combined tire threads by Ram Man

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well its between the altimax and the ta11 ta71 im nervous because tire rack doesnt have much info about the kumhos. Will they handle last and do as good in inclinate weather compared to the generals?

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
They don't have much info because they're new tires. The RT43 has been around a few years.

I know but it makes me leary . Another thing its sad how few tires are made in america.

Last edited:
Kumho is at least as good as General. You should be happy with the TA71, and they're exactly what I'd get if I was shopping for tires
smile.gif

But, if US-made is important to you, then your tire of choice is the Dunlop Signature II, which is US-made in all sizes.

I was reading about the cooper cs5 touring tires. Apparently they d9 very well. Picking between the c5 the altimax and the kumho ta11 and ta71 which way would you lean? Any personal experience with the cooper tires?

Originally Posted By: ram_man
I was reading about the cooper cs5 touring tires. Apparently they d9 very well. Picking between the c5 the altimax and the kumho ta11 and ta71 which way would you lean? Any personal experience with the cooper tires?

Love the CS5 Grand Tourings on our CR-V. Great grip in rain and cornering stability. I will note that after about 15,000 miles on them, they're not as quiet as they used to be but still leagues better than what was on before.

Just wondering when shopping for tires how much should i look into the mileage Warranty? My contipro contacts at 18,000 are at 3/32 so how much should i trust the warranty on other tires? Like the altimax?

Just wondering when shopping for tires how much should i look into the mileage Warranty? My contipro contacts at 18,000 are at 3/32 so how much should i trust the warranty on other tires? Like the altimax?

OEM tires usually die early. Its part of the compromise to get ultra low rolling resistance for every last mpg.

The warranty protects you its not a definitive answer on how long they are going to last.

Looks like the DTD sale is going to be 160$ off select tires and lessor amounts off others.

Last edited:

It depends on the car. Some cars are hard on tire, my 2000 E430 is hard on tire the OEM(235/45-17) was Goodyear Eagle F1 lasted 14k miles, aftermarket lasted average 18-25k miles.

The rear tire of my S2000 lasted average 10-12k miles, front is about 70-100% longer.

The OEM Continental of my daughter 2014 Accord has more than 6/32" remaining after 28k miles, I expect it will lasted more than 55-60k miles.

Alright guys here is where i am at.
I can get tires at work and pay cost which doesnt save a whole lot but it does save some and is cheaper than tire rack. I looked at our venders selection and heres what ive narrowed it to.
1. Fuzion touring 51.51 a tire made by bridgestone thats why i am considering it.
2. General altimax rt43 60.60 a piece i have heard good things.but i believe they are made by the same company that makes my continentals and they wore out very quickly.
3. Toyo extensa 58.56 ive heard good things but havent ever owned them or really worked with them much.
I can say this ive noticed these things working on cars and tires alot. Michelins commonly have dry rot Crack on sidewall after just a couple years. Ive seen several good years with broken belts . Other than those 2 brands other than generic stuff i haven't noticed many trends . Keep in mind i also see more gy and michelins than say bridgestone or coopers ect. We've used fuzion on a couple rental cars we have and No issue's have arisen from them but i can't really comment on how they drive ect. Thanks everyone.

RT43s for sure. I had them put on the 1970 Beetle in March (not much of a car comparison lol) but it is amazing the difference compared to the old Prime Well tires that were full of tread.

Toyo has a rather silly childish distribution system, which severely limits their availability, hence the few reviews on them. Toyo is a name brand, and is OE on some cars, but many of their tires are Chinese, and the Extensa might be.

Out of those three, pick the RT43.

I can get tires at work and pay cost which doesnt save a whole lot but it does save some and is cheaper than tire rack. I looked at our venders selection and heres what ive narrowed it to.
1. Fuzion touring 51.51 a tire made by bridgestone thats why i am considering it.
2. General altimax rt43 60.60 a piece i have heard good things.but i believe they are made by the same company that makes my continentals and they wore out very quickly.
3. Toyo extensa 58.56 ive heard good things but havent ever owned them or really worked with them much.
I can say this ive noticed these things working on cars and tires alot. Michelins commonly have dry rot Crack on sidewall after just a couple years. Ive seen several good years with broken belts . Other than those 2 brands other than generic stuff i haven't noticed many trends . Keep in mind i also see more gy and michelins than say bridgestone or coopers ect. We've used fuzion on a couple rental cars we have and No issue's have arisen from them but i can't really comment on how they drive ect. Thanks everyone.

OK so going to say this again. I think its probably at least the 50th or more time someone has said this ... in the last year.

OEM TIRES =/= Aftermarket tires

Now grouping Aftermarket GENERAL Altimax 43 tires in with OEM Continentals that's going way to far into the twilight zone. BLAME THE CAR MANUFACTURER for your [censored] wearing OEM TIRES. They are the ones who spec'ed the special OEM tires for your vehicle.

You have been recommended the same tires then you don't take any recommendations and go off on a tangent with new inferior tires. Its like you need meds.

The Altimax rt43 are Amazing tires for the price.

Originally Posted By: Rand

OK so going to say this again. I think its probably at least the 50th or more time someone has said this ... in the last year.

OEM TIRES =/= Aftermarket tires

Now grouping Aftermarket GENERAL Altimax 43 tires in with OEM Continentals that's going way to far into the twilight zone. BLAME THE CAR MANUFACTURER for your [censored] wearing OEM TIRES. They are the ones who spec'ed the special OEM tires for your vehicle.

You have been recommended the same tires then you don't take any recommendations and go off on a tangent with new inferior tires. Its like you need meds.

The Altimax rt43 are Amazing tires for the price.

Are you absolutely confused?
I expressed hesitation because the current tires that are made by the same people wore out in short order ....is that insane to be leary of? Generally when i have a bad experience with something I don't runnback for another dose. So i am skeptical and you say the toyos are inferior could you elaborate ? The trouble is their is limited info about them. And ive read tons of folks saying the altimax is good and it may well be but yes due to the continentals i am a little hesitant.

Yes because they arent related

Thats like saying you think a 2016 Chevy 3500 might be junk because you owned a Chevy Corsica 15 years ago
No relation.

There are about 5 kinds of altimax tires.
They are not very similar to each other.

Toyo has some good tires. All tire manufacturer's have good and bad tire models.

There is one thing in common the vast majority of OEM Rubber have design priorities that are usually not the new car owner's priorities. Which leads to disappointment with OEM tires.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Yes because they arent related

Thats like saying you think a 2016 Chevy 3500 might be junk because you owned a Chevy Corsica 15 years ago
No relation.

There are about 5 kinds of altimax tires.
They are not very similar to each other.

Toyo has some good tires. All tire manufacturer's have good and bad tire models.

There is one thing in common the vast majority of OEM Rubber have design priorities that are usually not the new car owner's priorities. Which leads to disappointment with OEM tires.

Agreed on all points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back