mainstream autoparts store. Thanks for the help.

$300 for 30000 mile maintenance?!?!!??!!?!? That's insane.

Guess they want to make the money they didn't make when they sold you the Nissan Versa.

It is probably just a $1 bottle from the dollar store.

There's no reason to replace the cabin air filter. I'd do it all yourself.

Unless you have noticeable drivability problems it doesn't really NEED anything, for PM you might want a new fuel filter and a bottle of Redline/Techron but at 30k miles it's probably not necessary.

You'd do just as well to use top tier superpremiumvpowernitro for the next 2 or 3 fill ups..

What Olas said above and ....

A bottle of Techron or Gummout and you're good.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
Put a bottle of techron in your gas tank and call it a day

+1 I usually throw one in before an oil change. Your car shouldn't require a fuel service from the dealer every 30k.

Unless you habitually buy your gas from no name cheapo places, there should be no need. Reputable branded fuel has all the system cleaners you should ever need.

People here still can't accept that fact that gasoline is a solvent in itself.Good for the Tehcron folks I guess!

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
Unless you habitually buy your gas from no name cheapo places, there should be no need. Reputable branded fuel has all the system cleaners you should ever need.

Even the no name cheapo places buy their gas from the same refineries....

Originally Posted By: zach1900
People here still can't accept that fact that gasoline is a solvent in itself.Good for the Tehcron folks I guess!

It's very solvent, and very good with gummy stuff but not so much with the hard black 'coal' stuff, which is where other chemistries can sometimes help

Originally Posted By: philipp10

Yes, but.....The additives are added by the truckload. The stuff at Rotten Robby's does NOT have the same additives that Shell or Chevron has. Even Costco is top tier.

But the grocery store stuff I buy on occasion has a big ad on sales thing for cleaners to be added, by the tankful. I buy top tier often enough not to worry about it.

Just bought some Techron for the Jeep - it's on sale for $5 at Walmart. Bought 2 bottles.

I never use top tier gas. It's just not convenient for me. The most convenient for me is Sam's club or Delta Sonic.

Though, with the Jeep's inspection coming up soon, time to run the 91 Ethanol Free for a few weeks. That is even more out of my way than any of the top tier gas places

Originally Posted By: Olas
Originally Posted By: zach1900

It's very solvent, and very good with gummy stuff but not so much with the hard black 'coal' stuff, which is where other chemistries can sometimes help

The stuff that forms deposits on injectors is dissolved in the fuel, but then the fuel vaporizes leaving a crusty mess (think hard water deposits) unless it gets cleaned. However, cleaning fuel injectors doesn't really require that much cleaner. I would think that the valves are a considerably more difficult problem to deal with.

Yes, but.....The additives are added by the truckload. The stuff at Rotten Robby's does NOT have the same additives that Shell or Chevron has. Even Costco is top tier.

But the grocery store stuff I buy on occasion has a big ad on sales thing for cleaners to be added, by the tankful. I buy top tier often enough not to worry about it.

There's no particular reason why they couldn't have the same detergent package that one of the big brands does. Many of the big oil companies don't even have their own detergent development capability. Chevron does, but I'm not sure if Shell USA does (the Shell/ExxonMobil joint company Infineum no longer lists a detergent additive). The big detergent companies like Afton, Lubrizol, or BASF have detergent packages that they will sell to anyone. It's just a matter of who wants to buy it and at what level they use to treat their fuel. The additive companies have treatment rates to meet EPA minimum requirements as well as Top Tier.

I would guess that Rotten Robbie probably gets their fuel with whatever generic additive is available at the loading rack. They have little incentive to do anything more than that, since their operating model is based on selling at a low price.

How do you know? I would not be suprised if it all comes from the same tap....

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Just bought some Techron for the Jeep - it's on sale for $5 at Walmart. Bought 2 bottles.

I never use top tier gas. It's just not convenient for me. The most convenient for me is Sam's club or Delta Sonic.

Though, with the Jeep's inspection coming up soon, time to run the 91 Ethanol Free for a few weeks. That is even more out of my way than any of the top tier gas places

91 octane will do nothing to improve your emissions inspection. Where did you come up with that?

Originally Posted By: Miller88

91 octane will do nothing to improve your emissions inspection. Where did you come up with that?

We don't do a tailpipe sniff here. But my year Cherokee has an issue where the 2 cats under the fuel rail cause injector 3 to "vapor lock" on E10. Causes a check engine light and it won't pass inspection.

The Ethanol free gas doesn't have this problem. So until it's inspected I have to run the ethanol free gas to avoid any codes or pending codes. Then I just deal with the misfire the rest of the year.

If anything, Ethanol free gas would run the levels a bit higher. I agree that 91 is of no benefit to this engine as there is no knock sensor so it isn't going to advance the timing any more.

But $.5 a gallon more to pass inspection without drama is worth it to me.

On occasion I've dumped a bottle of Techron, a time or two I used Redline S1, a time or two I used Regane. This is among three vehicles.
Thing is, never noticed much difference. My DD dash MPG Average display, still the same with the routine to/from work highway 1-hour each way commute, before, during & after a fill + one of the cleaners mentioned.
Maybe because I almost always use Chevron, on occasion Shell?
I'm about to the point of no more anything but gas only. Maybe if I get a little rough idle, or MPG drop, I may, but other than that I dunno.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back