Permatex Gasket Maker - is it Silicone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The North Country (far northern NY State)
because on the Amazon website, where I ordered it - the description said quite clearly "Silicone Gasket Maker" but now it's arrived and I can't find the word "Silicone" anywhere on the package - just Ultra Black Advanced Formula Maximum Oil Resistant Gasket Maker. even on the back, nothing about silicone anywhere.

fyi, this is for the rear differential cover for my 2003 Ford Ranger, which as it turns out, does not use a pre-made gasket but rather a silicone one. I spotted a leak when my mechanic put the truck up on the rack to change the oil a couple of weeks ago. There was so much crud on the cover I decided just to buy a new cover, which I have now, and the Permatex I ordered online as it is so much cheaper.

But did I get the right stuff?

Last edited:
I believe there is an aftermarket gasket you can buy, but Ford doesn't use one from the factory...just the silicone.

The Ultra Black will work just fine, although for stuff like this I prefer "The Right Stuff".

permatex-r-the-right-stuff-r-brochure-320125_1b.jpg

Ultra Black is excellent, it has more adhesive properties than just orange or blue silicone IMO. I used the black for many years on an old Honda Accord with a stripped out oil-pan drain plug. It would not get more than finger tight on its own - the Ultra black held it on with no leaks. If you have to have one silicone, that's the one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back