A/C 3/8" impact available?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to add something like this to my tool inventory. Mostly for lighter to medium size fasteners on older stuff where years and rust are involved. Heat and penetrants are good, but would like to add in some chattering and vibration. Variable torque would be nice. Everything I've found seems to be air and battery. Am I missing something?-thanks

I can't find anything in impact+corded+3/8 either. There's probably a reason for that. To me, the whole point of using 3/8 (versus 1/2) impact sockets is getting into tight spots.

I've never liked corded impacts because they are all so huge. I recently helped a friend with a front strut job, his corded 1/2 was mostly useless because it wouldn't fit between the strut and the fender. It only came into its own compressing and uncompressing the springs, off vehicle.

I have a Dewalt 18V impact at work. If it won't loosen a nut/bolt you'll just end up snapping it off with a breaker bar.

If you buy a battery-powered impact be sure it has lithium batteries.

Edit: just saw you're looking for 3/8". We use our Milwaukee 18V impact driver at work on any fastener below 3/4" and it works great, it just has a tendency to snap the socket adapters off -- at least they're cheap.

Last edited:
almost all the corded electric impacts are 1/2"

if you want 3/8 or 1/4 in a quality tool you will need to go air or cordless.

Makita does make a 3/8 impact but its very weak.

I've had some luck with using the universal joint with my 1/2" corded to get to some tight spots. I don't think any of the cheaper corded ones have variable torque.
I also have a impact adapter that attaches to a cordless drill, which is variable speed so it could do more delicate work. I mostly use if for lugs though as it might do up to 150-175ft/lbs? I guess I could attach it to the 90 degree adapter for the drill to get down to maybe 8" access? Never tried it though.

I don't see the 3/8" Makita with AC power-any link? Too bad so many compete in the same battery products while leaving another area alone. I have a DC Dewald variable torque driver, but really don't care to deal with batteries for occasional use.

Get Lithium one and you will be wondering how did I managed to live without it before! Store it inside the house and the battery will be still holding charge six month down the road.

Other than the fact that the 1/2" units have a very large motor (not a bad thing necessarily if you want to do anything of value), why bot just get a 1/2 -> 3/8 impact rated reducer and use that?

The DC impact units (running off battery) are much more compact. Id look at the milwaukee fuel ones myself...

Originally Posted By: Lapham3
I don't see the 3/8" Makita with AC power-any link? Too bad so many compete in the same battery products while leaving another area alone. I have a DC Dewald variable torque driver, but really don't care to deal with batteries for occasional use.

its actually discontinued.
The new model is a hex impact driver 88ft/lb and
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-2-8-Amp-1-4-in-Impact-Driver-6952/203162021

my 2 year old porter cable 20v impact driver does 150ft/lb and with li-ion batteries its very dependable. The self-discharge is also low.

IIRC I paid 65$ for the tool with 1 battery

If you do go with a hex impact driver make sure you get impact rated adapters. the cheapo ones are dangerous.

http://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-PCCK640LB-20-volt-4-Inch-Lithium/dp/B009JBBF0K

That is the one I have it goes on sale at lowes for 99$ with 2 batteries a couple times a year.
or 129$ with an additional tool.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
Originally Posted By: Lapham3

its actually discontinued.
The new model is a hex impact driver 88ft/lb and
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-2-8-Amp-1-4-in-Impact-Driver-6952/203162021

my 2 year old porter cable 20v impact driver does 150ft/lb and with li-ion batteries its very dependable. The self-discharge is also low.

IIRC I paid 65$ for the tool with 1 battery

If you do go with a hex impact driver make sure you get impact rated adapters. the cheapo ones are dangerous.

http://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-PCCK640LB-20-volt-4-Inch-Lithium/dp/B009JBBF0K

That is the one I have it goes on sale at lowes for 99$ with 2 batteries a couple times a year.
or 129$ with an additional tool.

I have this impact as well. It works good for what I do, I can remove 100's of bolts on one charge. That being said, I'd rather have an M12 Fuel 3/8 for automotive work. I don't believe the 150ft lb rating for a second, maybe when lightning strikes it, but not in real world use. It won't remove lug nuts that are torqued to 75 ft lbs.

Corded 3/8 impacts don't exist because they aren't practical. An AC motor that develops sufficient torque would make it very large, mitigating the appeal of a 3/8 drive. Look how much bigger and heavier the 1/2" drive AC impacts are compared to their pneumatic counterparts. Air impacts are a lot more powerful too.

Go cordless or air. Milwaukee M12 for cordless, Aircat or IR for air.

my PC impact takes off my lugnuts@85ft-lbs

I did buy good impact adapters. The cheap ones soak up too much of the impact.

That being said sometimes it takes a few sec.

I will usually go around with a breaker bar and loosen them all a quarter turn or so. I have actually put them back on at over 100ft-lb if im not careful then I have to loosen and retorque.

The key to decent torque on those is the impact adapter.

I also have a corded IR impact but taking about 2 min with a breaker bar(for all 4 wheels) then zipping them off and on with the PC impact is still very convenient and easier on the lugnuts.

I recently upgraded my Air compressor and have a retractable hose as well... So next tool might be a nice Nano-impact or aircat.

Something small would be nice the battery powered PC with impact adapter is abit long for some work.

http://www.amazon.com/Astro-Pneumatic-Tool-1822-Impact/dp/B00VTQIURE

Seems like an extremely handy tool.

or an AIRCAT 1055-TH

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
my PC impact takes off my lugnuts@85ft-lbs

I did buy good impact adapters. The cheap ones soak up too much of the impact.

That being said sometimes it takes a few sec.

I will usually go around with a breaker bar and loosen them all a quarter turn or so. I have actually put them back on at over 100ft-lb if im not careful then I have to loosen and retorque.

The key to decent torque on those is the impact adapter.

I also have a corded IR impact but taking about 2 min with a breaker bar(for all 4 wheels) then zipping them off and on with the PC impact is still very convenient and easier on the lugnuts.

I recently upgraded my Air compressor and have a retractable hose as well... So next tool might be a nice Nano-impact or aircat.

Something small would be nice the battery powered PC with impact adapter is abit long for some work.

http://www.amazon.com/Astro-Pneumatic-Tool-1822-Impact/dp/B00VTQIURE

Seems like an extremely handy tool.

or an AIRCAT 1055-TH

We may not be referring to the same gun, mine is the one that was on sale during Black Friday last year, the kit with a drill, impact, and two batteries for 99 bucks. I have been using a Dewalt 1/4 hex to 3/8 square impact adapter.

I have pulled a couple lug nuts with it, but only on a full charge, and even then it takes a while. Once the battery wears down to normal use conditions, forget about it.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
I can't find anything in impact+corded+3/8 either. There's probably a reason for that. To me, the whole point of using 3/8 (versus 1/2) impact sockets is getting into tight spots.

I've never liked corded impacts because they are all so huge. I recently helped a friend with a front strut job, his corded 1/2 was mostly useless because it wouldn't fit between the strut and the fender. It only came into its own compressing and uncompressing the springs, off vehicle.

Here it is in 1/4" http://www.amazon.com/Makita-6952-2-3-Im...impact+3%2F8%22

... And, here it is cordless (battery and charger need to be bought.) http://www.toolbarn.com/milwaukee-2463-20.html?gclid=CKCFyeS328cCFUQSHwodzDwMiw&ad=54712193894

Originally Posted By: InfmousCornholio
Originally Posted By: HangFire

Here it is in 1/4" http://www.amazon.com/Makita-6952-2-3-Im...impact+3%2F8%22

... And, here it is cordless (battery and charger need to be bought.) http://www.toolbarn.com/milwaukee-2463-20.html?gclid=CKCFyeS328cCFUQSHwodzDwMiw&ad=54712193894

Nope, sorry! That is not "it". The first link is a corded impact DRIVER, not impact WRENCH. Impact drivers require a socket adapter, and the extra linkage soaks up some of the impact (and with 88.5 ft-lb it doesn't have any to spare).

The second link is a cordless. I bet that would be darn handy for mechanical assembly work! Maybe car interiors like dashboards as well. But under the hood, 100 ft-lbs, well, it could be handy but I'm still holding out for a subcompact 3/8 air impact with around 300-350 ft pounds as Astro Pneumatic has hinted is coming.

Well, to add to this. I ended up buying a Milwaukee angle 3/8 drive impact wrench. I'll probably need to source a larger capacity battery than the lowest level that came with it. It has a switch between 30lb torque 60lb, but as I played with it tightening up hardware on a couple garage doors, it's less than that. The impact pulses are good tho. For my purposes I think it will be OK.

Is it less than that if you let it impact on the fastener for a while? Or does the end torque level get to around there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back