Royal Purple 5w30 HPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
If RP's HPS is similar to their old Synerlec oil,my 20W50 UOA showed these additives:

Moly-118
Zinc-1191
Phos-1161
Boron-32
Calcium-2801

HPS is supposed to have Zn and Ph in the 1200 ppm range so it should be similar to your VOA.

I just got back from a giant car show/drag race event this weekend.There were alot of people using Royal Purple HPS in their rides FWIW.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
I'm interested in the additive package.

The oil does not "technically" meet OEM approvals for my application.

All a voa is gonna tell you is if the oil is serviceable. I'm going out on a limb and guessing it is.
A voa can only see mineral and metallic adds. Nothing organic which as we've learned here can make up a significant part of the additive package.
So you'll see how much zddp is in it and tbn.
Coulda got that from the pqi site.
It's your money.
I'm a rp fan. I like their stuff and if I could find it priced reasonably I'd use it.

Originally Posted By: RazorsEdge
I just got back from a giant car show/drag race event this weekend.There were alot of people using Royal Purple HPS in their rides FWIW.

When I'm at the speedway there are a lot of RP HPS 5W30 users as well. In fact that's the oil going into my Audi next.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

All a voa is gonna tell you is if the oil is serviceable. I'm going out on a limb and guessing it is.
A voa can only see mineral and metallic adds. Nothing organic which as we've learned here can make up a significant part of the additive package.

It's your money.
I'm a rp fan. I like their stuff and if I could find it priced reasonably I'd use it.

When did PQIA do testing on RP HPS? I know they did the API line but I never heard anything about them testing RP's HPS oils? You sure about that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Originally Posted By: Clevy

It's your money.

When did PQIA do testing on RP HPS? I know they did the API line but I never heard anything about them testing RP's HPS oils? You sure about that.

PQIA has not tested HPS, but it is up in the VOA section now for all to view! It looks great!
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Just wanted to add my short experience with HPS 10W-40: I have a '13 Citroen with a 1.6 litre diesel-engine. It's known to be a reliable engine but with quite some diesel-knocking-sound. Same engine is used in several brands like BMW, Peugeot, Ford and Volvo's. After last service at 40.000KMs/25.000M (still in warrranty, so I have to let the garage change oil to their original Esso-something), I replaced the brand new Esso-oil to the HPS. No big imidiate change, but after a few days of driving the diesel-knocking is pretty much halved, MPG is raised from 48 to 55 (5.1l/100KM) on equal conditions. What surprised me most is the power gain: In our daily route we drive a steep hill where I used to maintain speed at 90KM/h / 55Mph with flat pedal in 5th gear, now it slowly raise to 95-96KM/h / 59Mph, at equal conditions.
The numbers is pretty much the same as I have seen on my other cars (and motorcycles for that matter) when changing to RP from dino-something, but it surprised me that I got this numbers on a new and modern, low-friction engine.
BTW: Here in Norway I pay approx $20/quart for this, while i.e. Mobil 1 ESP 0W-40 is $29.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fikse
Just wanted to add my short experience with HPS 10W-40: I have a '13 Citroen with a 1.6 litre diesel-engine. It's known to be a reliable engine but with quite some diesel-knocking-sound. Same engine is used in several brands like BMW, Peugeot, Ford and Volvo's. After last service at 40.000KMs/25.000M (still in warrranty, so I have to let the garage change oil to their original Esso-something), I replaced the brand new Esso-oil to the HPS. No big imidiate change, but after a few days of driving the diesel-knocking is pretty much halved, MPG is raised from 48 to 55 (5.1l/100KM) on equal conditions. What surprised me most is the power gain: In our daily route we drive a steep hill where I used to maintain speed at 90KM/h / 55Mph with flat pedal in 5th gear, now it slowly raise to 95-96KM/h / 59Mph, at equal conditions.
The numbers is pretty much the same as I have seen on my other cars (and motorcycles for that matter) when changing to RP from dino-something, but it surprised me that I got this numbers on a new and modern, low-friction engine.
BTW: Here in Norway I pay approx $20/quart for this, while i.e. Mobil 1 ESP 0W-40 is $29.

thumbsup2.gif

I like it and know many others who are happy with RP HPS oil as well.

Keep on truckin!
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back