How do you clean copper in bore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Originally Posted By: Stewart Fan
Its just my opinion,but if the rifle is shooting well leave the barrel alone.

More barrels are ruined by improper cleaning techniques than having some fouling in them.

Cannot tell you how many bores I have seen ruined on old mil surp guns from this. Enfields used to be issued with a cleaning rope that would be contaminated by dirt and grit and pulled through, ruining the bore at the end of the barrel. You see lots of old Mosin Nagants backbored because of abuse at the muzzle end from similar issues.

I bought a case of the gunslick foaming bore cleaner. Stuff is pretty darn goood, even busts up the corrosive primer residue very well on its own for us guys out there shooting old ammo through Mausers, Mosins, and Enfields.

Even more were ruined by firing corrosive ammo and not cleaning them adequately and/or quickly enough. Which can be a problem when in combat.

BSW

Originally Posted By: bsmithwins
Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Originally Posted By: Stewart Fan
Its just my opinion,but if the rifle is shooting well leave the barrel alone.

More barrels are ruined by improper cleaning techniques than having some fouling in them.

Cannot tell you how many bores I have seen ruined on old mil surp guns from this. Enfields used to be issued with a cleaning rope that would be contaminated by dirt and grit and pulled through, ruining the bore at the end of the barrel. You see lots of old Mosin Nagants backbored because of abuse at the muzzle end from similar issues.

I bought a case of the gunslick foaming bore cleaner. Stuff is pretty darn goood, even busts up the corrosive primer residue very well on its own for us guys out there shooting old ammo through Mausers, Mosins, and Enfields.

Even more were ruined by firing corrosive ammo and not cleaning them adequately and/or quickly enough. Which can be a problem when in combat.

BSW

Yes but in those cases you see what looks like a sewer pipe when you look down the bore. I was talking about otherwise good bores that have the last 3 or 4 inches annihilated by poor quality cleaning tools like the brits did with their cleaning ropes.

Of course, as long as there shot MOBG (Minute of bad guy)that is all they really cared.

If copper fouling befouls my shooting I usually use a modified version of Hoppe's No. 9 from the formula in Hatcher's Notebook. I don't have all of the chemicals listed but I do have ammonium oleate (homemade) and nitrobenzene which both act as copper solvents. I don't use it all of the time.

Your gun is not a bolt action, and I forget the action construction of this particular lever gun, so I do not know if this would be easy.

I take household ammonia solution that I get from Smart & Final. I fill a plastic bucket, put the muzzle in the liquid and use a jag & rod to pump it in and out of the bore, inserting the rod in the breech. The liquid gets green fast and pretty soon all the copper is gone. Then with dry patches and oil I finish up.

This has worked great for over 20 years for me. I like bolt guns and single shots because they are just so much easier to clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back